New Idlewild Album...

2»

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    No matter what the guy says, Idlewild kick some serious ass
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Soupy wrote:
    Idlewild are pretty crappy really (the remote part is ok I suppose in a REM tribute type of way). The last couple of albums have been completely bland they are even abit of a joke here in Scotland now where they are regarded with the same level of mocking Nickelback get in Canada/The States.

Where'd you get that from?

I know a few folk who seem to have taken it personally that Idlewild dared change their sound because they seem to feel like the band owe them something but they certainly don't regard them as a joke of the Nickelback variety.

The last time I attended a Idlewild show in Scotland they were met with the usual rapturous crowd as ever
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

The last time I attended a Idlewild show in Scotland they were met with the usual rapturous crowd as ever

I agree with you but I'm sure Nickelback meets with a rapturous crowd when they perform also.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    rrivers wrote:
    I agree with you but I'm sure Nickelback meets with a rapturous crowd when they perform also.

Rapturous crowds who like to throw rocks at them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPUoPtGbDuY
    Rapturous crowds who like to throw rocks at them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPUoPtGbDuY

I stand corrected!
  • What do these guys sound like? Not necessarily a genre, just some descriptions would be cool.
    What do these guys sound like? Not necessarily a genre, just some descriptions would be cool.

This is the song that got me excited about them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ID4eDiYbadA
  • i fucking love idlewild......saw em for the first time the other week n they blew me away....

'once in your life' on the new album has already become one of my favourite songs of all time...it just blew me away....

my other fave songs are:

out of routine
    tell me ten words
    blame it on the obvious ways
    modern way of letting go
    welcome home
    the weight of years
    im happy to be here tonight
    everything as it moves.
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • Its nice to see some people finally backing me on this band. Mantis1604, you have to check these guys out. I suggest going to itunes and downloading the following 3 songs.
    1. Blame it on Obvious Ways
    2. The Remote Part
    3. Live in a Hiding Place

There so many more I could list, but I think once you heard these you would probably just want to buy their albums. In my opinion, they are 2nd only to Pearl Jam. Please check them out. OH, and by the way, there is no way in hell that they should even be mentioned with Nickleback.... are you kidding me. That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. As "aall those yesterdays said" they have some of the most amazing riffs I have ever heard, especially the beginning of blame it on obvious ways. Oh, and I know what you mean Quixoticelixer, once in your life is freaking awesome. And that solo.... I love it. Lets try to keep this thread alive and get people talking about their new album and previous albums. I remember Mike talking after one of the shows in 2003 saying how awesome it was to have these guys on tour with them. He was really impressed with their albums.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Where'd you get that from?

I live in Scotland.

Ok, Nickelback is an unfair comparison as Nickelback are a band that sell alot of records that are generally hated by anyone who knows something about music. Idlewild are a band hardly anyone cares about anymore, check out the album sales - The Remote Part went into the UK album chart at number 3 and stayed in the top 40 for 23 weeks. The latest album when in at 36 and dropped out in the second week, and it also like the previous album been hit by a bunch of poor reviews.

Now you can argue that new PJ albums don't sell as well as there older material thesedays either, but they are still a very important band and sell out the biggest venues worldwide. Idlewild recently failed to sellout the Glasgow Barrowlands.

A 'joke' again maybe alittle harsh, but they are generally considered a band who had a huge push and gained momentum with 'The Remote Part' but couldn't follow it improve on it and people just lost interest.

Hey if you enjoy them fair enough, I honestly don't think they'll be around much longer though, but I personally think Roddy Woombles solo album released last year was actually far better than any Idlewild album to date and would much prefer another solo album (or career) ahead of another by the number Idlewild album.

If you want a band simular in sound to PJ i'd take the worst Tragically Hip album (Music@Work or Henhouse) over the best Idlewild album, chack them out.
  • Ok, first off, their new album has been getting good reviews from what I have heard and scene. Yeah, their last album had some mixed reviews, but I personally loved it. Its nice to see a band change their sound especially if their expected to come out with the same stuff because the remote part did so well. I like how they experiment. There new album in my opinion is just straight forward rock just like 100 broken windows. With all of that being said about them, doesn't this sound a little bit like another band we know that did the same thing on their 4th album, No Code. Yeah, Idlewild don't make albums to please the masses, and in interviews, roddy woomble has even said that. This is what Mike Mccready said as well after the dallas show in 2003 and that was one of the reasons he loved them. I would just like for some people who haven't heard their stuff to give it a try and reply back on this thread.
    Soupy wrote:
    I live in Scotland.

