The Next Big Thing - is there an underground movement getting ready to explode?

RFUnitShifterRFUnitShifter Posts: 12
edited March 2008 in Other Music
It seems like mainstream rock is still riding the wave of the type of music that emerged at the beginning of the 90s. It appears like we're in a transitional period right now, though, and the music industry is undergoing a paradigm shift. What will emerge from it? Will there be a new sound, and will a few groups explode in popularity and become the next big thing?

It's been almost two decades since Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden came out of Seattle and helped spur the last great rock music revolution. It seems like were over due for something different.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i think record companies are pretty much intent on never letting it happen though.

They want to control who is popular and what we listen to, so we may never see a new music revolution ever again.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Well, I think record companies are on their way out.
  • the movement has happened and is continuing to happen. I waited 10 plus years for another PJ, Nirvana, Kurt, Eddie etc...

Indie rock is the new movement.

My mistake was thinking the next musical movement, would be one filled with bands singing about teen angst and rage etc...'

I think you have an excitement in the indie rock scene that is similar to what it was like to be someone coming up during the heydey of grunge. You get to see your favorite bands promoted and talked about big time in the media and via websites.

Arcade Fire are the best band in music right now. Both in terms of studio albums, and their live shows. Best band and best live band. period.

The movements here buddy! It just aint longhaired flannel wearing teenage angst singing bands anymore. Times have changed.
  • the movement has happened and is continuing to happen. I waited 10 plus years for another PJ, Nirvana, Kurt, Eddie etc...

Indie rock is the new movement.

My mistake was thinking the next musical movement, would be one filled with bands singing about teen angst and rage etc...'

I think you have an excitement in the indie rock scene that is similar to what it was like to be someone coming up during the heydey of grunge. You get to see your favorite bands promoted and talked about big time in the media and via websites.

Arcade Fire are the best band in music right now. Both in terms of studio albums, and their live shows. Best band and best live band. period.

The movements here buddy! It just aint longhaired flannel wearing teenage angst singing bands anymore. Times have changed.

I'm not sure about the movement since the whole business has changed and bands don't even reap profits by selling albums anymore. So you have much more live shows and less bands getting signed to album deals. not sure where this is going actually.

But Arcade Fire is definitely a mature band, I dont see a mainstream movement forming though.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    MGMT is the next big thing. They blow Arcade Fire and all the other Indie bands away. This will be the band that breaks through big time and I guarantee it. Their album has about 5 singles on it.

This song is starting to get pretty popular
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

This song will be a huge hit in the summer time.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQF8ep-OJLs&feature=related
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    Matty Boy wrote:
    MGMT is the next big thing. They blow Arcade Fire and all the other Indie bands away. This will be the band that breaks through big time and I guarantee it. Their album has about 5 singles on it.

Sounds like the fuckin Beegee's. This is not the revolution we need. We need some new fuckin guitar Gods!!! We need some real ROCK!!! Where's the fuckin riffs that bring chills from my ass crack to the back of my neck?!?!

How about someone with a decent and inspiring voice? I don't know maybe some of this shit's good to have on when you're starring at a fucking video game screen or scrubbing your balls in the shower but not for rockin' out to.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I'm keeping my eyes on the Post-Islamic Battle Jazz scene.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    In my opinion, the internet has destroyed any chance of a 'scene'. Scenes are when bands of a similar style stir up in the same area and then burst into the limelight. With the internet, bands are exposed a lot earlier, so now anyone can listen to a new band from any area. There isn't any mysticism about some enigmatic rock bands all coming from a city far far away anymore. I could listen to unsigned bands from all over the world right now, when 10 years ago it'd be pretty much impossible to listen to any unsigned band more than 20 miles away. Without that hype building up in the original area first a scene never really exists. Scenes don't work in the current musical environment. Instead of a build up of hype leading to a big explosion it's merely dissipating the hype steadily over time with no explosion in sight.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • "Indie" is an irrelevent term these days, it doesn't mean what it used to with the advent of mp3's, the internet and satellite radio. Pretty much any band is Indie that isn't signed to one of the conglomerates. "Indie" is not a movement, it's a label now that's every bit as offensive as "Grunge, EMO, Hardcore"...etc. Why does everything have to be fucking labeled, music is music and the good stuff will always be found by somebody.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    "Indie" is an irrelevent term these days, it doesn't mean what it used to with the advent of mp3's, the internet and satellite radio. Pretty much any band is Indie that isn't signed to one of the conglomerates. "Indie" is not a movement, it's a label now that's every bit as offensive as "Grunge, EMO, Hardcore"...etc. Why does everything have to be fucking labeled, music is music and the good stuff will always be found by somebody.
    Indeed. The difference between Sebadoh's "Gimme Indie Rock" and The Killer's "Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll" pretty much explains the difference between what indie used to mean and what it means now.
    Paul
  • magikev wrote:
    Well, I think record companies are on their way out.

