Most UNDER-appreciated bands of all time...

vedderoffdeadvedderoffdead Posts: 684
edited July 2008 in Other Music
late 60's/early 70's:

Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Kinks

PUNK:

The Clash
The Damned

Late 70's/Early 80's:

The Cure
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Joy Division
Elvis Costello

80's:

Duran Duran
Depeche Mode
New Order
Social Distortion
The Smiths
The Pixies
The Pogues
The Replacements

Hardcore:

Minor Threat
Youth of Today
Gorilla Biscuits

late 80's/early 90's:

Mother Love Bone
Toad the wet sprocket
Jane's Addiction
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mother Love Bone and Acid Bath.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The Clash, The Smiths, The Cure and Jane's Addiction are massively appreciated. Not sure I get this. Duran Duran are far more appreciated than they should be.

As for hardcore, in their own sphere of influence, Minor Threat are treated as gods and are as well known and appreciated as a band of their kind ever could be, and rightfully so. Incredible band with no real commercial viability but as well known as an 80s hardcore band could be. Hell, Nike even ripped off the shot of Alec MacKaye from the first EP/Complete Discography for an advertising campaign. I'd point the finger at bands like Void, Reagan Youth, Government Issue etc for bands who deserved more recognition than they ever got.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The Clash, The Smiths, The Cure and Jane's Addiction are massively appreciated. Not sure I get this. Duran Duran are far more appreciated than they should be.

As for hardcore, in their own sphere of influence, Minor Threat are treated as gods and are as well known and appreciated as a band of their kind ever could be, and rightfully so. Incredible band with no real commercial viability but as well known as an 80s hardcore band could be. Hell, Nike even ripped off the shot of Alec MacKaye from the first EP/Complete Discography for an advertising campaign. I'd point the finger at bands like Void, Reagan Youth, Government Issue etc for bands who deserved more recognition than they ever got.
    See, I disagree. I'd put most of the bands I named in the same category as Pearl Jam wheras they are instantly recognizable but most people have no idea when the last time they released an album was, or if they're still even together...and most people can only name the songs that were on the radio. That to me is under-appreciated.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Pixies
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Pixies
    Yeah, definitely...I'm going to edit my post now
    See, I disagree. I'd put most of the bands I named in the same category as Pearl Jam wheras they are instantly recognizable but most people have no idea when the last time they released an album was, or if they're still even together...and most people can only name the songs that were on the radio. That to me is under-appreciated.
    They all have massive critical success though and, to an extent, commercial too. London Calling has to be one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time and it certainly sold a fair few. Can't speak for the US but in the UK, The Smiths were huge and treated like the saviours of british music in the 80s, as were The Cure to a lesser extent and for a slightly more niche market.

I was under the impression that Jane's were massive in America?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    They all have massive critical success though and, to an extent, commercial too. London Calling has to be one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time and it certainly sold a fair few. Can't speak for the US but in the UK, The Smiths were huge and treated like the saviours of british music in the 80s, as were The Cure to a lesser extent and for a slightly more niche market.

I was under the impression that Jane's were massive in America?

But every single one of those bands had to live in the shadow of a bigger band. The Clash had the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Jane's Addiction had the RHCP, The Smiths had U2 to an extent...
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    the replacements.
    pixies might get the credit for inspiring nirvana or the grunge scene, but no band was as copied in their sound like the repacements. to this day im still surprised nirvana never covered a replacements song, or pj for that matter.
  • the replacements.
    pixies might get the credit for inspiring nirvana or the grunge scene, but no band was as copied in their sound like the repacements. to this day im still surprised nirvana never covered a replacements song, or pj for that matter.
    God, I fucking LOVE THe Repalcements. Back to edit...
    But every single one of those bands had to live in the shadow of a bigger band. The Clash had the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Jane's Addiction had the RHCP, The Smiths had U2 to an extent...
    Not the way I've seen it. Perhaps it's different in the UK. The Clash are generally taken much more seriously than the Sex Pistols in terms of critical opinion and have massive recognition, as well as commercial success. Barely a week goes by without at least one music publication giving their cover shot to Joe Strummer. Likewise with The Smiths, who really don't share the same fanbase or niche in their musical target audience as U2 anyway.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Not the way I've seen it. Perhaps it's different in the UK. The Clash are generally taken much more seriously than the Sex Pistols in terms of critical opinion and have massive recognition, as well as commercial success. Barely a week goes by without at least one music publication giving their cover shot to Joe Strummer. Likewise with The Smiths, who really don't share the same fanbase or niche in their musical target audience as U2 anyway.
    It's a different world across the pond
    God, I fucking LOVE THe Repalcements. Back to edit...
    Now I agree with THAT :D

That band should've had all the recognition in the world. Rock the way it was meant to be rolled.
  • EPhi1430EPhi1430 Posts: 33
    This is an easy one.....Rush is the most underappreciated bands. I mean something like 25 gold album which is the most ever plus they are not even in the rock n roll hall of fame. Not saying that makes or breaks you but come on, Geddy, Alex and Neil never get their props
    Thats okay man, cause I love Frogs

