U2 and the Bands Who Pretends To Be Them.

LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
edited July 2008 in Other Music
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/getback/338/u2-and-the-bands-who-pretend-to-be-them
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00am PDT by Shawn Amos in GetBack

Here's our favorite '80s U2 moment and our list of their Top 5 best songs. Yours?

Are you sitting down? It's been 28 years since U2's debut release. 28 freaking YEARS! That's older than the median age of most dudes on the rock charts these days. You were probably in high school when you first heard U2. You're hopefully not in high school now. 28 years. I just have to say it out loud again.

Today U2's first three albums, Boy (1980), October (1981), and War (1983) have been re-released to remind us of their humble Dublin beginnings. And while some would say they've worn out their welcome, I say that any band who stays together, works hard, and plays every show like it's their last is all right with me. They've made the world safe for anthemic rock. Any modern rock band who plays two chords before jumping a dramatic octave owes something to U2.

Here are three bands who wouldn't exist without U2. I'm sure you'll have your opinions. Go ahead and have at it. I can take it.

THE KILLERS
Listen to "Mr. Brightside." Ignore the matching '80s suits and listen to that guitar sound and the bass pumping out root notes. Sound familiar?

RADIOHEAD
Before they beautifully detoured into art rock esoterica, Radiohead was vying for the anthem rock throne. Their aching "High And Dry" was offered up as their version of "With Or Without You."

COLDPLAY
They stole U2's producer. They stole U2's iPod commerical. They stole U2's super-sincerity. They are U2 with a piano.

Wow, the blogger says Radiohead wouldn't exist without U2? Radiohead made 4 classic album in th last 13 years and U2 only made two good albums(War and The Joshua Tree) in their 28-year career.

I'm beginning this band more than any other band right now. Way way overrated!
PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm by no means U2's biggest fan, but to say they only made 2 good albums is wrong, by sheer weight of leaving out Achtung Baby, if nothing else. And most bands would kill to have written songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where The Streets Have No Name and One. And I'm pretty certain The Killers and Coldplay would openly admit to owing a lot to U2... Coldplay for the obvious reasons, and The Killers because Sam's Town was blatantly their version of the Joshua Tree.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm by no means U2's biggest fan, but to say they only made 2 good albums is wrong, by sheer weight of leaving out Achtung Baby, if nothing else. And most bands would kill to have written songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where The Streets Have No Name and One. And I'm pretty certain The Killers and Coldplay would openly admit to owing a lot to U2... Coldplay for the obvious reasons, and The Killers because Sam's Town was blatantly their version of the Joshua Tree.
    Songs you mentioned were from the 80's. they've been making crap since then even 1991's Achtung Baby(ok, nothing great about) and everything since has sounded the same.

maybe it's just me then, I just can't distinguished the difference in their songs the 20 years. :D
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think I'm one of the few who pretty much likes all of U2s albums.

As for the article, I can see it with Coldplay and The Killers, but not so much Radiohead. Hell, The Killers steal off everyone, from Springsteen to the Smashing Pumpkins.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I must be deaf, because I can't hear it with the Killers at all.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    First off saying Radiohead has 4 great albums is inaccurate..they have 2 (OK Computer and The Bends) everything else is mediocre. U2 has 4 (War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby) and 3 very good albums (Boy, All You Cant Leave Behind, Rattle and Hum)...as for Coldplay...they crapped out at 2 great albums ..I saw Coldplay 5 times in concert including last night and they can want to be the next U2 all they want...its not going to happen. $97 for an hour and a half show filled with almost the entire crappy new album and 1.. i repeat... 1 Parachute song???...what a terrible show!...bottom line...say what you want about U2..there will never be another U2
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Pop is the best U2 album.

Yeah, I said it.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AndySlash wrote:

Yeah, I said it.

yeah but did you mean it? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Damn right I did.
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Fake Plastic Trees is really nothing like With Or Without You. That's the best they could do? One measly song with minimal semblance? I can think of dozens of acts with songs as similar to WOWY as FPT is....

Otherwise, it's a pretty bogus article anyway.
    Here are three bands who wouldn't exist without U2.

:confused::confused::confused:
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    AndySlash wrote:

Yeah, I said it.

Yes! I love it when I come across someone who actually loves U2's 90's stuff. Personally, I think Zooropa is one of the peaks of their career; most people don't even know it exists.

I would say Radiohead is influenced by U2...I think putting them in a "wouldn't exist" category is a bit of a stretch. Either way, two of my favorite bands.

Coldplay; it's true. I love them, but come on. It's obvious.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    petrocs wrote:
    First off saying Radiohead has 4 great albums is inaccurate..they have 2 (OK Computer and The Bends) everything else is mediocre.

:(

http://i34.tinypic.com/2q2e147.jpg

Kid A, Amnesiac and In Rainbows piss all over The Bends.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Love them or hate them (I like em) there's no denying that U2 have written some great songs. My only problem with U2 is how corporate and calculating they are.
  • that guy's an idiot. he rights stupid shit every week. and given his hate for PJ, i'm suprised they weren't mentioned.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Very true.....

Personally, I see no link in Radiohead's sounds to U2 at all.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    All of their 80's albums are brilliant. Even Boy, i love that.

And even some of the songs off Pop & Zooropa are great when they played stripped down / acoustic live.

Best live band bar none
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i don't care what anyone says but The Killers' "Sam's Town" was one of the best mainstream rock releases i've heard in a long time. not perfect.... it sounded like they had something huge to say but didn't know where to start. all the ingredients are there, they just didn't put it together correctly.

as previously stated, i don't really heard Radiohead ripping off U2 very much. these lists Yahoo! puts together are really lame IMO.
    i don't care what anyone says but The Killers' "Sam's Town" was one of the best mainstream rock releases i've heard in a long time. not perfect.... it sounded like they had something huge to say but didn't know where to start. all the ingredients are there, they just didn't put it together correctly.

:eek: Are you kidding?! That album was an absolute mess. The only song I like on it is When You Were Young (so much so that I bought the album). The rest of it was a huge let down.

I always thought Remy Zero sounded a lot like U2, well U2 when they were good at least, see what you think:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzCvA0zsVM
    :eek: Are you kidding?! That album was an absolute mess. The only song I like on it is When You Were Young (so much so that I bought the album). The rest of it was a huge let down.

I always thought Remy Zero sounded a lot like U2, well U2 when they were good at least, see what you think:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzCvA0zsVM
    no i am not kidding at all. the title track is just as good as "When you Were Young". "Read My Mind" is such a great song.. one of the Killers finest tunes to date. only song on Sam's Town i do not like is the last one "Why Do I Keep Counting". that one just never did it for me. should of included "Daddy's Eyes" and "All The Pretty Faces", both stellar songs.
    no i am not kidding at all. the title track is just as good as "When you Were Young". "Read My Mind" is such a great song.. one of the Killers finest tunes to date. only song on Sam's Town i do not like is the last one "Why Do I Keep Counting". that one just never did it for me. should of included "Daddy's Eyes" and "All The Pretty Faces", both stellar songs.

Well I feel Sam's Town was falsely sold to me, I heard When Your Were Young and instantly liked it, it reminded me of Springsteen. I then read some reviews of the album that all brought up the Springsteen similarities and how it was a darker record etc. However when I played it none of the other songs seemed to capture the same vibe of WYWY at all, and that was what I was hoping for. Not that I wanted them to sound the same, but for there to be a certain common theme running through it musically, but I didn't get that at all. I'm glad someone liked it though :p
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    The Killers are an incredibly mediocre band. I would like to say that they suck, but I just can't bring myself to waste anymore typing effort on them.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :(

http://i34.tinypic.com/2q2e147.jpg

this is true! post-96 Radiohead stuff have been phenomenal!
  • eedheadeedhead Posts: 68
    Its very simple & ive been saying this for yrs, since 1991(after Achtung, great,great album - in my top 20/30 of the decade) U2 have released absolute bollox. Bar that, all previous are good/solid/fantastic (Joshua) albums.

The Pogues song/album applies here - "If I Should Fall From Grace With God"..

Parallels with Metallica are noteworthy too.
    " I demand to have more booze "
    Just too add, in many ways U2 have written the book as to how a modern day band SHOULD IN THEORY SURVIVE, all four members receive equal money (dont quote me, but its my understanding), though Adam & Larry write nothing ( am i right?) .....

They have stayed together since they were kids, with the same manager, who i believe takes a fifth - so its split 5 ways.

The Grateful Dead, whom i love, didnt even have that going on..

I have a serious Love/Hate relationship with U2.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Its a shame that a lot of U2 fans wont open their ears to Zooropa/Pop. Some of their best work IMO. Some of U2's most unpredictable and innovative work is on those albums.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    edved82 wrote:
    Its a shame that a lot of U2 fans wont open their ears to Zooropa/Pop. Some of their best work IMO. Some of U2's most unpredictable and innovative work is on those albums.

My ears are wide open, open any wider id be called Dumbo.

IMO they are poor albums, i applaud the bands attempts but it didnt cut it for me, and many others feel that way, i dont see how its got anything to do with long time fans "not opening their ears".....

If anyone wants "POP" on double vinyl, post and shoot me an addy, its a special collecters edition thats been listened to once, immaculate condition, im sure someone else can make more use of it than me.
    Well I feel Sam's Town was falsely sold to me, I heard When Your Were Young and instantly liked it, it reminded me of Springsteen. I then read some reviews of the album that all brought up the Springsteen similarities and how it was a darker record etc. However when I played it none of the other songs seemed to capture the same vibe of WYWY at all, and that was what I was hoping for. Not that I wanted them to sound the same, but for there to be a certain common theme running through it musically, but I didn't get that at all. I'm glad someone liked it though :p
    well, thanks for not trashing me and throwing me under the bus. i have a Sam's Town thread i've been running through my head for a few months now that i'm almost ready to post and get killed on.
  • Well I feel Sam's Town was falsely sold to me, I heard When Your Were Young and instantly liked it, it reminded me of Springsteen. I then read some reviews of the album that all brought up the Springsteen similarities and how it was a darker record etc. However when I played it none of the other songs seemed to capture the same vibe of WYWY at all, and that was what I was hoping for. Not that I wanted them to sound the same, but for there to be a certain common theme running through it musically, but I didn't get that at all. I'm glad someone liked it though :p
    I always thought the set they did on Live at Abbey Road was the best thing they've ever done. Stripped down, Sam's Town and When You Were Young sound much more of a type.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=killers+abbey+road&search_type=&aq=0&oq=killers+abb
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    There's this song called Come Back.......

Zooropa was always gonna be a tough one, having to follow-up Achtung, but think it's one of their most under-rated albums. Pop wasn't all as bad as was made out either.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I thought How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was quite good.....

No doubt I'm in a minority.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    petrocs wrote:
    First off saying Radiohead has 4 great albums is inaccurate..they have 2 (OK Computer and The Bends) everything else is mediocre.

KID A, AMNESIAC & HAIL TO THE THIEF are mediocre?

Quit huffing cans under your sink dude.
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18