Any classical music fans here?

MattCameronKicksButtMattCameronKicksButt Posts: 4,317
edited December 2007 in Other Music
What do you recommend?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    What kind of thing are you looking for? Symphonic? Solo instruments? Chamber music? Vocal? What?

Narrow it down for me and I'll recommend something. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    What kind of thing are you looking for? Symphonic? Solo instruments? Chamber music? Vocal? What?

Narrow it down for me and I'll recommend something. :D

Symphonic. Big band! :)
    Symphonic. Big band! :)

That's two different things! :p:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Symphonies: Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, and Haydn are lovely.

Big band: I don't like big bands! :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    Symphonies: Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, and Haydn are lovely.

Big band: I don't like big bands! :p

I guess big bands aren't classical. That's what I was looking for though.

I am starting to love instrumental music.
    Where do I start with Mozart? From one PJ fan to another?

*Edit* I REALLY thought more people would be able to shed some light on this for me. :(
    Let's see, with Mozart, if you get any piano concerto or symphony you almost can't go wrong.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    Let's see, with Mozart, if you get any piano concerto or symphony you almost can't go wrong.

Okay. Thanks. I guess I was a bit vague. :D

I want to learn more about classical music in general but how can anyone not like big band? :D
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Adagio for strings
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • You can't go wrong with Bach's Preludes and Fugues.
  • I enjoy Ennio Morricone's soundtrack music a lot.
  • Wolfang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem Mass in D minor (k 626)
    I love it. I think it was Mozart's last composition? Humm.. It's brilliant! :)

Ludwig van Beethoven - Missa Solemnis

Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 7 in E major

Ludwig van Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 5
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    What do you recommend?
    Yay! I really got into classical music in a big way recently. I have some recommendations.
    First and foremost, my favourite classical piece of all time is Tabula Rasa by Arvo Pärt. Here are some others. I know you said symphonic but here is a nice mix of different styles:

Tabula Rasa - Arvo Pärt (essential)
    Chopin - 24 Preludes
    Gyorgy Ligeti - Etudes pour Piano
    Aus den Sieben Tagen by Karlheinz Stockhausen (RIP)
    La Legende d'Er by Iannis Xenakis
    Madrigali Libri Quatro, Quinto & Sesto by Carlo Gesualdo (Seriously, there is a 5 second section of Merce Grido Piangendo by Gesualdo that may be the most perfect moment in music I have ever heard)
    Requiem by György Ligeti (This is a tad challenging for classical newbies probably but definitely worth a listen :))
    Rothko Chapel/Why Patterns? by Morton Feldman
    Krzysztof Penderecki - Sacred Choral Works (incredible)

I didn't mention any of the well known stuff like Mozart or Beethoven because you need to hear as much of that as possible anyway.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

Absolute masterpiece.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Yay! I really got into classical music in a big way recently. I have some recommendations.
    First and foremost, my favourite classical piece of all time is Tabula Rasa by Arvo Pärt. Here are some others. I know you said symphonic but here is a nice mix of different styles:

Chopin - 24 Preludes
    Gyorgy Ligeti - Etudes pour Piano
    Aus den Sieben Tagen by Karlheinz Stockhausen (RIP)
    La Legende d'Er by Iannis Xenakis
    Madrigali Libri Quatro, Quinto & Sesto by Carlo Gesualdo (Seriously, there is a 5 second section of Merce Grido Piangendo by Gesualdo that may be the most perfect moment in music I have ever heard)
    Requiem by György Ligeti (This is a tad challenging for classical newbies probably but definitely worth a listen :))
    Rothko Chapel/Why Patterns? by Morton Feldman
    Krzysztof Penderecki - Sacred Choral Works (incredible)

I didn't mention any of the well known stuff like Mozart or Beethoven because you need to hear as much of that as possible anyway.

Thanks. Now THAT'S helpful!
    Absolute masterpiece.
    I recall my first reaction to hearing it well. It went something like this:

Friend who introduced me to Tabula Rasa: Well?

Me: Fuck...

Friend: I know... I told you

Me: Seriously, fuck...

