so who is THE BEST live band to see?

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I've heard it all from this board, people i know and websites stating so many different bands are the best live. Frankly its pretty annoying and confusing to me. Everyone here, and plenty of mags state PJ is one of the best, or the best....but then i also hear other new bands being better than PJ. Basically, if you had to pick one band to see live what band would it be?

For me, no brainer, Pearl Jam.
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    PJ
    NIN a close second!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    RUSH

.....seeing them in South FL in April, for the 3rd time on their Snakes & Arrows World Tour and around the 30+ time live.

They ALWAYS put on a great show, always.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Arcade Fire.....no contest

They aren't my favorite band - but out of the hundreds of bands I have seen live, they are in a completely different league.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Wilco
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wilco
    Mars Volta
    Radiohead
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    Rage Against The Machine
    The Flaming Lips
    The Roots

are IMO, the top live acts out right nows.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Drive-by Truckers
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • easy answer that one PEARL JAM easily,daft question really it aint an opinion its a fact!! :)
  • Pearl Jam circa 98, after that My Morning Jacket
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    CLUTCH

c'mon people, get with the program!
  • after last night I'll have to say Blind Melon is a close second after PJ, but I havent seen the likes of Springsteen or Clutch... they might be able to change my mind.
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Todd76 wrote:
    Arcade Fire.....no contest

They aren't my favorite band - but out of the hundreds of bands I have seen live, they are in a completely different league.
    I would have to agree here, I've seen quite a few bands I would place before them in my list of favorite studio bands, but their live act has been second to none from what I've seen.

I'm expecting big things from Radiohead in a couple of months, but Arcade Fire has put on the best show I've ever seen up to now.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    My top would be:
    PJ - For changing the set so much but still have a consistantly good show
    Radiohead - For playing such a varied array of music but still make it work as a whole
    Dave Pajo - One of the most mesmerising shows I've ever seen, was right up there with the best in folk.
    Neil Young (Acoustic) - Just magic.
    NIN - They know how to get a crowd going.

Of the new bands, I'd recommend:
    Cage the Elephant - Brings together the best in 60s and 90s rock. Remember me a touch of a young PJ mixed with a young Rolling Stones. First band I've seen in quite a while who I think might be destined for big things.
    Los Campesinos! - Self-proclaimed "Shambolic twee-core fun". Like Arcade Fire playing at a kid's party. They're getting bigger and bigger by the year.
    Blood Red Shoes - I usually don't like 2 pieces, but this one works. Good old fashioned Rock.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • U2...best live band.
  • sigur ros
    the Minions
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    g under p wrote:
    RUSH

.....seeing them in South FL in April, for the 3rd time on their Snakes & Arrows World Tour and around the 30+ time live.

They ALWAYS put on a great show, always.

Peace

It's true! but no better than PJ, Bruce, Crazy Horse, Warren Zevon or Counting Crows (on a good night).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    i've seen quite a few. but i will save space by stating that Pearl Jam is most certainly the very best live rock n roll show that i have ever seen. zip it.

:p
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Drive-by Truckers

PJ on top by a slim margin, then the DBT.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Hands down, it goes to The Tragically Hip...and I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian...they put on an amazing live show.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    For most of my music appreciating life, the answer was Pearl Jam without a close second. But now, it is Arcade Fire. There is nothing else like them out there. Their shows are the most beautiful and inspiring things I have ever experienced.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    Hands down ... Ben Harper

It truly doesn't get any better than that!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    goldenegg wrote:
    Hands down ... Ben Harper

It truly doesn't get any better than that!

Ben Harper is very good both acoustically and hard rocking. *Burn One Down*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Radiohead
    Tool (if you only go to one show.....they are setlist nazis)
    NIN
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Hands down, it goes to The Tragically Hip...and I'm not just saying that because I'm Canadian...they put on an amazing live show.

Yup. I've seen them live many times over the years and they never fail to kick my ass. 22 years into their career and they still rock harder than most bands half their age. Gord Downie is arguably the greatest frontman in rock.

Others that come to mind:

Pearl Jam
    Drive-By Truckers
    Arcade Fire
    U2 (hate 'em all you want, but their live show is fucking mind-blowing)
    Springsteen & the E Street Band
    Radiohead
    Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I've heard it all from this board, people i know and websites stating so many different bands are the best live. Frankly its pretty annoying and confusing to me. Everyone here, and plenty of mags state PJ is one of the best, or the best....but then i also hear other new bands being better than PJ. Basically, if you had to pick one band to see live what band would it be?

For me, no brainer, Pearl Jam.

PEARL JAM. Whats CRAZY is that i've heard people who are NOT crazy fans like us say they indeed are the best band to see live. In second, say whatEVER u want but KID ROCK is definitely nexxxt. The dude can rock.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SIGUR ROS

[/thread]
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ
    NIN a close second!

I'll second that! PJ is a no brainer. NIN were incredible at Reading Festival last year. Chris Cornell is also at the top of his game right now - his voice is in good shape, he plays for over 2 and a half hours, and really changes up the set list each night.

RATM - it's been a long time since I last saw them, but I've no doubt they could still rock like mutha fuckers.

Arcade Fire put on an epic live performance.

Kings of Leon are also superb live.

Foo Fighters, seen them a million times over the last 12 years or so, the last time being in december '07, and that was probably the best I've seen or heard them.

Alter Bridge - say what you will, but they always put on a blinding show, incredibly tight live band, and Myles Kennedy's voice is like a force of nature.

I could keep going for quite a while, but those are the bands that I get most excited about seeing.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    PJ.

Muse
    U2
    Sigur Ros
    The Frames
    QOTSA
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    JordyWordy wrote:
    PJ.

Muse
    U2
    Sigur Ros
    The Frames
    QOTSA

How could I forget Muse?! Great live band.
  • fleahorsefleahorse Posts: 50
    MUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

best band around