Remember These Timeless 80's Hair Bands?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited May 2008 in Other Music

Top Searched '80s Big-Hair Bands on AOL Search:
1. KISS
2. Aerosmith
3. Poison
4. Cinderella
5. Def Leppard
6. Motley Crue
7. Twisted Sister
8. Whitesnake
9. Quiet Riot
10. Guns N' Roses

I think I can remember seeing at least 7 of those bands mainly due to taking my students to their first concerts. My first ever ROCK concert was seeing KISS in the summer of 1978 and I'm sure that's why right now I'm hard of hearing from THAT concert.

I was really young but I loved the noise and especially the atmosphere.

Do you recall any hair bands of the 80's.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    "rememberl"?

these bands shaped my high school experience. i still listen to all that stuff.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Each one of those bands provided me and my friends with at least one classic singalong a few years ago. Y'know - when we'd go around school singing those songs at the top of our lungs. I wish I was joking.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Oh what about that band RATT with that song....ahhh yeah *Round and Round*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• remember!?! How can i forget?

no seriously, how can i forget those shitty bands? Brain surgery? i need to know. ;)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Speaking of HAIR bands checkout these guys and Cliff Burton....For Whom The Bell Tolls. Back when they had HAIR. :)

Peace

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I hate seeing GnR lumped in with hair bands. Appetite is a timeless classic, and if not for their excessive indulgence, they probably could have been one of the greats. There aren't many bands that compare to the Guns during that brief period.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I hate seeing GnR lumped in with hair bands. Appetite is a timeless classic, and if not for their excessive indulgence, they probably could have been one of the greats. There aren't many bands that compare to the Guns during that brief period.
    Agreed, word for word.

I mean shit... listen to Appetite. That is a raw, well-produced, not over-produced rock n' roll album. It has nothing to do with hair.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • g under p wrote:

1. KISS
    2. Aerosmith
    3. Poison
    4. Cinderella
    5. Def Leppard
    6. Motley Crue
    7. Twisted Sister
    8. Whitesnake
    9. Quiet Riot
    10. Guns N' Roses

I think I can remember seeing at least 7 of those bands mainly due to taking my students to their first concerts. My first ever ROCK concert was seeing KISS in the summer of 1978 and I'm sure that's why right now I'm hard of hearing from THAT concert.

Peace

When I go out, I dance with my girlfriends to numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 :o

I absolutely adore 1 and 6.... always hated 10... hmm...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Of course, I remember how could I forget such great bands.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Brainofdz wrote:

Do the Gunners even make the list if Axl tells the hairstylist to go fuck themselves while shooting the Welcome to the Jungle video?
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Kiss and Aerosmith were bands that came out in the early 70's and just
    happened to be around still in the 80's.

I love the 70's Kiss and Aerosmith. Amazing stuff.
    The 80's stuff not as much.

I know of this lead guitar player from a very famous band that really liked Kiss and Aerosmith and at times has played parts of their songs during his solos...........
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I think you'll find a surprising number of Pearl Jam fans have a soft spot for 80's hair metal bands.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    1. KISS
    gotta love em' for their live shows.
    2. Aerosmith
    come on, they put out some good rock n roll for 30 years
    3. Poison
    not so much (ok,ok, I slow danced to "every rose has it's thorn", just like most of you)
    4. Cinderella----Long Cold Winter, that's about it.
    5. Def Leppard----Never cared for them.
    6. Motley Crue----Pretty damn good in their hey day.
    7. Twisted Sister----SUCKED (but I did like We're not gonna take it when I was in 3rd grade)
    8. Whitesnake
    Robert Plant POSER
    9. Quiet Riot
    NOPE
    10. Guns N' Roses----Should not be on this list.
  • I've seen them all except KISS

I still pull pull out my g-n-r music sometimes.

Scorpians is missing from this list. Rock you like a hurricane - come on, where's that? shit- I just had unbelievable flashbacks.

God, Rudy Sarso was so hot.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I've never considered KISS, Aerosmith, or Guns N Roses to be hair bands. Like gregkitefan said, KISS and Aerosmith were on the scene before the hair bands hit it big. They might have changed their sound a little bit to stay with trends and wanting to stay on top of the mainstream, but they definitely should not be lumped as a hair band. I never associated GNR as a hair band mainly because their lyrical content wasn't tpyical of a hair band.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I've never considered KISS, Aerosmith, or Guns N Roses to be hair bands. Like gregkitefan said, KISS and Aerosmith were on the scene before the hair bands hit it big. They might have changed their sound a little bit to stay with trends and wanting to stay on top of the mainstream, but they definitely should not be lumped as a hair band. I never associated GNR as a hair band mainly because their lyrical content wasn't tpyical of a hair band.

