Who's Best the American or British Rock Bands?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I've compiled a list of American and British rock bands and I was wondering which country has produced the best rock bands over the years?

The BRITS take this hands down, help me if I've left any out and tell me if I'm wrong.

AMERICAN

Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD
Pearl Jam
The Doors
Van Halen
Kiss
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
REM
The Beach Boys
The Greatful Dead
The Eagles
Guns and Roses
Aerosmith
Metallica
Megadeth
Green Day
The Smashing Pumpkins
Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
Bruce Springsteen and E Street Band
The Dave Mathews Band
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Parliament Funkadelic
SoundGarden
Nirvana
Sly and the Famly Stones

BRITISH

Queen
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Pink Floyd
Def Leppard
The Clash
Genesis
U2
The Sex Pistols
Black Sabbath/Ozzy Ozbourne
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Whitesnake
The Police
Yardbirds
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Fleetwood Mac
Radiohead
Coldplay
XTC
Cream
The Kinks
Dire Straits

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• U2 are Irish.

Either way, you are leaving out some American rock bands/artists:

Prince
    Elvis
    DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS
    The White Stripes
    CCR!
    Allman Brothers Band
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    JIMI HENDRIX
    Bob Dylan

Personally, I'll take the American rock bands.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,224
    Michael Franti??? And I love Drive-By Truckers, but let's calm down...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    pj144 wrote:
    Michael Franti??? And I love Drive-By Truckers, but let's calm down...

That's funny!

I was mostly trying for Bands, I did miss CCR and RATM.

I cold then include
    Rod Stewart
    David Bowie
    Robert Plant and others.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    The Ramones are American, they aren't on the list
  • Sort of in a scrambled sunday night brain order
    To add to the Americans mainly because I'm just sitting here with my old record collection and getting ready to put it on CD:

Talking Heads
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band - GREAT band!
    The Stray Cats (Brian Setzer)
    Jefferson Airplane
    Santana
    Big Brother and the Holding Company - Janis Joplin
    Frank Zappa _ Mothers Of Invention
    Captain Beefheart and his Magic Bands (And one year of the Tragic band)
    The Band
    Little Feat
    The Roots
    MC-5
    Beck
    The Flaming Lips
    Foo Fighters
    Hot Tuna
    Devo
    The B-52's
    X
    Black Flag
    The Stray Cats
    Velvet Underground
    Wilco
    TV on the Radio
    The Pretenders
    Canned Heat
    Mountain

England

Jethro Tull
    Ten Years After
    Sex Pistols
    Yardbirds
    The Animals
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Yes
    King Crimson (The original band)

Oh man, so many more but I love'm all and nobody's better than the other. :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • it looks pretty damn close to me

did anybody include elvis for the american list?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    The UK has Led Zeppelin .... therefore they win .

Also boasting Black Sabbath , The Beatles , The Who , Pink Floyd , Yes , The Rolling Stones , The Jam , The Clash , The Sex Pistols etc. etc. is just showing off .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    this thread is repugnant :mad:

U2 are Irish not British :rolleyes:

at least 2 of you have said England instead of Britain.. :rolleyes:

they teach us something over here called Geography.. maybe some of you should learn about it... its about OTHER countries!!!

that said i pick Uganda :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    spice girls and s club 7 vs n'sync and the backstreet boys. :D:p

too close to tell i'm afraid. ;):p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    America has Pearl Jam.

no contest, sorry.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    spice girls and s club 7 vs n'sync and the backstreet boys. :D:p

too close to tell i'm afraid. ;):p
    Well Britain had 5ive aswell, so that puts them one ahead.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Well Britain had 5ive aswell, so that puts them one ahead.

well australia has the wiggles so we totally win. cause nothing's more important than keeping your toddler and under 5ers amused and out of your hair. ;):D:D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The brits were better in the 70's for sure. Maybe the 60's. but every other decade i think the american bands have been better.

