Options

How badass is I GOT ID!!!!!!!!!!

release30release30 Posts: 2,051
edited November 2008 in The Porch
Just freakin' love this song.............
Conversations getting dull
There's a constant ringing in my ears
Sense of humor's void and numb
And I'm bored to tears.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    Definitely in the top 5 best PJ songs. Anyone who doesn't like this song should be beaten with a stiff shoe
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    Definitely in the top 5 best PJ songs. Anyone who doesn't like this song should be beaten with a stiff shoe[/quote

Or a crowbar
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    release30 wrote:
    Definitely in the top 5 best PJ songs. Anyone who doesn't like this song should be beaten with a stiff shoe[/quote

Or a crowbar

Why not both? :D
    It's definitely one of my top PJ songs. Always loved it!
  • Options
    Just heard it on the radio and I got the chills
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    i think it's so under-rated...it is SUCH a good song and I love to hear it live...perhaps in Tampa??
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    I Got ID/Shit on Touring Band 2000 is so fucking amazing, it's sickening.
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    really cool to play on guitar too!
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    really cool to play on guitar too!

Yeah. Pretty easy too.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    It's my 2nd favorite song right under In My Tree
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It's my 2nd favorite song right under In My Tree
    Stephen Flow's favorite song isn't Even Flow???
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Stephen Flow's favorite song isn't Even Flow???

haha

No it isn't, although I do love Even Flow dearly, but my favorite songs are ones that really hit close to home.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Their greatest song!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Errrrrrrrm can somebody just remind what album it's off so i can find it on my pc and give it a listen please? :o

Tsk and i call myself a fan!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Errrrrrrrm can somebody just remind what album it's off so i can find it on my pc and give it a listen please? :o

Tsk and i call myself a fan!

Merkin Ball, but it's best live
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    Also, I prefer calling it "I got shit" but when people call it by it's other name "I got Id" they usually say I got I.D. but it's actually Id, pronounced as if you were taking the word "skid" and leaving off the "sk" sound (lol I Got Skids).... The word comes from the Id, ego and super-ego if you're familiar with Freud. In short the Id is part of the unconscious that comprises the unorganised part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives. Go go psychology!
  • Options
    SilverSeedSilverSeed Posts: 336
    By badass do you mean completely depressing? Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite PJ songs. But it kind of makes me want to curl up in the corner and die...
    When Jesus said "Love your enemies" he probably didn't mean kill them...

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you." -Deep Toughts, Jack Handy
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531

Aaah of course! I was racking my brain trying to think of the album too!

Pistoia 06 has a great version, i always thought it was called I Got Shit?? :o

* just read post above explaing id meaning!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I remember when it came out in '95 - my wife was really sick in the Hospital for a week. I would walk out to my car at night and listen to it a few times.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Yes, it is an excellent song. Also keep in mind that the b-side to that is Long Road, which is also in my top 5. I wish they put out about 8 more songs on that Merkin Ball with the quality of ID and Long Road.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I adore this song, maybe because I feel like am connected with it's message, which I guess I am. "Black" is another favorite of mine, but again the message has been so realistic in my life. Actually I think we have all felt the emotions of both of these songs, such heartbreaking emotion, but I still love these songs.

Ed said one of the funniest intros when he played "I got shit" in Dallas the last time they were here. The band decided to play a joke on the crowd and had a folder that said "WMD" on it. Ed said there was a matching folder underneath one of the seats, sent people scrambling like crazy. He then said the people that find it, there are backstage passes in there and to come hang out with the band at Encore. Ed then said, For those of you who don't have the folder of passes, well that means "You've got shit" and you can relate to this song." There really were no backstage passes, just a joke amongst the band, but the whole concept was pretty funny. Later he said "so nobody has found the WMD?"
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    red mos wrote:
    I adore this song, maybe because I feel like am connected with it's message, which I guess I am. "Black" is another favorite of mine, but again the message has been so realistic in my life. Actually I think we have all felt the emotions of both of these songs, such heartbreaking emotion, but I still love these songs.

Ed said one of the funniest intros when he played "I got shit" in Dallas the last time they were here. The band decided to play a joke on the crowd and had a folder that said "WMD" on it. Ed said there was a matching folder underneath one of the seats, sent people scrambling like crazy. He then said the people that find it, there are backstage passes in there and to come hang out with the band at Encore. Ed then said, For those of you who don't have the folder of passes, well that means "You've got shit" and you can relate to this song." There really were no backstage passes, just a joke amongst the band, but the whole concept was pretty funny. Later he said "so nobody has found the WMD?"

not as much a joke as a statement on the lack of WMDs being found in iraq.

as for the topic, i got shit is a fucking amazing song. top 10 for me.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,490
    Also, I prefer calling it "I got shit" but when people call it by it's other name "I got Id" they usually say I got I.D. but it's actually Id, pronounced as if you were taking the word "skid" and leaving off the "sk" sound (lol I Got Skids).... The word comes from the Id, ego and super-ego if you're familiar with Freud. In short the Id is part of the unconscious that comprises the unorganised part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives. Go go psychology!

Really?

Thanks.

Chewie... take the professor in the back.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    395486pj10395486pj10 Posts: 95
    There is something about this song that, for me, is so incredibly powerful. I really can't articulate what it is. It just moves me. I feel like I'm somehow a part of it.
  • Options
    395486pj10 wrote:
    There is something about this song that, for me, is so incredibly powerful. I really can't articulate what it is. It just moves me. I feel like I'm somehow a part of it.

I have that same feeling...
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    I remember listening to this song over and over trying to figure out what the fuck he was saying! Still to this day can't understand all his mumbles...but it is an amazing song. I wish they did more song sessions with Neil.
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008

Cheers to whatever the fuck you just said buddy! That was amazing! :D
    I seriously did not know that. It's a top song of mine, and I always just thought it was pronounced like I.D.
    thank you! :D
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I know the song is called "I got shit" but I always figured that they Used "I got ID" due censorship via radio policy? The song was the single of Merkinball so I just always figured that is why they called it that so they could announce it on the radio.
    I'm not disputing Stehenflow's theory, (Very interesting in fact). I also found the 6 psychology courses I took in college rather amazing, I just figured the song title was altered due to censorship. I figured the record company would figure calling it "I got ID on the cover of the album looks better then "I got Sh**. "
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    One of their best!!!!!

Love that song!!!! It's up there with Given to Fly IMO.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,588

I Got Id is my favorite Pearl Jam. Actually a very easy decision. The song is that great. I prefer the studio version though. Don't care nearly as much about the live version at all. The studio is just all around perfect.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841

I disagree........the album version with Neil Young is sublime.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II