Yeah, that list was a pretty crappy example of 80's hair bands, really. They just happened to be making rock and roll at the same time as these other bands.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I loved that song by White Snake

Slide it in....
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

yeah aerosmith and kiss were big in the seventies

mmmmmmm......rats in the cellar is great live!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    van halen, AC/DC and Ozzy for me during that time

never liked any of those "glam" metal acts
  • the first album i owned was a cassette of Poison's Open and Say Ah. I didn't buy it, someone just gave it to me when i was in the fourth grade.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • the first album i owned was a cassette of Poison's Open and Say Ah. I didn't buy it, someone just gave it to me when i was in the fourth grade.

was unskinny bop on that cd? ridiculous song, but I loved it.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I've seen them all except KISS

I still pull pull out my g-n-r music sometimes.

Scorpians is missing from this list. Rock you like a hurricane - come on, where's that? shit- I just had unbelievable flashbacks.

God, Rudy Sarso was so hot.

HERE I AM, lol.

But with covers like these, would you really ever want to own their records.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Virgin_Killer.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Scorpions-album-lovedrive.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ScorpionsAnimalMagnetism.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ScorpionsPureInstinct.jpg
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • was unskinny bop on that cd? ridiculous song, but I loved it.

no, that had "Fallen Angel, "Nothin but a good time" and "Every Rose has its thorn"
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • greenmindgreenmind Posts: 34
    Brainofdz wrote:

well i hate seeing g'n'r taken at all seriously... they never were at any point between 1992-2002 and then all of a sudden people somehow take them seriously again.

at least some of those other bands were *amusing*... and not taking themselves too seriously... axl was just a homophobic bratty little princess.
    take a teenage riot to get me outta bed right now...
  • greenmind wrote:
    well i hate seeing g'n'r taken at all seriously... they never were at any point between 1992-2002 and then all of a sudden people somehow take them seriously again.

at least some of those other bands were *amusing*... and not taking themselves too seriously... axl was just a homophobic bratty little princess.

Yeah IMO GNR were pretty average. They had the hair so they get the title. Hair Band.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    greenmind wrote:

The only band from the list (and again I also exclude aerosmith and Kiss) that fits you rbill would be Poison because they get they're kinda of a joke but they go with it unlike Sebastion Bach-anyone see that interview where he flips out on the guy from muchmusic for comparing them to Poison?- and Twisted Sister. Those two bands "get it" like they understand they were part of a scene and are only around for nostalgia now but are cool with it. Bands like fucking motely crue are just fucking twats. Like do they really think they are anything more than a personification of decadency and shit taste? yet they still think they're cool, and all these sad assholes who wear too much denim and drive their confederate flag adorned pick up trucks blasting girls girls girls just sickens me.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    g under p wrote:

1. KISS
    2. Aerosmith
    3. Poison
    4. Cinderella
    5. Def Leppard
    6. Motley Crue
    7. Twisted Sister
    8. Whitesnake
    9. Quiet Riot
    10. Guns N' Roses

Peace

WTF? No Winger or Slaughter or Firehouse on the list??? :)

ps. Can't forget Faster Pussycat, their song House of Pain is a classic, in an "80's hair band roller skating couples only kind of way" :)
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    greenmind wrote:

First of all, I never mentioned 92-02, and that period has absolutly no effect on the brilliance of Appetite, which was a perfect rock record.

Some of those other bands were amusing because thats all they could be. They were talentless cunts who often weren't in on the joke of how disposable and awful they were. As for Axl's homophobia, I don't see what that has to do with the greatness of his bands first album. For the record I think Axl is a total douche and I always have, but in the time of Appetite he was the perfect front man of a perfect band with a perfect album.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Brainofdz wrote:
    First of all, I never mentioned 92-02, and that period has absolutly no effect on the brilliance of Appetite, which was a perfect rock record.

Some of those other bands were amusing because thats all they could be. They were talentless cunts who often weren't in on the joke of how disposable and awful they were. As for Axl's homophobia, I don't see what that has to do with the greatness of his bands first album. For the record I think Axl is a total douche and I always have, but in the time of Appetite he was the perfect front man of a perfect band with a perfect album.
    Agreed.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • greenmindgreenmind Posts: 34
    Brainofdz wrote:

i'm not talking about what g'n'r were between 92-02, i'm just talking about the attitude towards them and all of their music held by people during the period 92-02...

all those prog bands didn't become fashionable again after punk, so i'm just confused as to how a band like g'n'r became fashionable again after 'grunge'/'alternative' and being so derided. like when i was 14 in high school in 1994, admitting you liked g'n'r was kinda like admitting you liked bon jovi...

axl's homophobia seems reflective of his general attitude/persona as expressed in all of his music that i've heard.
    take a teenage riot to get me outta bed right now...