:D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Holst - The Planets
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    As a dancer, I was always partial to Tchaikovsky(Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, Swan Lake), and Chopin.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Yes. Chopin is also a good choice--Nocturnes might appeal to you. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I forgot (god knows how) to mention Virginal Co-Ordinates by Eyvind Kang. This is a pretty obscure album that not a lot of people seem to know about but it it, in my opinion, a masterpiece. Elements of it move away from "classical" towards world music (a term I hate) but it's all beautiful. I defy anyone to not find I am the Dead and Innocent Eye, Crystal See utterly wonderful.
  • Always liked Beethoven's odd numbered symphonies, plus his piano sonatas.

Found Bach and me didn't click at first and then one day it all just fell into place and I love much of old JS's stuff.

Recommend just grabbing bits here and there and see what works for you. I have never been able to get into Mozart and opera always sounded like a domestic dispute set to music, but others love it.

The other people who have posted on here have also given some excellent and varied selections. Like listening to any music just keep an open mind and pick what you like, because your taste is your taste and is equally as valid as anybody else's.
    Now I'm livin' out here on the beach,
    but those seagulls are still out of reach.
  • I don't think this is what you're looking for but I've been listening to Lisa Gerrard/ Dead Can Dance a lot lately. I never heard somebody sing like her before. It's really hard to describe or put a label this music. Check out any of these albums if ya want

Dead Can Dance - Wake
    Lisa Gerrard - Best of
    Lisa Gerrard/ Pieter Bourke - Duality

Actually check this song out on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xpkRj99FH0
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

http://www.myspace.com/maxrichtermusic
  • i can swallow some Vivaldi or some Handel, but that's about it.

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    i can swallow some Vivaldi or some Handel, but that's about it.

:eek:
    Vivaldi is like the Britney Spears of classical music ;)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :eek:
    Vivaldi is like the Britney Spears of classical music ;)

exactly.

he gets extra points for being a monk in my book though.
    i find inspiration in the story, as much as the music.

but it is definately the "pop" of classical.
    that was kind've my point.
    about all i can stomach.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    exactly.

he gets extra points for being a monk in my book though.
    i find inspiration in the story, as much as the music.

but it is definately the "pop" of classical.
    that was kind've my point.
    about all i can stomach.
    I used to hate classical music... but then I realised that it's only because most of the really well known popular stuff is done to death on TV, film etc. I've recently come to realise that the best classical music is better than anything else. The best of classical far outstrips the best of rock music. No, really :)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I used to hate classical music... but then I realised that it's only because most of the really well known popular stuff is done to death on TV, film etc. I've recently come to realise that the best classical music is better than anything else. The best of classical far outstrips the best of rock music. No, really :)

There's a lot of it that has been done to death though. And lot of the recordings out there are kind of second rate too...it's too bad because if someone picks up a great piece that's done in a dead way it's just as bad as a lousy piece...
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I saw a thing called Classical Star on TV a short while ago. A number of young musicians competed to get a classical music recording contract. One of the competitions was to play a classical routine to a bar full of students who would never otherwise hear it..

One girl (a pianist) introduced her favourite piece of music, said it was a very emotional piece of music, that it has special meaning to her at the moment, and that she wasn't going to tell anyone what it is.. and then she played it..

It was Chopin's 'Funeral March'. It had the entire bar (and me, almost) in tears. Fucking amazing. Everyone's heard this piece, but I'd never 'listened' to it. And shortly afterwards, someone on the board recommended me loads of stuff by Chopin. I haven't had time to look into it, but I need to..
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I saw a thing called Classical Star on TV a short while ago. A number of young musicians competed to get a classical music recording contract. One of the competitions was to play a classical routine to a bar full of students who would never otherwise hear it..

One girl (a pianist) introduced her favourite piece of music, said it was a very emotional piece of music, that it has special meaning to her at the moment, and that she wasn't going to tell anyone what it is.. and then she played it..

It was Chopin's 'Funeral March'. It had the entire bar (and me, almost) in tears. Fucking amazing. Everyone's heard this piece, but I'd never 'listened' to it. And shortly afterwards, someone on the board recommended me loads of stuff by Chopin. I haven't had time to look into it, but I need to..

Please, do yourself a favor and find recordings by Rubinstein, Perahia or Emanuel Ax. Don't just grab anything off the shelf. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    Please, do yourself a favor and find recordings by Rubinstein, Perahia or Emanuel Ax. Don't just grab anything off the shelf. :)

Are these different composers, or people who played Chopin?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison