Options

How badass is I GOT ID!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    a perfect song
  • Options
    For me it's the liine "all the advantage this life's got on me, picture a cup in the middle of the sea." (As you might have guessed).

I am ushered back to my childhood when things felt pretty bleak and overwhelming. One of my recurrent nightmares as a child was literally of being lost at sea (probably explained by a near drowning experience when I was 4).

The ocean is vast. We are small and fragile. Life can be overwhelming for the powerless.

Ed gets it just right in this song. He's gone to the ocean metaphor maybe one too many times with his lyrics but this one hits me just right .
    release30 wrote:
    I have that same feeling...
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 715
    whats most precious is Neil Youngs Mirror Ball from which the Merkin Ball Single came about
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Just saw Neil live last night in Reno. Amazing show! It got me thinking about this song and how great Neil hits the solo. This is one of the rare PJ songs that doesn't sound better live. The studio version is miles ahead of the live one. I'd love to hear them play it live with Neil someday. I remember reading that Mike didn't like playing it because he could never hit the solo like Neil. For someone like Mike to admit he can't pull it off tells you just how great Neil is.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    lastexit78 wrote:
    Just saw Neil live last night in Reno. Amazing show! It got me thinking about this song and how great Neil hits the solo. This is one of the rare PJ songs that doesn't sound better live. The studio version is miles ahead of the live one. I'd love to hear them play it live with Neil someday. I remember reading that Mike didn't like playing it because he could never hit the solo like Neil. For someone like Mike to admit he can't pull it off tells you just how great Neil is.

Agree 100%. The studio version is in my top 10 PJ recordings ever.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Agree 100%. The studio version is in my top 10 PJ recordings ever.

I'm with you too. I'd love to hear it live, but I just don't think they can capture this song's power like they did in the studio.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    release30 wrote:
    Just freakin' love this song.............

its definitely BADDA$$. Which do u like better? Studio? or LIVE!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    this song so awesome - definitely one of my favs
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Great song.
    Never get sick of hearing this

I actually heard it on the radio the other day; which really shocked me.

It sounded great.

Neil's solo is near perfection; one of my absolute favorites.

Neil and Pearl Jam should record another album.
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Also, I prefer calling it "I got shit" but when people call it by it's other name "I got Id" they usually say I got I.D. but it's actually Id, pronounced as if you were taking the word "skid" and leaving off the "sk" sound (lol I Got Skids).... The word comes from the Id, ego and super-ego if you're familiar with Freud. In short the Id is part of the unconscious that comprises the unorganised part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives. Go go psychology!

I couldn't agree more. I hear I.D. all the time...dumbasses
  • Options
    I Got Id ??? ... I don't know this song ... maybe I Got Shit :D
    Yeah it's definitely a badass song.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I remember vividly the very first two times I heard this song. First was when they played it first live for the first time in San Jose Spartan Stadium...Nov 4 1995. That was one of my lifes best days.

Then a few weeks or months after that I am listening to the radio and they play it. I tuned in like a freak and listened like I was gonna win a million bucks or something. I immediately called the station and asked about a song I thought might be called "Walk the Line" That song was heavy and impactful. Can't believe 15 years later im still in love with it and talking about it. It's easily still one of my favorites.

I'll always sorta remember I got Id as "Walk the Line"
  • Options
    topetope Posts: 37
    I'd love to hear them play it live with Neil someday. I remember reading that Mike didn't like playing it because he could never hit the solo like Neil. For someone like Mike to admit he can't pull it off tells you just how great Neil is.[/quote]

Forgive me my ignorance, but on the studio recording is it Neil playing the solo? I went to have a look, and then realised I only own it on vinyl, which has no info about the musicianship.

I fully agree with this song having it's own thread - I remember vividly getting it on CD single when it came out, and being completely swept away by both it and Long Road. Just beautiful, classic tracks. That also go off, especially I Got Shit, perhaps that's one of it's strengths, it has the ability to calm me down or amp me up....
  • Options
    TipJammer wrote:
    I remember vividly the very first two times I heard this song. First was when they played it first live for the first time in San Jose Spartan Stadium...Nov 4 1995. That was one of my lifes best days.

Then a few weeks or months after that I am listening to the radio and they play it. I tuned in like a freak and listened like I was gonna win a million bucks or something. I immediately called the station and asked about a song I thought might be called "Walk the Line" That song was heavy and impactful. Can't believe 15 years later im still in love with it and talking about it. It's easily still one of my favorites.

I'll always sorta remember I got Id as "Walk the Line"

They first played it live on February 21, 1995 in Osaka, Japan.
    tope wrote:
    Forgive me my ignorance, but on the studio recording is it Neil playing the solo? I went to have a look, and then realised I only own it on vinyl, which has no info about the musicianship.

