Songs indicating the bands' near breakup

corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Those songs... they just just have this breakup/demise vibe to them. But also showing that those bands go out with a bang.

Queen - Show Must Go On

Alice In Chains - Over Now, Nutshell

Soundgarden - Tighter & Tighter
Don't go messing with machoes!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    many Fleetwood Mac songs seemed to indicate a band breakup, although it took them forever to actually do it.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    Nirvana - All Apologies
  • not really a song about them quitting, but i always thought MOTH off the last audioslave album was a perfect way for them to go out...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    they always said parting ways signified the end of Pearl jam.......thank god it didnt
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I am pretty sure that "Everybody Knows That You Are Insane" by QOTSA was Josh's farwell and good riddance to Nick...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    how about "boot camp" by soundgarden. that line "there must be something good far away from here." that sounds like somebody don't like their current situation.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Ashes to Ashes by Faith No More.

The words, mood, and music video all gave the impression that the end was near. Every one knew of the fighting within the group at the time; there was just something about Patton singing, "it's on my head." and finding out later that it was his initial idea to split up the band not long after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ASvd9gGas
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Be Good To Yourself-Journey (as bad as it may be)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    corduroy85 wrote:
    Those songs... they just just have this breakup/demise vibe to them. But also showing that those bands go out with a bang.

Queen - Show Must Go On

Alice In Chains - Over Now, Nutshell

Soundgarden - Tighter & Tighter
    Well... AIC released an entire studio album, Unplugged show and 2 non-album tracks after Jar of Flies and existed in some form for another 9 years before they broke up so Nutshell doesn't really fit the bill, especially since it was written about 10 years before the official original demise of the band. It's about the breakup of Layne's life perhaps but not the band.

One of my favourites is Salad Days by Minor Threat. Ian MacKaye didn't even want to record it but felt it was a song that deserved to be documented. He got in a few digs about his feelings towards his band members and how the demise made him feel though:

"Do you remember when? yeah... so do I. we'll call those the good old days. what a fucking lie"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Well... AIC released an entire studio album, Unplugged show and 2 non-album tracks after Jar of Flies and existed in some form for another 9 years before they broke up so Nutshell doesn't really fit the bill, especially since it was written about 10 years before the official original demise of the band. It's about the breakup of Layne's life perhaps but not the band.

One of my favourites is Salad Days by Minor Threat. Ian MacKaye didn't even want to record it but felt it was a song that deserved to be documented. He got in a few digs about his feelings towards his band members and how the demise made him feel though:

"Do you remember when? yeah... so do I. we'll call those the good old days. what a fucking lie"

Thank you, I thought Nutshell surely not.

Nutshell to me is about being stuck in a hopeless situation and not being able to see any desired exit out of that situation, just evaporating into something you never wanted but now find yourself stuck in.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    Nutshell is a great song. I really think it deals with Laynes drug addiction-depression.
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
    Yep, went too far with Nutshell and I know what the song is about. But for me it also kind of showed Layne's alienation form the whole world and from AIC as well.
    Don't go messing with machoes!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    corduroy85 wrote:
    Queen - Show Must Go On
    More about Freddie have a terminal disease than the band breaking up.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.