Options

PJ Fan Mariann Brady loses home to fire

Comments

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    albawild wrote:
    As for insurance, if they will cover items like posters, it is for the purchase price ($20), not for the Ebay price she needs to pay to replace them.

Are you sure about that? A couple of years ago my parents garage flooded due to the crappy work of some contractors replacing the roofing. I had a bunch of collectibles stored in there like comic books and vinyl. For our policy we had to submit a list of everything that was damaged as well as its replacement value (for a bunch of stuff my dad just looked up ebay listings). For most of the stuff we were paid that (or a percentage of that if we wanted to keep the damaged stuff). My mom had a bunch of antique furniture and she was also paid the replacement value for it.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Are you sure about that? A couple of years ago my parents garage flooded due to the crappy work of some contractors replacing the roofing. I had a bunch of collectibles stored in there like comic books and vinyl. For our policy we had to submit a list of everything that was damaged as well as its replacement value (for a bunch of stuff my dad just looked up ebay listings). For most of the stuff we were paid that (or a percentage of that if we wanted to keep the damaged stuff). My mom had a bunch of antique furniture and she was also paid the replacement value for it.

Just depends on what kind of insurance you have/had. Some policies will only pay up to a certain amount and some will pay replacement. But with posters and collectibles and things, it is all subjective and has limits to what they will and wont cover unless you had some sort of an adendem(sp) or specific policy to cover those types of items. Also depends on the company and what you have worked out. There is no way that she will ever be able to replace everything, but we can do our besy to try, right? :D
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    dear friends
    The outpouring of love and good wishes from the pearl jam community has left me in tears so many times over the past few days that people nearby think I’m crying for the ‘things’ we lost in the fire when I’m really crying for the joy of knowing I am so cared for and loved by all of you. I wish I could reach out and hug every one of you right now. My hope is that I’ll be able to do that someday in the near future in ten club lines or at concerts as Pearl Jam gets us all together again.
    I’ve read so many positive comments online from people I’ve never met except through the internet, which is why my laptop was the first unnecessary thing I wanted, I needed, to replace. The Pearl Jam community is truly amazing and is very much part of my family.
    We’re painfully learning the process of putting our lives back together. I’d like to address some concerns I’ve read. First off, yes, we have insurance on both our home and car that were destroyed. We thought (and still hope) we have enough coverage to rebuild. This is our home, the place we raised our children, know our neighbors, and love our lifestyle. We worked hard over the 21 years we lived here to make it just right for us, and hope we can recreate that someday. After spending the last 3 days with insurance people we have learned that when we tell them what was in the house, they will reimburse us for about half of their worth. It doesn’t matter how much coverage we have. They take things very much at face value: A pearl jam t-shirt is just a old t-shirt to them. Stickers are just stickers, vinyl is just a record,, cd’s are just cd’s, posters are just paper. None of them are “special” to them as they are to me and my family. Yes, we had a lot of pearl jam memories and memorabilia. Though Jim and I were the only ones living in our home at the time, there are 5 ten club members in our family that stored their valued possessions there while finding their place in the world. On the walls, surrounding pictures of our family, were posters of shows we’d been to, guitar pics we were fortunate enough to get, lol..even framed vinyl! I guess we’re obsessed.
    I want to publicly thank our friends that started threads and the myspace page for me. They truly understand how I feel about the band and how much I miss the music already! My love goes out to all of you. I cannot begin to thank enough so many of you that are putting together music and video and other things so quickly. Wherever we end up during this process will feel a lot more like home, thanks to you! I love you all, so much!

mariann (aka rainman)
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    mariann wrote:
    dear friends
    The outpouring of love and good wishes from the pearl jam community has left me in tears so many times over the past few days that people nearby think I’m crying for the ‘things’ we lost in the fire when I’m really crying for the joy of knowing I am so cared for and loved by all of you. I wish I could reach out and hug every one of you right now. My hope is that I’ll be able to do that someday in the near future in ten club lines or at concerts as Pearl Jam gets us all together again.
    I’ve read so many positive comments online from people I’ve never met except through the internet, which is why my laptop was the first unnecessary thing I wanted, I needed, to replace. The Pearl Jam community is truly amazing and is very much part of my family.
    We’re painfully learning the process of putting our lives back together. I’d like to address some concerns I’ve read. First off, yes, we have insurance on both our home and car that were destroyed. We thought (and still hope) we have enough coverage to rebuild. This is our home, the place we raised our children, know our neighbors, and love our lifestyle. We worked hard over the 21 years we lived here to make it just right for us, and hope we can recreate that someday. After spending the last 3 days with insurance people we have learned that when we tell them what was in the house, they will reimburse us for about half of their worth. It doesn’t matter how much coverage we have. They take things very much at face value: A pearl jam t-shirt is just a old t-shirt to them. Stickers are just stickers, vinyl is just a record,, cd’s are just cd’s, posters are just paper. None of them are “special” to them as they are to me and my family. Yes, we had a lot of pearl jam memories and memorabilia. Though Jim and I were the only ones living in our home at the time, there are 5 ten club members in our family that stored their valued possessions there while finding their place in the world. On the walls, surrounding pictures of our family, were posters of shows we’d been to, guitar pics we were fortunate enough to get, lol..even framed vinyl! I guess we’re obsessed.
    I want to publicly thank our friends that started threads and the myspace page for me. They truly understand how I feel about the band and how much I miss the music already! My love goes out to all of you. I cannot begin to thank enough so many of you that are putting together music and video and other things so quickly. Wherever we end up during this process will feel a lot more like home, thanks to you! I love you all, so much!

mariann (aka rainman)

May God bless you and your family.