No they aren't, they are just ditching bands that demand to have creative control over their art in favor of pop sensations they can sell off by the hit.

Rap and Pop music are going to be the future of the mainstream for a long time to come.

and major labels are going to continue to be behind it. They are selling product. and people are still buying product.

When people want art, that is when things will change. But the way society is now, i really don't expect any musical revolutions coming anytime soon.
    "Indie" is an irrelevent term these days, it doesn't mean what it used to with the advent of mp3's, the internet and satellite radio. Pretty much any band is Indie that isn't signed to one of the conglomerates. "Indie" is not a movement, it's a label now that's every bit as offensive as "Grunge, EMO, Hardcore"...etc. Why does everything have to be fucking labeled, music is music and the good stuff will always be found by somebody.
    Indie was always an irrelevant term and it was never a movement. If you can find me a link between a band like Big Black who have been labelled indie and a band like Slowdive who have also been labelled indie that can show ANY sort of evidence of there being a larger movement known as "indie" then I would be very surprised. Indie refers to an artist on an independant label. It has nothing to do with genres or movements.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Things aren't going badly for the major labels. They still control the market and in the end any shortcomings in finances is going to be ditched onto the bands they sign anyway (the change in contracts means that any new band signing up hardly gets any money from even merch and touring). Indie labels are going to be the ones to really suffer in this musical climate. They have much less control on the market and will find it hard to deal with any financial burdens. So really, if the record labels die out the indie labels will die a lot faster than the majors... which is good news for no one.
    Paul
  • Matty Boy wrote:

I actually liked those videos. They seem like they are tripping balls on Acid. However I disagree that they blow Arcade Fire out of the water. MGMT is practically emotionless compared to Arcade Fire.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Indie was always an irrelevant term and it was never a movement. If you can find me a link between a band like Big Black who have been labelled indie and a band like Slowdive who have also been labelled indie that can show ANY sort of evidence of there being a larger movement known as "indie" then I would be very surprised. Indie refers to an artist on an independant label. It has nothing to do with genres or movements.

In the early to mid 1980's Indie was a movement. It was the Do It Yourself mentality because these bands thought they had no hope or desire of signing a record deal so they made their own record companies and they cross promoted with fellow "Indie" labels. Then the majors started buying up the Indies in a feeding frenzy and pretty much killed any semblance of a movement.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
    In the early to mid 1980's Indie was a movement. It was the Do It Yourself mentality because these bands thought they had no hope or desire of signing a record deal so they made their own record companies and they cross promoted with fellow "Indie" labels. Then the majors started buying up the Indies in a feeding frenzy and pretty much killed any semblance of a movement.
    That's like saying that every band that allows their music to be priced by the consumer is also part of a movement. Bands do things off their own bat as well you know. Indie was never a specific thing. I'm pretty sure that most of the 80s 'indie' bands just considered themselves bands doing their own thing and couldn't give a shit about what they were labelled.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    God I hope the future isn't Arcade Fire cause they stink.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Danimal wrote:
    God I hope the future isn't Arcade Fire cause they stink.
    GO listen to Godsmack then!

haha jk bro, what do you listen too?
  • Matty Boy wrote:

I agree actually.. I'm just glad I was there to see their start

• Indie rock is the new movement.

Welcome to 1987.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910

Your Arcade Fire comment is strictly an opinion and I highly disagree with it. What grounds do you base that on?

Second...How old were you during the grunge movement? It may be due to the advent of the internet but as far as a buzz and general excitement focused on one sound/region, the "indie" scene you speak of, is not even close. Also, as others have said, the term "indie" really means nothing and is far too broad of a term to localize to a specific sound/scene.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Your Arcade Fire comment is strictly an opinion and I highly disagree with it.

