How much did you pay for the Radiohead album?

2»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i might have paid more if this were a different band. but id not have bought the album at all and haven't bought a radiohead album since kid a anyway. so i gave them a buck to support the idea and figured i'd listen to the album. i like it. it's not great, but it's the most consistent album they've done since ok computer. when it comes out on cd, ill buy the actual cd.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Julien wrote:
    So, why paying $20 (or $80 ! as some of you did)...? I don't get it

Those of us who paid £40 ($80) were buying the boxset which included the download ... so we didn't have to make a choice about how much to pay for the download.

"DISCBOX

THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
    AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
    A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
    THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
    ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

THE ALBUM DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY COMES WITH THIS PACK.
    YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILE DIGITALLY FROM THE 10TH OCTOBER 2007.
    THE DOWNLOAD IS PROVIDED AS A .ZIP FILE WHICH CONTAINS THE 10 160KBPS MP3 ENCODED TRACKS.

DISCBOXES ARE BEING MADE TO ORDER AND ARE PRICED AT £40.00 INCLUDING POSTAGE.
    SHIPPING WILL BEGIN ON OR BEFORE 3RD DECEMBER 2007."
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • GetALifeGetALife Posts: 563
    ...7 pounds...orientation for me was 10 dollars/ca. 9 Euro per PJ-download-boot.
    2000: Hamburg
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Munich * Düsseldorf
    2009: Berlin * Manchester * London
    2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin
    2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen
    EV 2012: Amsterdam I & II
    2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin
    EV 2017: Berlin
    2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin
    2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II #
    2024: Berlin I & II

~~~

“It is curious that while good people go to great lengths to spare their children from suffering, few of them seem to notice that the one (and only) guaranteed way to prevent all the suffering of their children is not to bring those children into existence in the first place.”
    ― David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I paid $0.00. The album was just ok but I wouldn't have bought it if it were in stores. Just not a huge radiohead fan.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    five dollars
    just enough to encourge them to do it again
  • $2.92- after conversion, I elected to pay 1 pound.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • 2.45 pounds, which ended up being about 5 bucks. i'll buy it when i can get a real copy of it too, i just couldn't afford the discbox right now:(
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm waiting for the hard copy. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Scrolling though the thread it looks like a lot of the people who paid $0 were people not into Radiohead but thought about giving the album a try. It seems the fans of the band are paying between $5 to $10, bought the Discbox for $80, or paid $0 now with the plan of buying the CD when released.

To me this seems like the band accomplished what it wanted by doing this as the diehards paid for the download but new people to the band got a free sampler that may hook them on the band.

Just a brilliant marketing strategy all the way around.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i got the free download.......and i will buy the cd when it's released in 08.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    I went ahead and gave 9£ for it, or 9,45 as it trurned out, as I was not aware of the fee. :)

Yes, I am a fan, and don't regret paying that for it. It translates to a "nice price" cd here anyway.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Chime wrote:
    Those of us who paid £40 ($80) were buying the boxset which included the download ... so we didn't have to make a choice about how much to pay for the download.

I know that...
    But paying £40 for a CD, sory, but I think it's stupid !
    Come on, those guys are 100 times or 1000 times richer than you are.. and you still consider you have to "support" them by paying £40..? I don't get it... i'll buy the CD when it will be in stores, like I do for every artist I like and want to support.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Julien wrote:
    I know that...
    But paying £40 for a CD, sory, but I think it's stupid !
    Come on, those guys are 100 times or 1000 times richer than you are.. and you still consider you have to "support" them by paying £40..? I don't get it... i'll buy the CD when it will be in stores, like I do for every artist I like and want to support.
    The 40£ is not just for the CD, but for vinyls, T-shirts, artwork etc in a big package. I would have bought that had I been just a little more die-hard fan.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I paid about $10 but I still haven't listened to it. If I like it I'll get the hard copy when it comes out.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I paid nothing. When it's released in the normal way I'll buy it. If I''m not mistaken the download isn't the complete album, I think there about 6 other tracks? I'm still trying to find where I picked this up.
  • I paid nothing but im buying the disc box,i see that as a fair deal, just get a taste of what the album is like
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    zero but i'll buy the album when it'll be released next year.

i must say i don't buy into all the hype surrounding this album.
    yeah sure it has some nice melodies and is a far cry from bad, but to me
    radiohead sounds less "vital" on in rainbows than ever.

i really dig jigsaw falling into place though!!!!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I paid nothing. Wanted to listen to it first and then decide if it's worth the money or not. It definitely IS worth the money..
    So now I'll have to buy the disc-box.. Just trying to find out how I am able to afford it^^
  • I paid $20 for the download and then I bought the discbox. I decided to give them money for the download because I thought the idea of letting the consumer pick the price was genius. I'll gladly put $100 total towards a collection like this.
  • I paid nothing. But I got it the old fashion way: Someone burned me a copy, someone who downloaded it for nothing.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • 0.00 but I'll be purchasing it in one form or another when I get another job.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    0.00 but I'll be purchasing it in one form or another when I get another job.

weak... how did the resident radiohead hater pay more than the diehard defender ;)
  • weak... how did the resident radiohead hater pay more than the diehard defender ;)
    College is financially constricting :p

And I'm gonna pay a dollar more than you when I do buy it you bastard.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"