Lou f**cking Reed!!!

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Just saw Lou mentioned in the "most depressing song" thread :p and I got to thinking...... "wow! Lou Reed."

"Rock and Roll Animal" was an all-time classic in 1974 (Heroin, White Light/White Heat, etc) and then, 15 years later, another classic in "New York." Still standing the test of time!
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    always thought John Cale was by a distance the most talented from Velvet Underground, at least from they're solo albums.
  • By several million miles, Cale. Reed was just a junkie hipster Dylan wannabe with a bit of ECT up his well trawled arse.
  • Lou reed was good.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    saw lou reed the other week in philly guy still rocks. lou's 70's stuff is all great, well not the feedback album but the other stuff.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    elmer wrote:
    always thought John Cale was by a distance the most talented from Velvet Underground, at least from they're solo albums.

yep yep i too stand in the cale camp. way more to him than the casual observor realises. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    got Street Hassle on vinyl
  • lisamlisam Posts: 75
    I much prefer Lou solo compared to the Velvets. And Transformer will always be in my 10 ten of must have albums. Still 36 years later it is pure genius
    Shot me with your funk gun
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    By several million miles, Cale. Reed was just a junkie hipster Dylan wannabe with a bit of ECT up his well trawled arse.
    Agreed, though to quote Renton in Trainspotting, "Lou Reed? summae his solo stuff's no bad" :D

Transformer is overrated though. Has 4 or 5 great songs and the rest are just ok. Berlin is better and even that is preposterously overblown and pretentious. I like Lou but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks.

Cale went to my uni which is pretty cool. Certainly cooler than other alumni like Malcolm McLaren and Damon Albarn.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like this thread :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Agreed, though to quote Renton in Trainspotting, "Lou Reed? summae his solo stuff's no bad" :D

Transformer is overrated though. Has 4 or 5 great songs and the rest are just ok. Berlin is better and even that is preposterously overblown and pretentious. I like Lou but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks.

Cale went to my uni which is pretty cool. Certainly cooler than other alumni like Malcolm McLaren and Damon Albarn.

berlin is one of the greatest albums ever. nothing can change my mind on that. lou might have an ego but he really is that good. i remember reading something about the warhol days where andy was like you were supposed to right 3 songs today and lou responded with i wrote one really good song. i think his giant ego is the one of the reasons he's able to write songs like pale blue eyes and caroline says. if i was so sure of myself i could probably say alot more of what i felt easier.
    berlin is one of the greatest albums ever. nothing can change my mind on that. lou might have an ego but he really is that good. i remember reading something about the warhol days where andy was like you were supposed to right 3 songs today and lou responded with i wrote one really good song. i think his giant ego is the one of the reasons he's able to write songs like pale blue eyes and caroline says. if i was so sure of myself i could probably say alot more of what i felt easier.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Berlin is brilliant but it's still ridiculous :D I'm no Lou-hater. I even think Metal Machine Music is quite good. It's not great, there are much better noise albums but it's fairly influential in that genre and nowhere near as bad as people make out.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Transformer overrated? Holy shit.. It is the epitome of the perfect album. from the low, sombre tones of perfect day to the upbeat Hangin round. it embraces all that is/was controversial in a package that is perfectly put together to be socially acceptable whilst being risky at the same time. it covers topics that even by todays standards would be hard to get past the record companies but does it in such a way that is tactful and elegant.

Granted i dont know if it would of been the same album without Bowie's help but by jesus fuck it turned out as brilliant as can be
    lisam wrote:
    Transformer overrated? Holy shit.. It is the epitome of the perfect album. from the low, sombre tones of perfect day to the upbeat Hangin round. it embraces all that is/was controversial in a package that is perfectly put together to be socially acceptable whilst being risky at the same time. it covers topics that even by todays standards would be hard to get past the record companies but does it in such a way that is tactful and elegant.

Granted i dont know if it would of been the same album without Bowie's help but by jesus fuck it turned out as brilliant as can be
    Most of the upbeat songs I can do without to be honest. Andy's Chest and Vicious are alright but they just seem like VU songs without the charm of Mo Tucker's drumming. I love Perfect Day, Walk on the Wildside and Satellite of Love however.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Most of the upbeat songs I can do without to be honest. Andy's Chest and Vicious are alright but they just seem like VU songs without the charm of Mo Tucker's drumming. I love Perfect Day, Walk on the Wildside and Satellite of Love however.

Thats where we differ. Unlike most i prefer Lou solo. He seems over powered in the velvet, not so by talent but by ideas maybe, by John Cales influence maybe, or maybe it was Lou himself who wanted to go in a different, more experiment direction then he did with his solo stuff. And whilst it may have been more experimental and ground breaking for me it lacks the mellow, emotional feeling that Loou has on his own
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    By several million miles, Cale. Reed was just a junkie hipster Dylan wannabe with a bit of ECT up his well trawled arse.
    That's harsh. Reed had good lyrics, Cale mostly brought in great music, but the velvet's greatness was due to the mix of both.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    kdpjam wrote:
    i like this thread :)

Why, thank you! God knows I've started my share of dismal ones :p!
    lisam wrote:
    it embraces all that is/was controversial in a package that is perfectly put together to be socially acceptable whilst being risky at the same time. it covers topics that even by todays standards would be hard to get past the record companies but does it in such a way that is tactful and elegant.