Overall i may have to give the nod to the brits for the classic foundation with bands like the who, led zep, pink floyd, sabbath etc
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Technically you should have put The Jimi Hendrix Experience in the british category thus making that category an easy winner.
    edit : concerning classic rock that is
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience was a British band, formed in October 1966 by Chas Chandler. Of course, Jimi was from Seattle, but he had to come to England to make it. Noel and Mitch were English, as was Chas's co-manager, Michael Jeffery. Jimi's first record label was Track, here in the UK. There's no getting around this.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    British bands have been pretty bad for the most part 90's to present. Just about all my favorite newer bands of this decade arent from England.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    intodeep wrote:
    The brits were better in the 70's for sure. Maybe the 60's. but every other decade i think the american bands have been better.

Overall i may have to give the nod to the brits for the classic foundation with bands like the who, led zep, pink floyd, sabbath etc

Totally agree
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Where´s Alice fuckin´ Chains in this thread? i´ll pick them over Soundgarden, Metallica and nirvana

from 80´s to now 90% of british bands are a bunch of Beatles wannabe´s...
  • The Brits would have won hands down in the past but now I'm not so sure. All of the more recent bands I like are American.

I would like to point out however, that for such a small country, we have had as many good bands as the United States. I think it's impressive. :)
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I would like to point out however, that for such a small country, we have had as many good bands as the United States. I think it's impressive. :)

Very good point. I think it's ridiculous to get into the whole "who's the best" business here because there are just way too many great bands from either side "of the pond". I couldn't begin to form a definitive answer to this question.
  • gabers wrote:
    Very good point. I think it's ridiculous to get into the whole "who's the best" business here because there are just way too many great bands from either side "of the pond". I couldn't begin to form a definitive answer to this question.

:o
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    England has alot of the "Greatest of all time" bands, But America has more bands just below that teir of supremacy.
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience was a British band, formed in October 1966 by Chas Chandler. Of course, Jimi was from Seattle, but he had to come to England to make it. Noel and Mitch were English, as was Chas's co-manager, Michael Jeffery. Jimi's first record label was Track, here in the UK. There's no getting around this.

So does that mean since Clapton, Page, Beck etc.etc.etc. are in American bands, since they chose to play music inspired by Americans. Not to say that the lot of them were endlessly original, but everything any of those guys ever did was just a step or two from somethin American

I kinda see your point but that is pretty illogical. If he wouldnt have backed up all those AMERICAN r&b cats he would have become nothin.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like both american and british bands. there are just too many bands out there, whether "popular" or not, for me to pick which origin is better!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    The Brits would have won hands down in the past but now I'm not so sure. All of the more recent bands I like are American.

That more than anything else was my point, for such a small country compared to the US they've done very well for themselves. This also seems to drift back and forth as to whom's the best over the decades. I love em both but I'm a bit old school with the classic stuff.

Peace

• KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    So does that mean since Clapton, Page, Beck etc.etc.etc. are in American bands, since they chose to play music inspired by Americans. Not to say that the lot of them were endlessly original, but everything any of those guys ever did was just a step or two from somethin American

I kinda see your point but that is pretty illogical. If he wouldnt have backed up all those AMERICAN r&b cats he would have become nothin.

That doesn't stand. The jimi hendrix experience has 2/3 of british members (one being one of the most kickass drummers of that style), recorded in england, had their first hit in england, lived in england. etc.
    If clapton, page and beck had american bands, recorded in the states and lived there, you would have a point.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    The Brits have The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, David Bowie, The Kinks, The Clash and Radiohead.
    They win.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Brits have The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, David Bowie, The Kinks, The Clash and Radiohead.
    They win.

I concur but could I add The Cure and The Smiths to that list please.
    Thank You
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    Kann wrote:
    That doesn't stand. The jimi hendrix experience has 2/3 of british members (one being one of the most kickass drummers of that style), recorded in england, had their first hit in england, lived in england. etc.
    If clapton, page and beck had american bands, recorded in the states and lived there, you would have a point.

He is from America and was discovered in America, and was taken to England, and let's face it Hendrix is essentially a solo act. Not to take away from his bandmates, but that's the truth.

With your logic America and Britain would share alotta bands. Zeppelin recorded here, had more early, and longstanding success over here, and once they got big they lived in America as much as possible.

In this argument, I don't think, you can make the criteria that wide. I mean would you go as far to say that Brit gets the Beatles, America gets their solo output.

America has G'n'R & the Black Crowes & The Mars Volta.