Why John Mayer needs more recognition from true music fans.

ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Saw John Mayer Jul 3rd in St. Louis. One of the best shows I have ever been to.
Great set, great show. This guy is going places and he understands the importance of great blues. Clapton sees it, now if only his fan base can become more true music fans and less teens and soccer moms I believe he will become a legend.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like him. I don't own any of his work though I have been considering buying some. I love his voice and think he's pretty talented. I guess people see him as some pretty pop star...but I think he has a lot more to offer than what most give him credit for.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • This was posted a while ago in here. If you don't like John Mayer by the end of this, there's no hope for you. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/611387370c
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    His problem is he wrote that aweful song with those aweful lyrics your body is a wonderland.

It is almost like he wrote that song to get popular but since no one knew him before that real music fans wrote him off as a poppy joke and don't want to give him a chance because that song burned their earlobes.

In a sense he is getting what he wanted.

just an observation
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Purple PuppyPurple Puppy Posts: 149
    I cna't stand his songs. Anyone who needs recognition is talentless.
    Signed it, grind it.
    Corroding and foreboding.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    he is amazing. i would recommend picking up his new live album "where the light is." he does an acoustic set, a set with the trio (they do blues songs), and then with his normal band. if you listen to that, you get a great grasp of what a great guitarist he is and if he keeps heading in the right direction, i think he could wind up legendary. the only thing is, if he keeps doing more blusey stuff, hes gunna lose the teeny bopper fans (which is a good thing). check out that album before you judge him!
  • intodeep wrote:
    His problem is he wrote that aweful song with those aweful lyrics your body is a wonderland.

It is almost like he wrote that song to get popular but since no one knew him before that real music fans wrote him off as a poppy joke and don't want to give him a chance because that song burned their earlobes.

In a sense he is getting what he wanted.

just an observation

he has said in a couple interviews that he started pop so that he could get his blues stuff out there...

and as far as Where The Light Is...I was at that show and it was fucking awesome...
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    "Your Body Is A Wonderland" still makes me giggle... I think he's a really talented musician. His song Why Georgia off of Room For Squares is one of my all time favorites.

It's his personal life that makes me cringe a little... I know that it's none of my business, but... all those starlets he dates makes me question his taste.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    The dude is talented, no question. I *want* to like him. But, as a couple others have said, he puts out mostly crap (the John Mayer Trio album excluded). He is definitely capable of producing great fucking music, but he relegates himself to releasing easily accessible, AOR crap that anyone else with an eighth of the talent he has can put out.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    yeah he can play the blues really well but at the end of the day, his voice sounds like Dave Matthews with Downs Syndrome.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    This has been a cool tour because (much like PJ), he's not promoting an album, so he's been able to incorporate some cool covers, rarities, etc.

John's always been talented (I've been friends with him since we were 12 years old), but I think he's really matured musically and lyrically. I've heard a few new cuts for his new album '09 and they're pretty heavy.

I'm excited to finally see some shows though....I'll be at Jones Beach, Philly (Camden) and PNC in the next week.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    John Mayer kicks ass...I have seen him live and his palying is flawless.. Continuum is a very very good album...I am gonna see him in Aug. again and can't wait...My lady loves him as well...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    This was posted a while ago in here. If you don't like John Mayer by the end of this, there's no hope for you. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/611387370c

Great Vid...!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    i got drug to a few shows in the past, he's pretty good live.. did a radiohead cover... can't stand some of his hit songs though... they're just radio fodder to me, but his deep cuts are actually pretty good.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    he is amazing. i would recommend picking up his new live album "where the light is." he does an acoustic set, a set with the trio (they do blues songs), and then with his normal band. if you listen to that, you get a great grasp of what a great guitarist he is and if he keeps heading in the right direction, i think he could wind up legendary. the only thing is, if he keeps doing more blusey stuff, hes gunna lose the teeny bopper fans (which is a good thing). check out that album before you judge him!
    Ya, it's a great album. The dude i s definitley talented, and a good songwriter!

I'll be interested to see what he does in the next 5 years.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • John Mayer's songwriting sucks. Kat & Sea may disagree, although pretty LAME for either one of them to delete my previous post stating the same thing just because of that.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Sounds like a good blues guitar player, which is great. But his voice. Man I can't get past it. And his first 'video' was so candyass that I can't get past that either...he does get props for bagging Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston though.
    I love to turn you on
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's his own fault for recording a couple of absolutely dreadful radio friendly pop albums.

He's got my respect. He had it as a solo guitarist. Especially the early acoustic stuff. He's a tremendous player with great chops.... and he's a pretty good song writer who has written some great ones and some really really lame ones... "Your Body is a Wonderland" and a few of the other hits that helped him afford to make the music he is making today deserve some jabs and pokes.

he did what he had to to do make it in the biz. I can respect that. Just don't ask me to like Room for Squares.
    Try and Continuum are outstanding.

If I'm him, I don't give a shit, I laugh all the way to the bank. He's playing with freaking Clapton and BB King and all those guys. He's got his own guitar model already from Fender. He's blowing up. Now hopefully he'll refrain from making really bad pop songs unless he records them on acoustic with no pop drums. Then it's just a sappy love song.

I think that's my major issue. I really hate pop drums and compression.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Absolutely he is a great player, i just ignore the elevator music he puts out. 'Try' is a damn good blues rock album, it really show cases his talent.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Saw him supporting Clapton at Hyde Park the other week. He was pretty good, just a shame some of the songs sounded limp.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    last night's show was incredible

sold out, 18,000 geetar fans mostly, and some hot young chicks
  • Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    john mayer doesnt seem too worried about getting recognition from true music fans... if he were he would make more music like his JMT stuff and not do his shitty pop stuff... continuum was a decent album but he has so much potential that its REALLY upsetting... same goes for half of jonny langs music

they both have the potential to be SRV caliber musicians...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • John Mayer is a pantywaste.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I'm sure he's a great talent, but i just don't want to listen to him. I'm just constantly reminded of 'Your Body is a Wonderland' when I hear him. And that's a fucking HORRIBLE song.
  • Can't talk - got to go to work.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    John Mayer is a pantywaste.

the term is "pantywaist" :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • zappa99zappa99 Posts: 285
    He is a great guitar player, I saw him twice about 7 years ago, and it was great. But his top 40 rescent LPs are horrible and I'm sure that is what I would here now if I saw him.
  • julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    chimpat wrote:
    This has been a cool tour because (much like PJ), he's not promoting an album, so he's been able to incorporate some cool covers, rarities, etc.

John's always been talented (I've been friends with him since we were 12 years old), but I think he's really matured musically and lyrically. I've heard a few new cuts for his new album '09 and they're pretty heavy.

I'm excited to finally see some shows though....I'll be at Jones Beach, Philly (Camden) and PNC in the next week.

Hope you have fun! I haven't really been following this tour because my work computer is closed to the Internet, and I just hop on my laptop now and then to check email. My friend and I have great seats for the Maryland show on Sunday, so something to look forward to at least.

We'll have to take the show as consolation for the bloodbath we both took today on 10C trying to get tix to the Ed solo shows in DC. I never want to see the dreaded yellow "Temporarily Out of Stock" message again in my life. And the sprinkling of "Buys" that never amount to anything just doubles the suck. I never thought I would say this, but relatively speaking, an L83 pre-sale doesn't actually suck.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    chimpat wrote:

I was at the Jones Beach show tonight, and despite the rain, it was amazing. As always.

Hey Chimpat, were you one of his friends that he brought on stage for Waiting On The World To Change?