Any classical music fans here?

2»

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Are these different composers, or people who played Chopin?

These are pianists who play Chopin well...which for Chopin means that they play in an expressive and emotional way...with give and take in the phrases and the rhythm. :)

There are others but I think there are quite a few recordings you could easily find available from these men.

Arthur Rubinstein's recordings have all been re-issued recently because they are so good.

For the etudes, M. Pollini has an excellent recording too.
    For the waltzes, Dinu Lipatti is excellent.
    For the mazurkas, I'd stick to Rubinstein.
    For the Sonatas, you could also pick up Horowitz.

All these recordings are safe. What you want to avoid is bangy, rush-through-the-notes kind of performances. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    What you want to avoid is bangy, rush-through-the-notes kind of performances. :D

I haven't heard it yet and already I agree with you. What I love about the Funeral March is how reflective it is.. I cannot stand RUSHED, BANG BANG! classical music.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I haven't heard it yet and already I agree with you. What I love about the Funeral March is how reflective it is.. I cannot stand RUSHED, BANG BANG! classical music.

:)

A great performance of this type of music should make you feel like swooning. It's supposed to have that dreamy, *sigh*, I-can't-move-I'm-so-caught kind of mood. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    :)

A great performance of this type of music should make you feel like swooning. It's supposed to have that dreamy, *sigh*, I-can't-move-I'm-so-caught kind of mood. :D

NICE :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Now that the topic is dreamy - I am reminded of Debussy - La Mer, and Prelude a l'Apres Midi d'un faune (Prelude to the afternoon of a faun), which has quite a history. Nijinsky performed a ballet to the Afternoon of a faun, and it was quite scandalous for turn of the century Paris, and he was actually booed. Its a beautiful piece of music as is La Mer (the sea).

Another favorite: Rachmaninoff's rhapsody on a theme of Paganini. This piece sticks in my mind because parts of it were used in ballet class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MuPqYtV_k paganini theme
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yay! I really got into classical music in a big way recently. I have some recommendations.
    First and foremost, my favourite classical piece of all time is Tabula Rasa by Arvo Pärt. Here are some others. I know you said symphonic but here is a nice mix of different styles:

Tabula Rasa - Arvo Pärt (essential)
    Chopin - 24 Preludes
    Gyorgy Ligeti - Etudes pour Piano
    Aus den Sieben Tagen by Karlheinz Stockhausen (RIP)
    La Legende d'Er by Iannis Xenakis
    Madrigali Libri Quatro, Quinto & Sesto by Carlo Gesualdo (Seriously, there is a 5 second section of Merce Grido Piangendo by Gesualdo that may be the most perfect moment in music I have ever heard)
    Requiem by György Ligeti (This is a tad challenging for classical newbies probably but definitely worth a listen :))
    Rothko Chapel/Why Patterns? by Morton Feldman
    Krzysztof Penderecki - Sacred Choral Works (incredible)

I didn't mention any of the well known stuff like Mozart or Beethoven because you need to hear as much of that as possible anyway.

I was at the Royal Festival Hall in London about 25 years ago to here an evening of Gyorgy Ligeti's work. I think it was the LSO and the main piece played was called "Atmospheres". Gyorgy Ligeti was in the audience and when the gig was over the conductor made him stand up and take a bow, the ovation he received was as loud and fervent as I had heard at any rock gig. It seemed to go on for about 10 minutes. A few of his pieces are featured in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey film soundtrack, which is a good place to start if you want to here some of his work.
  • JussiJussi Posts: 10
    Wow, Arvo Pärt's Tabula Rasa is my favourite piece of music! I like other work by Pärt as well. For example Für Alina is very beautiful.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Fender_Man wrote:
    I was at the Royal Festival Hall in London about 25 years ago to here an evening of Gyorgy Ligeti's work. I think it was the LSO and the main piece played was called "Atmospheres". Gyorgy Ligeti was in the audience and when the gig was over the conductor made him stand up and take a bow, the ovation he received was as loud and fervent as I had heard at any rock gig. It seemed to go on for about 10 minutes. A few of his pieces are featured in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey film soundtrack, which is a good place to start if you want to here some of his work.
    Atmospheres is amazing. That's so cool. I wish I'd been there to be honest.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • i have a question in general and im not being sarcastic. . .can someone give me an example of bad classical music?. . .i can tell when something is good
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Hey, I'm not a classical fan or anything (though I might try some of your recommendations) but I found this a while ago and it might interest you guys.

New Czech Radio recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos
    The Brandenburg Concertos are an essential work in the baroque orchestral repertory, and yet we had to wait until last year to get the first complete Czech Radio recording performed on ancient instruments and based on the original scores, in line with modern standards of authentic performance.

Free downloads (flac & mp3):http://www.rozhlas.cz/d-dur/download_eng
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    i have a question in general and im not being sarcastic. . .can someone give me an example of bad classical music?. . .i can tell when something is good
    everything with art, music, theater, etc. is too purely subjective to label as good and bad.....Ever hear the adage of "I don't know about art but I know what I like"? So bad classical music to you would be any classical music that you don't like.
    i have a question in general and im not being sarcastic. . .can someone give me an example of bad classical music?. . .i can tell when something is good

Everyone has different taste, just like with food or music of all types, etc., but if I had to generalize I'd say that bad music does not convincingly project an authentic emotion or interesting thoughts.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&