U2 and the Bands Who Pretends To Be Them.

2»

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    elmer wrote:
    There's this song called Come Back.......

Zooropa was always gonna be a tough one, having to follow-up Achtung, but think it's one of their most under-rated albums. Pop wasn't all as bad as was made out either.

Yeah, a friend of mine who was a huge fan of Achtung Baby like I was always thought Zooropa was an E.P. and never bought it until I loaned it to him a few years ago. Not quite the brilliant album that Achtung Baby was but a near perfect follow up. And I started giving Pop more credit a few years ago after listening to it again. It was a lot better than I remember thinking when it came out.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    A-Baby has always been a great driving disc to listen to. bonus if you have a convertible. the UFire/JTree/ABaby threesome shows some serious evolution (no pun intended) in their musical growth.
    I love to turn you on
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    KID A, AMNESIAC & HAIL TO THE THIEF are mediocre?

Quit huffing cans under your sink dude.

Oh it gets so tiring to hear people talk about Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail To The Thief like they are these amazing albums...experimental...yes...but not amazing...you're not going to change my opinion...and if I was huffing cans I'd probably have Kid A on hehe
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    petrocs wrote:
    Oh it gets so tiring to hear people talk about Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail To The Thief like they are these amazing albums...experimental...yes...but not amazing...you're not going to change my opinion...and if I was huffing cans I'd probably have Kid A on hehe
    Much more tiring to hear people call The Bends an amazing album in my opinion. Blandly entertaining britrock at best.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Much more tiring to hear people call The Bends an amazing album in my opinion. Blandly entertaining britrock at best.

Oh hush up! Dude no offense, but if you had heard My Iron Lung when it came out back in the mid 90's you would know that it was nowhere near the "blandly entertaining britrock" that was around at the time. Sure The Bends lacks the sophistication of their later albums, but it is in my opinion, an incredible guitar album that sounded like NOTHING else out there at the time. Not to mention it's a really varied album, and showed a huge progression on from Pablo Honey. I think a lot of latter day Radiohead fans are critical because there have been many bands who have indulged in that style since, so it doesn't seem so fresh in retrospect.
    Oh hush up! Dude no offense, but if you had heard My Iron Lung when it came out back in the mid 90's you would know that it was nowhere near the "blandly entertaining britrock" that was around at the time. Sure The Bends lacks the sophistication of their later albums, but it is in my opinion, an incredible guitar album that sounded like NOTHING else out there at the time. Not to mention it's a really varied album, and showed a huge progression on from Pablo Honey. I think a lot of latter day Radiohead fans are critical because there have been many bands who have indulged in that style since, so it doesn't seem so fresh in retrospect.
    I appreciate that but I like to judge albums by the music and how it affects me, not whether or not it was fresh at the time :) You're damn right, my first introduction to Radiohead was hearing Karma Police in 1997. After OK Computer, The Bends felt like a backwards step to me. Besides, I'm just trying to show the people who hate post-OK Computer fans that they are just as annoying as the people they get so annoyed at. I trade in hyperbole here mate :) Gets my point across with more emphasis. It's a messageboard, it's not real life. The Bends is a fine album, honestly. It doesn't do much for me but I don't hate it. It just amuses me that fans of earlier Radiohead who happen to not like Kid A et al feel the need to tell people like me that we are kidding ourselves and that it's really just bleepy noise (have they even fucking listened? :o)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I appreciate that but I like to judge albums by the music and how it affects me, not whether or not it was fresh at the time :) You're damn right, my first introduction to Radiohead was hearing Karma Police in 1997. After OK Computer, The Bends felt like a backwards step to me. Besides, I'm just trying to show the people who hate post-OK Computer fans that they are just as annoying as the people they get so annoyed at. I trade in hyperbole here mate :) Gets my point across with more emphasis. It's a messageboard, it's not real life. The Bends is a fine album, honestly. It doesn't do much for me but I don't hate it. It just amuses me that fans of earlier Radiohead who happen to not like Kid A et al feel the need to tell people like me that we are kidding ourselves and that it's really just bleepy noise (have they even fucking listened? :o)

You sound like an angry young man. It's just music ;)
    You sound like an angry young man. It's just music ;)
    Not angry at all, just determined that if other people are going to make crass generalisations and pig-headed analyses of music, I'll beat them at their own game :p

As I say, it's just a messageboard. I don't care if someone disagrees with what I have to say, I'm not going to temper my opinions so I don't put someone's nose out of joint, THAT would be taking things too seriously. It IS just music but music is my passion and I will be passionate about it if it suits me.

My "ire" isn't directed at people like you by the way. Though we rarely seem to agree with anything on here, I always agree with the way you make your points. A gentleman t'be sure :)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Not angry at all, just determined that if other people are going to make crass generalisations and pig-headed analyses of music, I'll beat them at their own game :p

As I say, it's just a messageboard. I don't care if someone disagrees with what I have to say, I'm not going to temper my opinions so I don't put someone's nose out of joint, THAT would be taking things too seriously. It IS just music but music is my passion and I will be passionate about it if it suits me.

My "ire" isn't directed at people like you by the way. Though we rarely seem to agree with anything on here, I always agree with the way you make your points. A gentleman t'be sure :)

I was only kidding! It just seems that sometimes your retorts belie your intelligence. On the one hand you said The Bends was bland britrock, then you said it was a fine album! Of course music is your passion, as it is mine. Whilst I can see you wanted to just put that guy's nose out of joint, you kind of come across as mocking those who actually find the album to be special.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Holyshit! You guys are still on this topic?

It was a FUCKING blog! :rolleyes:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    I was only kidding! It just seems that sometimes your retorts belie your intelligence. On the one hand you said The Bends was bland britrock, then you said it was a fine album! Of course music is your passion, as it is mine. Whilst I can see you wanted to just put that guy's nose out of joint, you kind of come across as mocking those who actually find the album to be special.
    You misunderstood me when I said it was fine. I didn't mean fine like fine wines or fine spices, I mean ok, nice, provoking no particular reaction in me :)

But otherwise, yes, I agree with you, and mocking is not my aim here. I'm certainly not out to belittle fans of The Bends, only those who seek to do the same to people who don't feel the same.

Oh, and for thread integrity, Radiohead sound fuck all like U2. They never have.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Good to see you two have worked things out.

And despite the disagreements, at least 99% of Radiohead fans will always have one common uniting belief: Pablo Honey is a pack of shit.
  • muppet wrote:
    I think I'm one of the few who pretty much likes all of U2s albums.

As for the article, I can see it with Coldplay and The Killers, but not so much Radiohead. Hell, The Killers steal off everyone, from Springsteen to the Smashing Pumpkins.

i actually like most of u2s stuff too....the killers do steal to btw