Why John Mayer needs more recognition from true music fans.

2»

Comments

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    moster78 wrote:
    I was at the Jones Beach show tonight, and despite the rain, it was amazing. As always.

Hey Chimpat, were you one of his friends that he brought on stage for Waiting On The World To Change?

I was man, I was the guy on the end (far right). Pretty special night, a total blast for us.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    chimpat wrote:
    I was man, I was the guy on the end (far right). Pretty special night, a total blast for us.

Yeah, it was a pretty amazing show, despite the rain. The guy never disappoints or puts on a bad show, in my opinion.

It was really cool that he brought out his brother, and in his words, you "assholes" at the end. Glad you enjoyed it!
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    agree.

he is amazing.

his problem is he keeps switching back to pop.
    but whatever. gotta respect him for doing what he wants.

saw him live last year. had a blast!

i'd wish he'd take all the blues stuff and put it on cds without the pop.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    Saw John Mayer Jul 3rd in St. Louis. One of the best shows I have ever been to.
    Great set, great show. This guy is going places and he understands the importance of great blues. Clapton sees it, now if only his fan base can become more true music fans and less teens and soccer moms I believe he will become a legend.
    If someone is true to music, they'll have true music fans.

Mayer's fanbase is filled w/ exaaactly what he deserves imo.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Saw John Mayer Jul 3rd in St. Louis. One of the best shows I have ever been to.
    Great set, great show. This guy is going places and he understands the importance of great blues. Clapton sees it, now if only his fan base can become more true music fans and less teens and soccer moms I believe he will become a legend.

i ain't no teen and sure as shit ain't no soccer mom either and i ADORE him! first heard him on clapton's crossroads DVD and instant love! what an utterly fantastic musician. beautiful voice, but even more so....what SOULFUL guitar work! truly! i think he really will go far musically.

i most definitely want to catch him live soon! right now, just got a copy of his live cd where the light is...own 2 albums...enjoy the crossroads performance and yea, have his ray of light (i think that's what it's called? or maybe also called where the light is?) :o on our netflix queue, eagerly awaiting it's arrival. :) apparently there is more i need to look into/get? after reading this thread...haha. i think sometimes it's a GOOD thing i don't subscribe to cable and get all the videos and such to jade me....:p

moster78 wrote:
    I was at the Jones Beach show tonight, and despite the rain, it was amazing. As always.

Hey Chimpat, were you one of his friends that he brought on stage for Waiting On The World To Change?

:eek:

DAMN! i just missed him at jones beach?! fuck. can't believe it. bummer. my husband and i were *just* talking about getting to see him live, needing to look into if he'd be around soon, etc. what a bummer!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    intodeep wrote:
    His problem is he wrote that aweful song with those aweful lyrics your body is a wonderland.

It is almost like he wrote that song to get popular but since no one knew him before that real music fans wrote him off as a poppy joke and don't want to give him a chance because that song burned their earlobes.

In a sense he is getting what he wanted.

just an observation
    I have a good friend who is female and 22 and likes him a lot. She bought Mayer's new dvd yesterday and stopped by the house with it. I told her exactly what is quoted above in that Wonderland totally turned me off and I haven't given him a chance since.
    I had, however, heard good things about the John Mayer Trio stuff and as we watched the dvd, which includes a set by the trio, I realized that perhaps I should give him a try....well, maybe I will wait until he does a good and proper album with the trio. Thing is, I loved that stuff on the dvd and she really couldn't believe he was doing that kind of thing. He really is a talented guitar player
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    sgossard3 wrote:
    continuum was a decent album but he has so much potential that its REALLY upsetting... same goes for half of jonny langs music

they both have the potential to be SRV caliber musicians...
    I agree on all counts. Jonny Lang really did veer off in the wrong direction early on in his career
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    chimpat wrote:
    This has been a cool tour because (much like PJ), he's not promoting an album, so he's been able to incorporate some cool covers, rarities, etc.

John's always been talented (I've been friends with him since we were 12 years old), but I think he's really matured musically and lyrically. I've heard a few new cuts for his new album '09 and they're pretty heavy.

I'm excited to finally see some shows though....I'll be at Jones Beach, Philly (Camden) and PNC in the next week.
    the next time you see john can you please tell him to release an ENTIRE studio album of just blues! drop the record company if theyre the reason he hasnt! or does he really enjoy the poppier stuff? just want the inside scoop... if i could play the blues like him i would play nothing else! then again, when youre dating girls like jessica simpson and jennifer aniston i guess you have no blues :D

seriously though he's developed enough of a fanbase to do his own thing now... i think he did that with his JMT tour... i just want him to stick with it... if he loses his teen girl fanbase then so be it

oh and i just saw a clip on VH1 of the bear suit thing he did on his reality show... and that shit is funny! i bet hes a cool guy in real life
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Hey, there was a time where pearl jam’s majority of fans were teens. :p

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Hey, there was a time where pearl jam’s majority of fans were teens. :p
    but that was when teens were angry and anti-authoritarian... todays teens :rolleyes: not so much
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    sgossard3 wrote:
    but that was when teens were angry and antiautoritarian... todays teens :rolleyes: not so much

hehehe

whines:
    'where's my cell phone?'
    'daddy, buy me an iPod!'

"now, now, now! wait? never heard of waiting"

• hehehe

whines:
    'where's my cell phone?'
    'daddy, buy me an iPod!'

"now, now, now! wait? never heard of waiting"

Except for the world to change.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.