Bands that you love, and the covers they do that make you cringe

rheadorangerheadorange Posts: 17
edited June 2008 in Other Music
meme posted a thread about good covers, so i thought i would post a thread about bad covers. i was thinking along the lines of a band that you really like, but a cover they did that was just terrible.

i will start with the foo fighters. i love them, but there cover of baker street, and band on the run i think are horrible. i dont really like baker street in the first place, but i just cant stand it. guns and roses knockin on heavens door isnt thrilling either.
yes i aint.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Whaaat? The "Band on the Run" cover is fucking excellent.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I cannot stand the recorded PJ cover of Crazy Mary. I like it live, but the recorded version not so much.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Oasis - My Generation (not only am I sick of the song to begin with but their cover does absolutely nothing for me)

Johnny Cash - I Wont Back Down
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    meme posted a thread about good covers, so i thought i would post a thread about bad covers. i was thinking along the lines of a band that you really like, but a cover they did that was just terrible.

i will start with the foo fighters. i love them, but there cover of baker street, and band on the run i think are horrible. i dont really like baker street in the first place, but i just cant stand it. guns and roses knockin on heavens door isnt thrilling either.

love baker street. never heard the version of band on the run. their version of have a cigar is spectacular.

On a similar note, there are 3 covers that make me want to rip my eyeballs out when I hear them....I don't even know who sings them but,

- immortality (staind or seether maybe)
    - the boys of summer
    - Land of confusion by genesis ( not a great genesis song to begin with) but whoever sings it makes it much worse!
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
    love baker street. never heard the version of band on the run. their version of have a cigar is spectacular.

On a similar note, there are 3 covers that make me want to rip my eyeballs out when I hear them....I don't even know who sings them but,

- the boys of summer
    - Land of confusion by genesis ( not a great genesis song to begin with) but whoever sings it makes it much worse!

Land Of Confusion is an awesome song and I thought that was an excellent cover especially considering it is from Disturbed (a band I am not too fond of)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

- the boys of summer
    Seether did Immortality and I believe the cover of Boys of Summer was by The Ataris. Both are pretty bad, yes.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Smashing Pumpkins covering "I Need You Tonight" by The Cars. It comes close to being really good, but I swear Billy intentionally made parts of it cringe-worthy on purpose.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins covering "I Need You Tonight" by The Cars. It comes close to being really good, but I swear Billy intentionally made parts of it cringe-worthy on purpose.

Way better than the original
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I don't enjoy that "Baker Street" cover either. Should be epic, but it isn't.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Foos have some much better covers than Baker Street and Band on the Run. Iron & Stone (the Obsessed), Darling Nikki (Prince) and Down in the Park (Gary Numan) are great covers. The live version of Requiem (Killing Joke) is ace too, but the recorded version is a bit lame.

I love Seabear, but their cover of Teenage Kicks is dreadful. It's a bad song in the first place and impossible to inject any kind of individual character into, so no band should touch it with a bargepole!
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • I like the Baker Street cover, it's fun. Although it's been a while since I last heard it. I may change my mind if I hear it again.
    Chris Cornells 'Billie Jean' springs to mind. (shudder)
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    DeLukin wrote:
    I cannot stand the recorded PJ cover of Crazy Mary. I like it live, but the recorded version not so much.

Wow! love the recorded version. Maybe because they only started playing it live well after i'd heard the cover.

I'll say any time PJ plays "Fortunate Son"
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • OK so I don't love Foo Fighters... I like them. But their cover of 'Keep the Car Running' by Arcade Fire is unforgivable.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    OK so I don't love Foo Fighters... I like them. But their cover of 'Keep the Car Running' by Arcade Fire is unforgivable.

I rather liked that one.....
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

Not even in the same ballpark as the original.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    fowls wrote:

I love Seabear, but their cover of Teenage Kicks is dreadful. It's a bad song in the first place and impossible to inject any kind of individual character into, so no band should touch it with a bargepole!

I haven't heard of Seabear and similarly I have never heard anyone describe Teenage Kicks as a bad song, it is an anthem, it is an awesome song.