I checked out some of my vinyl last night, I'll get it out to you soon. It's not much, but in situations like this, if many contribute just a little, it will add up quickly.
  • Options
    mariann wrote:
    dear friends

mariann (aka rainman)

Keep your head up, Mariann!! Talked to Doris last night and Bruce this morning, I think we are all on the same page now(or should I say that I am finally caught up!! haha) and should have something to you very soon!! Let me know when you get your cell up and going again, and I will call you then!! talk soon...much love to you and Jim!!

Scottie

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Kel: Please read Mariann's note.

And while I understand the "why," your questioning "won't insurance cover everything" kind of misses the point of all of this. This is about us coming together and helping out a fellow longtime PJ fan who has contributed to this community in ways that many couldn't imagine. This isn't about money and it's not about "value." This is about friendship and love.

(And on the most simple, basic level, not everyone in the world has a ready-go-list of everything they owned to hand over to an insurance company. Especially if their house just burnt down. And even when insurance does help out, it won't cover everything, and a settlement check is going to take time to arrive.)

I'm sure any extras or duplicates or whatever will get passed around eventually. If you want to give and help, give and help. If not, don't. But please don't be cynical and please don't hurt the cause.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    ill be putting a care package together tonight...
    i lost a lot of my stuff last year in a robbery, i can only imagine how much worse this must feel. most importantly i send my prayers and thoughts.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Wow--bless you and your family.

I made a special avocado blanket that i will send and I know if have stickers and maybe some posters to send......
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    bump.

please everyone, anything would help. Mariann has done so much for this community, that a lot of people don't even realize what she's done.

Even if you have an extra Christmas single, it would help.

Thanks for everyone that has contributed.

We have all of the Pearl Jam bootlegs covered, so no need to start burning Pearl Jam bootlegs. Other band bootlegs would be appreciated.
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,507
    This is an awful thing that happened to some wonderful people. Sometimes, I almost can't believe the tradgedy in this world. I count my blessings and am grateful I have made it through (relatively) unscathed.

This story hits home on three levels for me:

I've been a fireman for 22 years.

I've been a huge PJ fan since Ten hit the airwaves.

and I collect, too (in my case, over $40k spent on mementos of some crappy baseball team).

I know how awful fires can be. Even though firemen sometimes get an adrenaline rush over running into fires, I always tell my guys to never forget how absolutely devastating they are for the homeowners. When we pick up our hoses and go home, the nightmare is just beginning for the victims. So, my heart goes out to Mariann and her family. Floods, fires, hurricanes and tornados - they're all terrible. On the positive side, it sounds like Mariann is the type of person who can get through something like this (with help from her many friends).

As far as collecting - I've asked myself a few times what I would do if my collection ever went up in smoke. The thought that some of my baseball "community" might help is heartwarming. And they probably would, now that I think of it.

Take care, Mariann. I know there's a lot of good vibes being sent your way. I believe in Karma (or at least, that what goes around comes around), so I'm pretty sure you'll get through this. It'll take time for sure but I bet you get that beautiful house rebuilt. I don't have any unique PJ stuff to send your way, so all I can do is send my best wishes and keep you in my thoughts. It sucks that this had to happen but I'm glad you've still got Jim and Max to get you through (and vice-versa).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    thanks for sharing, iamalive!
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    bump... Mariann, I'll be sending you a PM/email shortly....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bump

thank you!
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813
    can someone on here keep a running list of what is being sent to her, that way we're not duplicating?
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    can someone on here keep a running list of what is being sent to her, that way we're not duplicating?
    good idea.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    I'll post when I send it out this weekend.

Couple posters and stickers. :)
  • Options
    I'll post when I send it out this weekend.

Couple posters and stickers. :)
    you are awesome patrick. always the first one to help out. and foxy too!
    :cool:
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I'll put in a binaural vinyl
  • Options

There's no excuse not to help. :)
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,813

It's just the right thing to do! And you're always at the top also.. :)

Eric/Evil Closet Monkey also remembered that Mariann had ordered from Wishlist before, so he thought it was a great idea to resend her stuff, which is the least we can do, especially as a fan organization.

I'm gathering bootlegs and a bunch of extras that I have around the house to ship. That's what PJ friends are all about! :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    If someone could also post what she still needs that would be great. I'd love to help out if I can. I don't have any duplicate vinyl unfortunately but perhaps I can send her some other memorabilia (sp).
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    bump :)
  • Options
    I am sending her these posters.....

Pink Borgata

Dallas '98

WPB '98

• Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Mariann,

I don't know you, but I feel like I do somehow too. Just the fact that you are a fellow Oregonian makes you feel that much closer! Anyhow, when you get ready to re-build, I would be happy to donate cabinetry for your new place at our cost. Hope that helps. PM me for contact info.

Godspeed,

M
  • Options
    I am sending her these posters.....

Pink Borgata

Dallas '98

WPB '98

That's freaking aweosme. :D

I'll get my stuff togther tonight or tomorrow and post it.

Come on people get your ass in gear and help out. :D
  • Options
    StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    I have only one holiday single (2007) not played yet, my recordplayer is broke.
    So I haven't even heard it yet.

I'll send that and some DVD boots and anything else I can find.

Hope that helps somewhat

Peace to you all
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Options
    ((((((((Mariann & Family))))))))

So sorry for your loss. So thankful that everyone is safe.

Sending the Gorge CD set...just happened to get a second copy for Christmas and instead of returning it I knew there would be a home that needed a copy and PJ fan in need...so off it goes to Oregon!

Peace, Love and Pearl Jam!
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    I don't have much but I've got an extra badge set of the band from the tour that I'd be happy to send out her way, I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

I'm so glad no one was hurt, that's the most important part, even the dog made it.
  • Options
    Bump = this needs a STICKY!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    EdVedHedEdVedHed Posts: 100
    bump again
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.......Nietzsche