so who is THE BEST live band to see?

Comments

• ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    RATM, Drive-By Truckers, and QOTSA have all kicked my ass this past year. Sadly I really have been unable to see PJ yet, but I have a feeling that will change in the next 3-4 months, and there is no doubt in my mind that they will kick into that top spot. Also, Ben Harper put on one of the best shows I've ever seen back in '03, not sure how he still is though...
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I saw Kings of Leon at the Cat's Cradle two years ago; just a ridiculous amount of energy. We should all be superpumped they are opening for PJ on the next tour. If there was any justice in the music industry, these guys would be selling out arenas.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    whulmef wrote:
    I saw Kings of Leon at the Cat's Cradle two years ago; just a ridiculous amount of energy. We should all be superpumped they are opening for PJ on the next tour. If there was any justice in the music industry, these guys would be selling out arenas.

See it's funny, cause over here in the UK they are selling out arenas. I have no idea why America hasn't embraced them as much, they really are one of the best bands to come out in ages. The crowd they pulled in at Reading festival last year was huge - bigger than the headlining band Razorlight who played after them.
  • On a good day, John Martyn and his band knock everybody out of the water.
  • kent_fkent_f Posts: 28
    The best live acts I've seen:

Pearl Jam
    Andrew W.K.
    Arcade Fire
    Matthew Good Band
    NIN
    Ben Harper
    AFI (prior to the Sing the Sorrow tour, now they're one of the worst live acts)
    Sick of it All
    Eric Clapton
    Dave Matthews Band

I would kill to see Muse, Oasis and I'm going to see Iron Maiden in June.
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    For those who have not seen the Stones live, I'd encourage you to see them if they come around one more time. I've seen over 50 of their shows and while Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood have slowed down a bit......Mick Jagger (and Charlie Watts) are at the top of their game......not sure....check out Shine a Light in the theaters starting on April 4
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • kent_fkent_f Posts: 28
    Yeah, the Stones are a pretty badass live band. I've seen them twice.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    im surprised no one has said DMB, i never saw them but i heard theyre pretty amazing.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    For sure it's PEARL JAM!
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Like I said in the last post the best live band in my opinion is Pearl Jam, some other excellent live bands are:
    The Foo Fighters
    Rush
    Kings of Leon
  • Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    U2
    Arcade Fire
    Radiohead
    The Flaming Lips
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    im surprised no one has said DMB, i never saw them but i heard theyre pretty amazing.

DMB live makes me want to puncture my ear drums.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • right now, for me: PJ, NIN, The Frames. not necessarily in that order :o couldn't for the hell of it decide which band I was going to see if they all played the same evening.
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • nine inch nails were probably the coolest show ive ever been too. it was nuts.
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    1. Clutch
    2. Sevendust
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Foo Fighters
    5. Sloan
    6. Black Label Society
    7. Mushroomhead
    8. Neurosis
    9. Porcupine Tree
    10. Robin Trower
  • moe.
  • pearl jam
    foo fighters
    cranberries
    queens of the stone age
    moe.

Yeah, moe is pretty good, as is Gov't Mule.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Odin wrote:
    5. Sloan

WOW - all this agreeing is starting to get a little scary. Guess you're not quite as crazy as I originally thought ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • pearl jam
    sebastian bach
    iron maiden
    judas priest
    ozzy osbourne
    green day
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
    Todd76 wrote:
    WOW - all this agreeing is starting to get a little scary. Guess you're not quite as crazy as I originally thought ;)

Sloan was amazing in concert! The first time I saw them, I wasn't expecting much, but it was free, so I went. They blew me away... their stage presence matched just about anyone's, and a few of the band members even switched positions halfway during their set (Chris Murphy, the lead singer, played drums for a few songs, which I thought was cool). I saw them at a small venue the following year and was equally impressed.
  • The Roots
    NERDS!
    The Roots

They would be better if they performed more of their earlier shit (ANYTHING from Illadelphalflife would be nice) rather than playing lame funk covers for a good part of their set. I will never pay to see them again.
  • Odin wrote:
    They would be better if they performed more of their earlier shit (ANYTHING from Illadelphalflife would be nice) rather than playing lame funk covers for a good part of their set. I will never pay to see them again.

I kinda agree with you there. Mos Definitely better at a club show or a town they really enjoy.
    NERDS!
    I kinda agree with you there. Mos Definitely better at a club show or a town they really enjoy.

I saw them twice, the first time at a club (Rams Head Live) in a town they really enjoy (Baltimore... and I'm sure some people came down from their hometown of Philly for that show.) While the atmosphere was live as hell, I wasn't sold on the performance and setlist. In fact, I personally preferred Talib Kweli's brief performance. To each his own I guess. I can see why many like The Roots in concert; I just wish they would perform a lot of their earlier stuff.

Now if you want to see a great rap performance that incorporates live instruments, I suggest Pharoahe Monch. He absolutely rocked the Highline Ballroom last year! He and Nas are probably the only rappers I'd want to see in concert again.
  • Odin wrote:
    I saw them twice, the first time at a club (Rams Head Live) in a town they really enjoy (Baltimore... and I'm sure some people came down from their hometown of Philly for that show.) While the atmosphere was live as hell, I wasn't sold on the performance and setlist. In fact, I personally preferred Talib Kweli's brief performance. To each his own I guess. I can see why many like The Roots in concert; I just wish they would perform a lot of their earlier stuff.

Now if you want to see a great rap performance that incorporates live instruments, I suggest Pharoahe Monch. He absolutely rocked the Highline Ballroom last year! He and Nas are probably the only rappers I'd want to see in concert again.

I've been lucky to see some good Roots shows. One time the cancelled to back Eminem in the Grammy's and rescheduled. The opened up with In Da Club and Lose Yourself that night. Then Captain Kirk tore up smells like teen spirit.

I saw em' w/ Rahzel, Jeru, and DJ shadow in 96 I think? Ill as hell. Played til almost 3 am.

I like their new stuff, they just don't play the new stuff I like :)

They definitely need Scratch/Rahzel or someone of that ilk on stage. Plus I'm interested in seeing their new white-boy bassist.
    NERDS!
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    1. Pearl Jam
    2. GWAR

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• RainemanRaineman Posts: 29
    1.Pearl Jam
    2.Our Lady Peace
    3.Live

/Closethread
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The White Stripes
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    U2
    Raconteurs
    Beck