What is the deal with Radiohead?

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    I like some of their stuff
    I am told you need to see them live to truly appreciate them.

I will let you know after Aug 9.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Went from being a worlds leading band to knocking wank records out with all kinds of electronica and no melody or what I would call song structure, and just basically wailing.

Have you listened to the records you're slating?

No melody?!?!

Try these tracks - There There, Reckoner, All I Need, Sail To The Moon, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Idioteque, I Might Be Wrong, House Of Cards....I could go on, but my point is, Radiohead do amazingly rich melodies in their work....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Radiohead were a great band, they lost the plot when they tried to fix something that wasnt broken, and went all experimental on us. In my view (which many strangely diaagree with) they made a total bollocks of it all. Went from being a worlds leading band to knocking wank records out with all kinds of electronica and no melody or what I would call song structure, and just basically wailing.

In the live arena this is all different though, they are pretty damn good there. Although they are well off their peak even with that compared to 1995-1997, anyone who saw them then and now must surely agree??

This is the worst assessment of their music I've ever heard. Their so called "experimental" stuff has amazing melody, structure, and hooks. Thats what makes it so great...yes it is somewhat challenging at first but underneath they are still songs that get stuck in your head.

If they continued to make the bends over and over again as you suggest, no one would be talking about them to this day.
  • No Radiohead thread is complete without this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNJU0bfxe4
  • Have you listened to the records you're slating?

No melody?!?!

Try these tracks - There There, Reckoner, All I Need, Sail To The Moon, Motion Picture Soundtrack, Idioteque, I Might Be Wrong, House Of Cards....I could go on, but my point is, Radiohead do amazingly rich melodies in their work....

Add in No Surpises. How can someone listen to No Surprises and say there isn't a melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqsyXdj_p_I
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • CrazyJDCrazyJD Posts: 103
    In anticipation of In Rainbows, I started listening to OK Computer again... didnt really appreciate it fully at the time it was released (more into peppy-alternative rock I guess). I now rotate OKC and InRainbows constantly.

They arent a band you put on at parties lol... and they do take a few listens to really differentiate between some songs at times... but once you listen a few times, wow... every time I listen I think I notice something different or great about a song. I can't begin to think how they put together the sound that they make and make it sound so clean.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KAPBhJfPA6Y

In Rainbows is truly enjoyable :) I used to be primarily a fan of their faster stuff... but its the slow stuff that I absolutely love now (although wasnt a fan of the electronic phase). Listen through OKC or Rainbows a few times as an album and then judge. I was lukewarm to some songs at first, yet not long after those same songs were the ones I wanted to hear most lol. Now I cant get enough of them.
    Halifax, Summer 2008... they return!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Add in No Surpises. How can someone listen to No Surprises and say there isn't a melody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqsyXdj_p_I

The great thing about music is its so subjective, but then again if you read my post, No surprises is clearly off OKC and clearly an awesome song with an awesome melody. I was referencing the stuff from the later records post OKC.

Maybe its just not my thing, Thom Yorke is so talented, I personally think they let us down by not adding to the OkC sound. Nobody on the right side of the moon will put OKC in the same backet as Kid A. No one. Of course no one should ever churn out the same music year after year, but there is experiementing and then there is changing to be different.

Take Pearl jam, I dont think they have ever altered their sound that much, ok Vitalogy and No Code are slightly different, and they have tinkered with the production on some of the records etc but they have retained their sound without treading water if thats how we put it. But they havent gone off ther wall nuts with it like Kid A did to me.

I mean this might not be the best thing to say, but Green day are alive and well after doing the same three cords for near on 20 years. U2 are hardly breaking new ground and remain at the forefront of rock......But radiohead - well like I say maybe its just me.

we all have opinions I guess, I do love Radiohead dont get me wrong, and would totally agree with the person who lauds Fake Plastic Trees with compliment, that is indeed a very very special tune
    oh and I do understand that Staunch Radiohead fans will always hammer my opinion on this, thats a given, like I would with anyone slagging PJ off so ignorantly.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    Take Pearl jam, I dont think they have ever altered their sound that much, ok Vitalogy and No Code are slightly different, and they have tinkered with the production on some of the records etc but they have retained their sound without treading water if thats how we put it. But they havent gone off ther wall nuts with it like Kid A did to me.

Radiohead has done nothing to "alter" their formula except a few tracks on Kid A/Amnesiac. Beyond that, they've progressed naturally, just like Pearl Jam. Can you say Bugs? Hey Foxymophandle? Aye Davanita? I'm Open?

Kid A/Amnesiac was a deliberate detour. The band was falling apart at the seams and it was a miracle those albums came out at all. Things got back on track for Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows, which pick up where OK Computer left off. If you can't see it, then compare Vitalogy to Avocado. They have similarities but the music has also noticeably changed. In Rainbows is not radically different from Ok Computer. It's a continuation. So I don't really get where you're coming from, or where anybody is coming from who says Radiohead have "gone crazy", there's no melody or structure, etc...it couldn't be further from the truth.
  • I absolutely hated Kid A when I first bought it. I mean REALLY hate it. After a few listens however, I totally understood the direction the band had taken and appreciated the intricacies of the music. In fact I was astounded and it has become one of my favourite Radiohead albums, if not my favourite.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    I mean this might not be the best thing to say, but Green day are alive and well after doing the same three cords for near on 20 years. U2 are hardly breaking new ground and remain at the forefront of rock......But radiohead - well like I say maybe its just me.