Yes. The performers on the studio version are Ed (vocals, guitar), Neil (lead guitar), Brendan O'Brien (bass), and Jack Irons (drums).
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    It's my 2nd favorite song right under In My Tree

I second that
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

6/13/99 ;6/18/03 ;6/21/03 ;10/02/04 ;10/03/04; 9/12/05 ;5/16/06 ;5/17/06 ;5/19/06 ;5/20/06; 6/24/06 ;6/30/06; 8/21/08; 8/22/08
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    SENROCK! wrote:
    its definitely BADDA$$. Which do u like better? Studio? or LIVE!

Studio by far!!!!!!!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    I had a long road trip and I listened to this and "Long Road" numerous times on that trip. It ended up going super fast!

You guys already hit on everything I was gonna say about Neil's solo work. His solo on this song is just transcendant. Mind-blowing stuff.

This song is a real gem. Absolutely love it.
  • Options
    emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    seriously even though it's IMPOSSIBLE to name your "favorite song" with these boys....i got shit and in my tree have always been in their own category with me. by far my two favorites. i got shit is just...damn. genius.
  • Options
    really cool to play on guitar too!
    good idea.....I'll try:)
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    Eddie sure had some balls singing this song in 08. That line "never got to hold my only bribe" probably had him sleeping on the couch.
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    heard it on the radio today for the first time. so rock!
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, this is easily my favorite PJ song. There is just something about it that is so perfect. And the emotional tone is just flawless.

This is my first pick for songs I have to hear at one of the live shows. The studio version is absolutely amazing. But I would love to see it live in person.
  • Options
    They first played it live on February 21, 1995 in Osaka, Japan.

YUP - and I was there!
    The performers on the studio version are Ed (vocals, guitar), Neil (lead guitar), Brendan O'Brien (bass), and Jack Irons (drums).

Isn't it funny how this release was even a "Pearl Jam" single? I mean, it's only Ed and Jack, who at that point had only been in the band a few months, + Brendan and Neil. I always found that interesting. Those 4 should get back together and record an album - it would probably be one of the most kick-ass records ever!
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    I remember a friend taped a live show off the radio for me, I think in '98, Pearl Jam live from Melbourne aired on JJJ radio. As I was listening to it live I was feeling mighty depressed because my parents hadn't let me go see them play on that tour, and that song just stood out to me. I just about wore the tape out listening to it and that song in particular I could listen to over and over again. Still the best version I have ever heard since.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    YUP - and I was there!

Isn't it funny how this release was even a "Pearl Jam" single? I mean, it's only Ed and Jack, who at that point had only been in the band a few months, + Brendan and Neil. I always found that interesting. Those 4 should get back together and record an album - it would probably be one of the most kick-ass records ever!

Ya know I'm glad you brought this up. I too always found this funny, yet strange. Mainly, because the idea for "merkinball" was technically to acompany the Mirrorball record which all pj members played on. (Did Brenden O Brien produce that record??). Anyhow the album came out with only Neil's name on the cover due to a record label refusal of including Pearl jam's name even though they were the backing band for the record. I actually forgot that Merkinball was just Ed and Jack of pj, yet it came out as a Pearl jam b side disc single.
    I also think that it would be amazing if Neil Ed, Brenden, and Jack made a record together like a full length disc, that would be amazing I'm sure. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    (Did Brenden O Brien produce that record??)

Yup...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_Ball_(Neil_Young_album)
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,283
    I have it as my ringtone

Great Song
  • Options
    Got to hear this song live in Camden in 1998, what a show!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    release30 wrote:
    Just freakin' love this song.............
    +1 :]
    me too!!
  • Options
    YUP - and I was there!

Right, but the performers on Long Road are Ed, Neil, Jeff, and Jack, so that's a little closer to the Pearl Jam line-up at the time.
    red mos wrote:
    Ya know I'm glad you brought this up. I too always found this funny, yet strange. Mainly, because the idea for "merkinball" was technically to acompany the Mirrorball record which all pj members played on. (Did Brenden O Brien produce that record??). Anyhow the album came out with only Neil's name on the cover due to a record label refusal of including Pearl jam's name even though they were the backing band for the record. I actually forgot that Merkinball was just Ed and Jack of pj, yet it came out as a Pearl jam b side disc single.
    I also think that it would be amazing if Neil Ed, Brenden, and Jack made a record together like a full length disc, that would be amazing I'm sure. :D

Brendan produced Mirror Ball, but Brett Eliason produced Merkin Ball.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too