I feel the same way about "New York."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Excellent thread. Was just watching an Exploding Plastic Inevitable/ Velvet Underground/ Songs for Drella dvd this morning. My preference is for The Velvets and Nico , with the great mix of John Cale's viola and Lou Reed's guitar, but I do like Transformer and Berlin alot. Saw Lou Reed in Philly also and enjoyed everything but the crowd around me; which jumped around ,to run to the beer lines ,and chattered like organ grinder's monkeys. No wonder Lou got pissed off during several slow numbers where Laurie Anderson accompanied him and his band.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    imalive wrote:
    Just saw Lou mentioned in the "most depressing song" thread :p and I got to thinking...... "wow! Lou Reed."

"Rock and Roll Animal" was an all-time classic in 1974 (Heroin, White Light/White Heat, etc) and then, 15 years later, another classic in "New York." Still standing the test of time!
    'Rock N' Roll Animal' is one of the greatest guitar rock albums of all time. The dual leads of Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner, especially in 'Intro/Sweet Jane' are classic.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Blind3 wrote:
    Excellent thread. Was just watching an Exploding Plastic Inevitable/ Velvet Underground/ Songs for Drella dvd this morning. My preference is for The Velvets and Nico , with the great mix of John Cale's viola and Lou Reed's guitar, but I do like Transformer and Berlin alot. Saw Lou Reed in Philly also and enjoyed everything but the crowd around me; which jumped around ,to run to the beer lines ,and chattered like organ grinder's monkeys. No wonder Lou got pissed off during several slow numbers where Laurie Anderson accompanied him and his band.

i was at that philly show too. how cool was ecstacy??? i was front row and i remember during talking book lou stopped and was like you want me to sing or would you rather talk. and he closed the set with magic and loss, wow!
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I got there late. Not too late that I missed the start of the show. Just too late to be down front on the floor. Stupid me, I made the mistake of going to the balcony. Never again. At least never at a Lou Reed show. Talking Book and Ecstasy , and of course a jammin' version of Sweet Jane, were among many highlights for me.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • I prefer VU to Lou Reed (tho' I still love the man and his music...He's one of my fave artists) but I want to listen to Cale, where should I start from?
    Is it him singing with Lou in "the mystery murder" or "the murder mystery" (whatever the name of the song is?)?
    Nico solo stuff was depressing...
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
    Tiziana wrote:
    I prefer VU to Lou Reed (tho' I still love the man and his music...He's one of my fave artists) but I want to listen to Cale, where should I start from?
    Is it him singing with Lou in "the mystery murder" or "the murder mystery" (whatever the name of the song is?)?
    Nico solo stuff was depressing...
    Check out Paris 1919 by Cale. Brilliant sort of avant-pop album. And yes it was him singing on The Murder Mystery.

Also, Nico's solo stuff is amazing. It's not all depressing either, some is more scary.
  • Cheers Jeremy, I'll check it out! I like his voice...
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I think the debate between Cale and Reed is more interesting debate than Lennon/McCartney!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Check out Paris 1919 by Cale. Brilliant sort of avant-pop album. And yes it was him singing on The Murder Mystery.

Also, Nico's solo stuff is amazing. It's not all depressing either, some is more scary.
    yeah thas a classic. Hobosapiens is also right up there for me, makes an interesting contrast to Paris.
    Nico did a haunting cover of The End that I heard on some live album.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    lisam wrote:
    And Transformer will always be in my 10 ten of must have albums. Still 36 years later it is pure genius

I have this on vinyl and enjoy it occasionally.

Good record, to say the least.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • BRILLIANCE.

I'm on a huge Lou Reed / VU kick right now.. It's a tragedy that the indie kids who subscribe so blindly to "The VU and Nico" aren't even aware that the Velvet Underground made more than one album. They don't know that the man behind the music is Lou Reed (or who he is for that matter). Bah!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • By several million miles, Cale. Reed was just a junkie hipster Dylan wannabe with a bit of ECT up his well trawled arse.
    :confused:

Reed was pretty much the only songwriter... His writing and his voice made the VU. Not to put down Cale in any way..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    BRILLIANCE.

I'm on a huge Lou Reed / VU kick right now.. It's a tragedy that the indie kids who subscribe so blindly to "The VU and Nico" aren't even aware that the Velvet Underground made more than one album. They don't know that the man behind the music is Lou Reed (or who he is for that matter). Bah!

its better to just ignore these people, same thing with the misfits. if they sell it at hot topic its cool. the andy warhol thing makes things worse since the scensters are all into that pop art garbage. yes i called warhol garbage, ha!

and for that matter lou has said from as early as any interview i can remember reading, that he makes records for adults, so i dont think these kids really are getting... its not a scene thing or a trend thing. youre supposed to just listen to record.
  • Purple PuppyPurple Puppy Posts: 149
    I almost met him. He was on the phone and wouldn't sign my Hudson River Wind Meditations. Same with Eddie. I almost met Eddie
    Signed it, grind it.
    Corroding and foreboding.