MMJ- Starting Suggestions?

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I'm going to Bonnaroo this year and I see that My Morning Jacket will be playing the late night set this year. I don't think that I've ever heard anything from these guys before- but would love to get into them prior to 'Roo.

It seems like everyone on the board loves these guys, any suggestions on where to start? Which album?

Thanks!

They were at the VFC show that I went to in 04, but we didn't make it in time to see them play, oh well.
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Okonokos live is what got me hooked. It Still Moves or maybe Z would be good starting points
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    MrSmith wrote:
    Okonokos live is what got me hooked. It Still Moves or maybe Z would be good starting points
    Cool, thanks. How would you describe their music? Hard? Slow? Anything like PJ? What band would you say they most sound like?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Okonokos
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Being that Bonnaroo is a festival, I'd expect any act to favor their latest and most "popular" material (but surely they'll hit some songs from their upcoming album).

"Z" was their last studio album so start there and then go with "It Still Moves". You can't go wrong with their tight, effected recordings.

No wait..."Okonokos" gives you the big, live, all surrounding, kick ass, thunderous sound that you'll get at Bonnaroo and goodness from both albums so go there...

Damn. I'm so confused.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Okonokos, without a doubt, and then check out some SXSW clips to get a feel for the new stuff they'll be playing. Then, inevitably, complete the rest of your collection, and join the fold of fanatics.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Z got me hooked, but you definitely can't go wrong with Okonokos. As far as what they sound like, well I'm not sure I'm up to that one. Last time I tried to describe them to a friend I think I came up with southern, psychadelic, radiohead-esque music. Just take a listen, you won't be disappointed
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
    LukinFan wrote:
    Cool, thanks. How would you describe their music? Hard? Slow? Anything like PJ? What band would you say they most sound like?
    They couldn't sound any less like PJ if they tried. The only similarity is that all band members are male.

They've got a psychadelic southern rock thing going on.

And if you do go with Okonokos, go with the DVD. The visual as well as the audio will blow your fragile mind. In a great way, of course.

FaceSpace
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Okonokos is one of the greatest CD's in music history.... IMHO.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • dharma69 wrote:
    And if you do go with Okonokos, go with the DVD. The visual as well as the audio will blow your fragile mind. In a great way, of course.

Why settle for one or the other? Both is the way to go.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • so what is making people say they are playing the late night set? has the schedule been released?
    Why settle for one or the other? Both is the way to go.:D
    So, so true...been there done that ;).

FaceSpace
  • they have a lot of slow, southern sounding stuff. and a lot of big, festival rocking stuff too. Cant really think of who they sound like, but i wouldnt call them completely off the wall, either.
  • so what is making people say they are playing the late night set? has the schedule been released?

the late night thing was announce about a month ago, but no word on a full schedule yet.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    the late night thing was announce about a month ago, but no word on a full schedule yet.

oh cool....what exactly is the late night thing?
  • MrSmith wrote:
    they have a lot of slow, southern sounding stuff. and a lot of big, festival rocking stuff too. Cant really think of who they sound like, but i wouldnt call them completely off the wall, either.

Somewhere in between Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Radiohead and God.:p

Or maybe just a better, more adventurous Band of Horses.
    Ladies and gentlemen we have a weener!

FaceSpace
  • Somewhere in between Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Radiohead and God.:p

the who is definitely in there too
  • the who is definitely in there too

Indeed - which reminds me: if the OP has the Immagine in Cornice DVD, they should watch A Quick One a few times. Amazing performance.:)

very cool- thanks everyone!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• apparently i'm the only one, but if you want their BEST record, start with at dawn. it is near perfection. it does not give you an idea of what they sound like live, but gosh that is half the fun of this band. the first time i saw them they were opening for ben kweller and at dawn was their newest record. i'd never heard of them and their live show blew me away and then i bought the album and was like "this is the same band?" and then i continued to listen to the record and was completely floored. personally, i prefer at dawn and the tennessee fire to the newer records, but i love them all.

that said, if you are wanting an idea of how they're gonna sound at the show rather than actually trying to love the band, i'd say start with okonokos. mmj is a different entity live than on record and that cd/dvd will let you hear what will go down. damn just writing this makes me want to go listen to them. i love that fucking band!!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    All i gotta say is dont let that big long haired monster looking singer fool you. He has the singing voice of a puny mouse. somehow i mean that in a good way.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    I listened to okonokos last night and I'm really diggin the album- thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to their show now.

Anyone know what time their set will be at Roo? Which night?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

All i gotta say is dont let that big long haired monster looking singer fool you. He has the singing voice of a puny mouse. somehow i mean that in a good way.
    Plus James long since sheared those woolly mammoth locks of his almost a year ago. He looks quite human now.

FaceSpace
  • i would start with It Still Moves, great solid album,
    but as someone mentioned before, Okonokos has a great mixture of songs from all of their albums which is great to get a good feel for their sound, plus its live which is when theyre in the best element
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Listen To Dodante On Okonokos and you will truly understand why they are th greatest band out right now
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    You've already given Okonokos a listen, but I just wanted to throw a few comments in. All the albums are really different, you cant just give one to see what the band is like. I know everyone says that about all bands, even us with PJ, but MMJ it's so much harder.

How to describe them? They are their own. I had iTunes call one album once a 'Country Alt-Dream Pop' lol.

No one has mentioned the early recordings album. Also really awesome.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    Listen To Dodante On Okonokos and you will truly understand why they are th greatest band out right now

f'n A man. the whole album gives me a musical high or somethin.
  • right now i'm listening to Tennessee Fire.

'If All Else Fails' is my favorite song right now. I cant stop listening to it. 'its about twilight' is cool too.
  • Listen to It Still Moves......

on vinyl
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    The new MMJ album leaked. If you are trying to figure out if you like MMJ, don't listen to this to judge them, lol. There's some really cool 'normal' stuff on it, but a few things that are like, what the hell, but still really cool, it's hard to explain, haha.
    Happiness is only real when shared