Shows:
    7/2/98 8/18/00 8/20/00 8/21/00 4/21/03(Home town) 4/25/00 - cancelled:( 6/19/03 6/22/03 10/2/04 10/6/04
  • I'm gonna sit this one out...anyone else want to explain this one^
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    King Prawn, check em out sometime.
    Babar Luck, bass player from the aforementioned KP and now awesome solo artist.
    Husker Du.
    The Sneaker Pimps were effortlessly mixing rock and electronica in beautiful ways before Radiohead had even released OK Computer, let alone Kid A etc etc.
    Jerry Cantrells solo work has pretty much went undiscovered by most, yet is every bit as good as a lot of AiC music.
    And since 5 is a nice number I'm gonna say Local H, nowhere near as big as they should be as two piece bands go I'd take these guys over The White Stripes anyday.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    oh i have another i think ani difranco.
    she's kinda everything a female artist should be. she's built her base off her songs and shows, and not how pretty she looks in magazines or whether guys drool over her. she's a bit annoying in interviews, but its the music that counts anyways. with the whole 90's pro-choice anti-mainstream thing that happened im surprised she didnt get picked up in that current. maybe she avoided it. like when everyone was doing the vote for change tours, she had her own thing. vote dammit. same idea get people at concerts to register to vote. maybe she didnt want to be linked with bruce springsteen and mtv or major labels, i dont know.
  • King Prawn, check em out sometime.
    Babar Luck, bass player from the aforementioned KP and now awesome solo artist.
    Husker Du.
    The Sneaker Pimps were effortlessly mixing rock and electronica in beautiful ways before Radiohead had even released OK Computer, let alone Kid A etc etc.
    Jerry Cantrells solo work has pretty much went undiscovered by most, yet is every bit as good as a lot of AiC music.
    And since 5 is a nice number I'm gonna say Local H, nowhere near as big as they should be as two piece bands go I'd take these guys over The White Stripes anyday.
    Sneaker Pimps were great. Hands down the best music to have kinky sex to, followed closely by Thrill Kill Kult...
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Wilco...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • release30 wrote:
    Wilco...
    Fuck yeah. Wilco kick ass
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Tom Waits for sure...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • oh i have another i think ani difranco.
    she's kinda everything a female artist should be. she's built her base off her songs and shows, and not how pretty she looks in magazines or whether guys drool over her. she's a bit annoying in interviews, but its the music that counts anyways. with the whole 90's pro-choice anti-mainstream thing that happened im surprised she didnt get picked up in that current. maybe she avoided it. like when everyone was doing the vote for change tours, she had her own thing. vote dammit. same idea get people at concerts to register to vote. maybe she didnt want to be linked with bruce springsteen and mtv or major labels, i dont know.
    Absolutely. Ani Difranco deserves all the accolades in the world. I saw her live a bunch of years ago. An absolute religious experience.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    release30 wrote:
    Tom Waits for sure...

See, I think he gets plenty of appreciation. In the same ballpark musically, I'd go with Mark Lanegan. A lot of rock fans don't even know who he is, and he has one of the great voices in rock music.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    EPhi1430 wrote:
    This is an easy one.....Rush is the most underappreciated bands. I mean something like 25 gold album which is the most ever plus they are not even in the rock n roll hall of fame. Not saying that makes or breaks you but come on, Geddy, Alex and Neil never get their props
    They have the most gold discs ever but are underappreciated?

Hall of Fame means fuck all.
    Masters of Reality
    Hermano
    The Galactic Cowboys
    Nebula

And many other stoner/desert rock bands, some of the bands mentioned here are making me laugh Rush haha, yeah right shit me a brick, lets list Jimi Hendrix while were at it.:D
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Once they kicked out the girl who sung on Becoming X they were asking for trouble. Not heard any of their stuff since then though.

The Gun Club's Lucky Jim and Pastoral Hide and Seek from the 90's were harshly overlooked, easy to figure.
  • Pearl Jam
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Modest Mouse.. sure, they have hits... but more people should be willing to put their life on the line for Isaac Brock.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Pearl Jam

There are a lot of people in this world who have never even heard of Pearl Jam. There are also a lot of people who have heard of them and decided that everything after Vs. was not good enough to continue being a fan. We all hold Pearl Jam in the highest regard and we sometimes forget how truly small the Pearl Jam fan club is in the grand scheme of things. People have been counting them out since Vitalogy...and they keep coming back stronger and stronger. PJ gets my vote for most Under-appreciated band ever.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • canadajammercanadajammer Posts: 263
    I know they are a far cry from Pearl Jam, but,

SUPERTRAMP is the most under appreciated band ever.

They are incredible

Listen to 'Crime of the Century' start to finish, and I'm positive you will all understand where I'm coming from.
    elmer wrote:
    Once they kicked out the girl who sung on Becoming X they were asking for trouble. Not heard any of their stuff since then though.

The Gun Club's Lucky Jim and Pastoral Hide and Seek from the 90's were harshly overlooked, easy to figure.

Kelie Dayton I think she were called, they are well worth checking out after shed gone as well, not sure if she was kicked out or if she left tbh.