It also seems I'm the only person who likes the Foos rendition of Baker Street, prefer it to the original, which I was never that struck on.

GN'R - Knockin on Heavens Door(someone already mentioned, poo)
    Manic Street Preechers - Been a Son(horrible)
    Pearl Jam - Last Kiss(yuck)
    I also heard some bloke singing the song All That She Wants originally by Ace of Base, it was on my pubs stereo, it was bad, the song was bad in the first place and the cover didn't make it any better.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Counting Crows royally shat all over Big Yellow Taxi......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    pj / vedder gimme some truth - ear grater esp. the chorus

working class hero - blind melon
  • I'm not a fan of Limp Bizkit at all, and their cover of Behind Blue Eyes enraged me so much, my face melted off like that Nazi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think that may be the worst cover ever.
  • I'm not a fan of Limp Bizkit at all, and their cover of Behind Blue Eyes enraged me so much, my face melted off like that Nazi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think that may be the worst cover ever.

As bad as the song was, the video with Fred Durst getting on Halle Berry was soul crushing to me.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    I love The Cure but almost every cover they have chosen to do has been awful.:(
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I am going to seem grumpy with these but what the hell.

Love PJ, but I really can't stand the Last Kiss cover. (Ducking and running for cover.)

Dave Matthews-All Along the Watchtower (but then again, I don't like Dave Matthews all that much)

Sound Garden-Come Together, really hate that cover.

Limp Biskit--They were on the Summer Sanatarium tour a few years back and did a cover of Metallica's Welcome Home Sanatarium. I wanted to run up on stage and shove the microphone down Fred Durst's throat, and the guitarist they had could barely play the licks (not Wes Borland).

Just to balance things, so I don't seem all negative.

I love PJ's cover of Baba O'Riley and Neil Young tunes.

Metallica's Garage inc is great.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    I am going to seem grumpy with these but what the hell.

Love PJ, but I really can't stand the Last Kiss cover. (Ducking and running for cover.)

Dave Matthews-All Along the Watchtower (but then again, I don't like Dave Matthews all that much)

Sound Garden-Come Together, really hate that cover.

Limp Biskit--They were on the Summer Sanatarium tour a few years back and did a cover of Metallica's Welcome Home Sanatarium. I wanted to run up on stage and shove the microphone down Fred Durst's throat, and the guitarist they had could barely play the licks (not Wes Borland).

Just to balance things, so I don't seem all negative.

I love PJ's cover of Baba O'Riley and Neil Young tunes.

Metallica's Garage inc is great.

Hold up here for a second.......you actually saw Limp Bizkit live?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

muppet wrote:
    I don't enjoy that "Baker Street" cover either. Should be epic, but it isn't.

Its total crap.........the saxophone, guitar solo, and vocals from the original are just too damn good for the Foo Fighters.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• about 75% of A Perfect Circle's eMotive album.

i love the band, but it sounded like almost every song was thrown together as a last-minute thing to get out of their record deal.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627

Not by choice. They were part of the Summer Sanitarium tour, which basically was a festival type show. Started around 2 PM and went until about 1 AM. The concert was in Toronto in the baseball arena, I forgot its name. It had a policy that once you entered, you could not leave. I didn't want to miss Metallica, which is the reason I went to the show, so I sat through Limp Bizkit AND Linkin Park. It was a tough night, but Metallica more than made up for the previous bands. I will never forget the version of Seek and Destroy they did. Sixty thousand people pumping their fists in air and singing along.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    I'm sure he didn't on purpose, they just played before Metallica. Kinda like when I saw Kid Rock play before Metallica, I had no desire to see him but I didn't want to give up my good spot.

Speaking of which... *turns on the roo cast*
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Not a fan of PJs 'Forever Young'.

I do however like Vedder's 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.

Go figure.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    BinFrog wrote:

BinFrog wrote:
    Not even in the same ballpark as the original.

And the winner is....BinFrog. You hit the nail on the head with this one!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • I would have to go with the Pumpkins cover of You're All I've Got Tonight. I wouldn't say i hate it, but it's roughly a minute shorter than the original and it leaves out a killer guitar solo before the last chorus. I thought it would be great, but it was just dissappointing.