So you'd rather listen to a band who is 'hardly breaking new ground'?

U2 and Green Day (and, I would add Oasis) are still ridiculously famous for doing the same three chords over and over again. But they are also probably the most mediocre bands in the world... except for RHCP, who are also still 'famous' for not re-inventing the wheel.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    no not rather listen to at all, I was highlighting these bands as being bands who have made albums that i have still enjoyed even though they havent started to totally reinvent themselves...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Tone wrote:
    I like Radiohead but, as a huge Muse fan, I'm really over them being compared to Radiohead... to me, they're totally different.

This...

and I prefer Muse by far. Radiohead is just one of those bands that I know is good musically and I kinda like, but somethings missing for me and I don;t see why they are considered as great as they are. Still, music is all about individual taste so more power to the Radiohead fans!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I get them, but they suck; worst voice ever; whiny and pretentious music
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Radiohead were a great band, they lost the plot when they tried to fix something that wasnt broken, and went all experimental on us. In my view (which many strangely diaagree with) they made a total bollocks of it all. Went from being a worlds leading band to knocking wank records out with all kinds of electronica and no melody or what I would call song structure, and just basically wailing.

In the live arena this is all different though, they are pretty damn good there. Although they are well off their peak even with that compared to 1995-1997, anyone who saw them then and now must surely agree??
    You mean if they just lazily wrote the same music over and over then you'd like them? :D
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    No Radiohead thread is complete without this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNJU0bfxe4
    Haha! Fins, that's one of the funniest videos on youtube. No matter how many times I watch it I still can't help laughing.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    ... except for RHCP, who are also still 'famous' for not re-inventing the wheel.

i don't think this is completely fair. listen to uplift mofo party plan and then stadium arcadium and see if you don't think that maybe they really are reinventing something...
  • So you'd rather listen to a band who is 'hardly breaking new ground'?

U2 and Green Day (and, I would add Oasis) are still ridiculously famous for doing the same three chords over and over again. But they are also probably the most mediocre bands in the world... except for RHCP, who are also still 'famous' for not re-inventing the wheel.

Achtung Baby and Pop are more diverse then anything PJ has done. You can not like U2 but not being diverse is not there biggest issue.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    I don't get it. I respect Radiohead as musicians and as innovators and anything else their fans always say, but I just don't see how they are that good. I like some of their shit, and I think they have a unique sound (Kinda). However, being different and good are not mutually exclusive.

Discuss.

their last album was pretty good. but aside from ok computer, i have their best of comp and it's all i need. though i wish it had 'blow out' rather than the 2 shitty songs it took from pablo.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Haha! Fins, that's one of the funniest videos on youtube. No matter how many times I watch it I still can't help laughing.
    That pedal pressing bit is hilarious.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I get them, but they suck; worst voice ever; whiny and pretentious music

Yeah they need to be more macho and dumb.
  • their music sucks. there is nothing even resembling a human emotion in any album since ok computer.
    I like bands.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    They just have their own thing going on.....

OK Computer and In Rainbows are awesome albums.....

Throw "The Bends" in there and you have three awesome albums.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    Igottago wrote:
    Yeah they need to be more macho and dumb.

no, they need to be more spontaneous and human and less robotic and lifeless.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    I don't get it. I respect Radiohead as musicians and as innovators and anything else their fans always say, but I just don't see how they are that good. I like some of their shit, and I think they have a unique sound (Kinda). However, being different and good are not mutually exclusive.

Discuss.

I will Discuss that you don't get it and others do and that doesn't make you or them any better or worse for it.

Personally, I believe that Radiohead (and namely Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood) are fucking artistic and musical geniuses but I'm not going to support your passion for a fucking argument if that's what you are after.
    the Minions
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I love them, although I can see what you mean and do think they're overhyped. One of my favorite bands, just not nearly as good as some people make them out to be. I do get annoyed with a lot of their fans, to me a lot of them come off as snobbish like "Oh, you like Pearl Jam? Well I listen to Radiohead."
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    their music sucks. there is nothing even resembling a human emotion in any album since ok computer.

hmmm then imo, youre not listening hard enough.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hmmm then imo, youre not listening hard enough.

I listened to in rainbows once then used the cd as a drink coaster where it could actually be useful by protecting my coffee table.
    I like bands.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I listened to in rainbows once then used the cd as a drink coaster where it could actually be useful by protecting my coffee table.

oh so witty. :rolleyes: :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I never really cared for them until In Rainbows came out. I remember, I bought The Bends and OK Computer and listened to them casually but nothing really special. Then got Kid A and hated it.

To be honest, it was just something new. Then after listening to some techno, I really enjoyed Kid A and then adapted to their style. It's one of those, you either love it or hate type of music. Honestly, I fucking love it. Radiohead rocks!

Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer and Amnesiac are great albums i listen to regularly besides PJ. I now think that The Bends is generic alternative rock of the 90's so that album doesn't really do anything to me that much anymore. But the 4 albums I mentioned are incredible.

So they've been around for nearly 15+ years now and only last year when I really started to love their music. It takes time. So hopefully, some of you might like it down the road. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009