Who's Best the American or British Rock Bands?

2»

Comments

• larslars Posts: 524
    when it comes to being innovative the american bands win slightly...maybe because of the diverse demographics that determine USA...more influential possibilities to create new music
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    lars wrote:
    when it comes to being innovative the american bands win slightly...maybe because of the diverse demographics that determine USA...more influential possibilities to create new music

Thats true. If you list the cream of the crop of both places, America covers a broader spectrum, but when you break it down band by band, the Brits take it. You cant put Zeppelin or the Beatles in one category, but you could take a Van Halen or Black Crowes, both great bands, and categorize most of their material, aside from the oddball stuff.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    pearl jam is by far the best american band considering all that they do for their fan base and everything else that they are involved in nationally ......and at the moment i can't name a better american band that is still active ei touring/recording.......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    pearl jam is by far the best american band considering all that they do for their fan base and everything else that they are involved in nationally ......and at the moment i can't name a better american band that is still active ei touring/recording.......

The Black Crowes parted ways with Marc Ford once again and I have yet to see or hear the new guy, until I do the Black Crowes have been the best American band since they reformed. They have been on a live mission. Maybe they haven't put out an album since, but their playin has been white hot. They could be matched, but I dunno about exceeded.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I do miss The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Verve, Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics, Suede etc from the original list!!!

And by the way where the fuck are all the bands that are by far better than RHCP??? (To name a few) >> Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine, Screaming Trees, Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, System Of A Down, Deftones, Garbage etc????

It has no sense to compare UK and US bands, there are zillion great acts on both sides of the Atlantic!!! :D Period!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The Black Crowes parted ways with Marc Ford once again and I have yet to see or hear the new guy, until I do the Black Crowes have been the best American band since they reformed. They have been on a live mission. Maybe they haven't put out an album since, but their playin has been white hot. They could be matched, but I dunno about exceeded.

just my opinion but no i don't agree to me PJ is by far the best AMERICAN BAND at the moment .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I just realized their new guitarist is British so they may not be classified as an American band.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Brits have The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, David Bowie, The Kinks, The Clash and Radiohead.
    They win.

true true!!!!!!!!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    He is from America and was discovered in America,

By a Brit, Chas Chandler, via another Brit, Linda Keith. Americans weren't interested.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    and was taken to England, and let's face it Hendrix is essentially a solo act.

Mitch provided the springboard from which Jimi could create his intricate orchestrations of rhythm and lead. And Noel's "She's So Fine" features on Axis: Bold as Love; "Little Miss Strange" features on Electric Ladyland.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    With your logic America and Britain would share alotta bands. Zeppelin recorded here, had more early, and longstanding success over here, and once they got big they lived in America as much as possible.

The Yardbirds, which mutated into the New Yardbirds and then Led Zep, were considered the premier blues band on the London scene from 1964 onwards. They were as British as it gets. One should remember the original October 1966 idea for a supergroup, perhaps at Keith Moon's suggestion called Led Zeppelin, featuring London's finest.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    America has G'n'R & the Black Crowes & The Mars Volta.

Fucking hell, that seals the deal then. G'n'R are for Beavises and Buttheads, the Black Crowes are a retro ripoff of Jimmy Miller-era Stones and The Mars Volta steal most of their ideas from Hawkwind and early Floyd.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    So does that mean since Clapton, Page, Beck etc.etc.etc. are in American bands, since they chose to play music inspired by Americans. Not to say that the lot of them were endlessly original, but everything any of those guys ever did was just a step or two from somethin American

I kinda see your point but that is pretty illogical. If he wouldnt have backed up all those AMERICAN r&b cats he would have become nothin.

It's not illogical. Hendrix was completely unknown in America. You obviously don't know anything about him. In the summer of 1966, he was playing to audiences of about ten or twelve people, down at the Cafe Wha?, when Linda Keith first saw him and introduced him to Chas Chandler. Within days of arriving in London, Jimi's London-orchestrated prefab unit, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, were playing their first European tour, supporting Johnny Halliday. Jimi had been completely obscure, in the States. Practically destitute. A nobody. Chas took him to England, and made him a superstar. Jimi Hendrix was made in England.

As for those people you mention, if you think all they did was copy American blues, you need to open your ears. They were clearly established in Britain on a major level before going to the States. That is, they were considered the elite musicians in the country; they weren't playing to tiny audiences either. They had record deals and were doing national tours. They were also made in England.

Clapton, with Cream, explored the sonic terrain of British psychedelia and put music to the poetry of the English poet Peter Brown. Page plays more than just blues: his acoustic playing is heavily derivative of British folk pioneers such as Davey Graham whose style reflects his colonial British roots. As for Beck, he was as influenced by Bach as by Chuck Berry.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Led Zeppelin
    The Doors
    The Who
    Pink Floyd

Overkill :D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    g under p wrote:
    I've compiled a list of American and British rock bands and I was wondering which country has produced the best rock bands over the years?

The BRITS take this hands down, help me if I've left any out and tell me if I'm wrong.

AMERICAN

Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD
    Pearl Jam
    The Doors
    Van Halen
    Kiss
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    REM
    The Beach Boys
    The Greatful Dead
    The Eagles
    Guns and Roses
    Aerosmith
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Green Day
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
    Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band
    The Dave Mathews Band
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Parliament Funkadelic
    SoundGarden
    Nirvana
    Sly and the Famly Stones

BRITISH

Queen
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    Def Leppard
    The Clash
    Genesis
    U2
    The Sex Pistols
    Black Sabbath/Ozzy Ozbourne
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Whitesnake
    The Police
    Yardbirds
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Fleetwood Mac
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    XTC
    Cream
    The Kinks
    Dire Straits

Peace

You forgot Living Colour with american's (they never get enough credit, and their music is just brilliant, technically they're like Gods)
    For Britain also...Muse, Level 42, David Bowie

..and I would take some out of your list..but ok..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Best British band:Led Zeppelin
    Best Irish band:U2
    Best American band:White Stripes

Sorry P.J.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Ricsard wrote:
    I do miss The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Verve, Oasis, Blur, Stereophonics, Suede etc from the original list!!!

And by the way where the fuck are all the bands that are by far better than RHCP??? (To name a few) >> Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine, Screaming Trees, Faith No More, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, System Of A Down, Deftones, Garbage etc????

It has no sense to compare UK and US bands, there are zillion great acts on both sides of the Atlantic!!! :D Period!

I do think that Oasis is the most underrated overrated band in the world...if that makes sense. (it does to me)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Stereotype wrote:
    You forgot Living Colour with american's (they never get enough credit, and their music is just brilliant, technically they're like Gods)
    For Britain also...Muse, Level 42, David Bowie

..and I would take some out of your list..but ok..

There's a bunch I purposely left off so that peeps like you could list. BTW Living Colour is one of my favorite bands, love them and it's about time they come out with a NEW studio album. Vernon comes up with some great riffs.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Pearl jam
    Ramones
    Nirvana
    Guns and roses
    Skid row
    Soul asylum
    Metallica
    Green day
    SEX PISTOLS
    The Clash
    Red hot chilli peppers
    The Beatles
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    Aha from Norway and ABBA from Sweden :D

Some american: Johnny fucking Cash!!
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • The band with the cool name...............Soundgarden
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    lol american..

alice in chains
    blind melon
    stone temple pilots
    mother love bone

etc etc

way better than uk ;p

but uk have Sabbath hmm
  • I'd probably go with American as I only liked 3 bands on your British list.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    g under p wrote:
    I've compiled a list of American and British rock bands and I was wondering which country has produced the best rock bands over the years?

The BRITS take this hands down, help me if I've left any out and tell me if I'm wrong.

AMERICAN

Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD
    Pearl Jam
    The Doors
    Van Halen
    Kiss
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    REM
    The Beach Boys
    The Greatful Dead
    The Eagles
    Guns and Roses
    Aerosmith
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Green Day
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
    Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band
    The Dave Mathews Band
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Parliament Funkadelic
    SoundGarden
    Nirvana
    Sly and the Famly Stones

BRITISH

Queen
    Led Zeppelin
    The Who
    Pink Floyd
    Def Leppard
    The Clash
    Genesis
    U2
    The Sex Pistols
    Black Sabbath/Ozzy Ozbourne
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Whitesnake
    The Police
    Yardbirds
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Fleetwood Mac
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    XTC
    Cream
    The Kinks
    Dire Straits

Peace

U2 ARE NOT BRITISH!!!!!

SLY STONE MORE OF A FUNK GROUP AS OPPOSED TO A ROCK BAND
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    nickcat0 wrote:
    The UK has Led Zeppelin .... therefore they win .

Also boasting Black Sabbath , The Beatles , The Who , Pink Floyd , Yes , The Rolling Stones , The Jam , The Clash , The Sex Pistols etc. etc. is just showing off .
    Boasting Yes and The Sex Pistols is like a show of modesty in my opinion. "Yes, we have The Beatles and The Who but honestly, we DO produce some shit as well you know!"

:)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Skindred. They're currently on tour with Nonpoint.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    nutmeg81 wrote:
    U2 ARE NOT BRITISH!!!!!

SLY STONE MORE OF A FUNK GROUP AS OPPOSED TO A ROCK BAND

Who brought this back? Anyway, Sly Stone has played more rock concerts than any funk shows that I know of and he is found in the rock section in any music store however many are left these days.

Yes I know they're from Ireland, I've seen them play in Dublin. Anyway that close to England I'll call em British or is it that they're too much of a heavyweight to be listed?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    Who brought this back? Anyway, Sly Stone has played more rock concerts than any funk shows that I know of and he is found in the rock section in any music store however many are left these days.

Yes I know they're from Ireland, I've seen them play in Dublin. Anyway that close to England I'll call em British or is it that they're too much of a heavyweight to be listed?

Peace

Only that there was a bloody war of Independence, which the Irish won in 1921, to ensure that twenty-six counties of Ireland are definitely NOT part of Britain.