Ditto.

i don't think the Arcade Fire is any good at all. Kind of mediocre really.
  • Ditto.

i don't think the Arcade Fire is any good at all. Kind of mediocre really.

Fair enough but I really dig the the energy and emotion that they give at every show. Plus they right really great songs like Wake Up, Rebellion (Lies), Keep The Car Running, Intervention, and many others.

If David Bowie, U2, Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards are fans of yours when your a brand new band then I think you must be doing something right,
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I can't relate to this need many people have for some huge "movement" in music. As long as I continue to find a least a few great new bands every year or so I'll be happy.
  • Fair enough but I really dig the the energy and emotion that they give at every show. Plus they right really great songs like Wake Up, Rebellion (Lies), Keep The Car Running, Intervention, and many others.

If David Bowie, U2, Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards are fans of yours when your a brand new band then I think you must be doing something right,

i am sure those guys are fans of alot of bands.

it doesn't make everyone fucking special.
  • i am sure those guys are fans of alot of bands.

it doesn't make everyone fucking special.

You may not like them but there is no question that they are going to be huge in the US.

They drew a massive crowd at Coachella last year. They are already playing venues like the Hollywood Bowl and Shoreline Amphitheater in Ca. Both of those concerts drew 20,000. They are drawing a huge following without MTV or any real corporate help. Hell I heard about them word of mouth and then turned my girlfriend and her friends on to them.

Add on they have serious music community support and there is no reason they won't be one of the biggest bands on the planet. Even if you don't think they are special.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Matty Boy wrote:

LOL! This is actually the problem...because of the internet people can just post stuff like this and suggest it is the next big thing..and that suggestion spreads like wildfire...even though what they post could be terribly mediocre. Too many geek indie bands get pumped up these days to be some type of genius band, but most of them actually suck. The Arcade Fire are a good band...not the best band in the world though. Modest Mouse are not legends. They are a decent band, but nowhere near the level of a band like Radiohead is. But somehow this bullshit "indie" culture has spread and become mainstream. Therefore any guy with tight pants, a mop haircut, glasses and a guitar is now labelled a genius. This whole Indie scene is detrimental to music.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Igottago wrote:
    LOL! This is actually the problem...because of the internet people can just post stuff like this and suggest it is the next big thing..and that suggestion spreads like wildfire...even though what they post could be terribly mediocre. Too many geek indie bands get pumped up these days to be some type of genius band, but most of them actually suck. The Arcade Fire are a good band...not the best band in the world though. Modest Mouse are not legends. They are a decent band, but nowhere near the level of a band like Radiohead is. But somehow this bullshit "indie" culture has spread and become mainstream. Therefore any guy with tight pants, a mop haircut, glasses and a guitar is now labelled a genius. This whole Indie scene is detrimental to music.
    I don't like Arcade Fire and I don't give a flying fuck about the Indie scene either. MGMT is the real deal and you should really check them out before you run your mouth. Download MGMT's album which is called "Oracular Spectacular" and listen to it. I'm right when I say these guys are the next big thing.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    soclose wrote:
    I can't relate to this need many people have for some huge "movement" in music. As long as I continue to find a least a few great new bands every year or so I'll be happy.

I agree with you here. However.....I do hold out hope that something really amazing will take us all by storm. Just tough to imagine it.

Also, I don't deny that the Arcade Fire is a great band to many. And I think they already are pretty big in the US. The mystery is just missing with bands these days (once again..the internet and the "I want it now so I'm going to get it now" mentality has really put a damper on the possibilities of this happening. Good and bad I suppose.

Bottom line is there is more music available to us than ever before and it's our job to choose what does it for us.

edit: I've listened to MGMT and I don't really like it
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I don't like Arcade Fire and I don't give a flying fuck about the Indie scene either. MGMT is the real deal and you should really check them out before you run your mouth. Download MGMT's album which is called "Oracular Spectacular" and listen to it. I'm right when I say these guys are the next big thing.

I've listened to MGMT before, and I've checked out the links you provided. I've heard what they have to offer. I'm not even saying its horrible or bad. Musically its ok. A little too synthy for my tastes. The videos are retarded art/indie rock bullshit. But the idea that these guys are the next great band is ridiculous. If they really are the next big thing, we are even more doomed than we appear to be now.