Ok, Nickelback is an unfair comparison as Nickelback are a band that sell alot of records that are generally hated by anyone who knows something about music. Idlewild are a band hardly anyone cares about anymore, check out the album sales - The Remote Part went into the UK album chart at number 3 and stayed in the top 40 for 23 weeks. The latest album when in at 36 and dropped out in the second week, and it also like the previous album been hit by a bunch of poor reviews.

Now you can argue that new PJ albums don't sell as well as there older material thesedays either, but they are still a very important band and sell out the biggest venues worldwide. Idlewild recently failed to sellout the Glasgow Barrowlands.

A 'joke' again maybe alittle harsh, but they are generally considered a band who had a huge push and gained momentum with 'The Remote Part' but couldn't follow it improve on it and people just lost interest.

Hey if you enjoy them fair enough, I honestly don't think they'll be around much longer though, but I personally think Roddy Woombles solo album released last year was actually far better than any Idlewild album to date and would much prefer another solo album (or career) ahead of another by the number Idlewild album.

If you want a band simular in sound to PJ i'd take the worst Tragically Hip album (Music@Work or Henhouse) over the best Idlewild album, chack them out.

How much do you think of an impact having "If It Takes You Home", which is MUCH more rocking than anything from the previous two albums, as the first single. I think w/ "No Emotion" being released as the new single and the thought of it turning into a huge hit could boost the new album over there.

My favorite Idlewild tunes...hmmmm
    Let Me Sleep (Next To The Mirror)
    When I Argue I See Shapes
    American English
    Modern Way of Letting Go
    Blame It On Your Obvious Ways
    Everything (As It Moves)
    El Captain
    No Emotion
    In Competition For The Worst Time

I'll just stop there
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Ok, first off, their new album has been getting good reviews from what I have heard and scene.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termType=all&ts=idlewild&ty=0

The new album actually is just reviewed worse than the last one. The Remote part is 20 points better. Metacritic collects all the important reviews and works out the average, you can click on the album name on that link to see a more detailed breakout. Not that i'm a huge fans of critics and reviews, i'm just making a point.
    How much do you think of an impact having "If It Takes You Home", which is MUCH more rocking than anything from the previous two albums, as the first single. I think w/ "No Emotion" being released as the new single and the thought of it turning into a huge hit could boost the new album over there.

My favorite Idlewild tunes...hmmmm
    Let Me Sleep (Next To The Mirror)
    When I Argue I See Shapes
    American English
    Modern Way of Letting Go
    Blame It On Your Obvious Ways
    Everything (As It Moves)
    El Captain
    No Emotion
    In Competition For The Worst Time

I'll just stop there

El Capitain is a great song.
  • rrivers wrote:
    This is the song that got me excited about them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ID4eDiYbadA
    Decent song, sounds A LOT like REM. I liked it better when I just listened to the music and turned off the video. Music videos suck.
    Glad you like it.

I think they rock more than REM but to each his own.
  • I'm happy to be here tonignt.... listen to that song.... enough said.
  • In my opinion.....bare in mind ive been listening to pearl jam for 4 years and idlewild 6 months............if i had to choose between them...id say idlewild...i really think idlewild are something special....i dunno y......ther music is just...perfect
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • 4 pages on Idlewild. Fantastic! Even though some is negative, just peoples opinion. I couldn't care less what people think of them, what critics write, how many records they sell. It's music, it's art, it's all about what I get out of it when I listen to it. And they are fantastic to me!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Soupy wrote:

Thanks for the tip off! :)

I've listened to quite a bit of thier stuff online today and I think I've just found another band to get really excited about :D

Thanks again :):)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Idlewild is special, I have to agree. Their songs just pull you in and make you want to hear more. I hate the REM comparison though. He sounds nothing like stipe in my opinion, and they rock a lot harder than them as well. Let me put it to you this way....... Big acts such as pearl jam, coldplay, and others have requested Idlewild tour with them. This is saying a lot. They just need more push from their label. Also, they are really good at making some epic songs in my opinion. Honestly, have you seen them perform the remote part in concert..... its freaking awesome. I sure hope they come to the united states.
    Idlewild is special, I have to agree. Their songs just pull you in and make you want to hear more. I hate the REM comparison though. He sounds nothing like stipe in my opinion, and they rock a lot harder than them as well. Let me put it to you this way....... Big acts such as pearl jam, coldplay, and others have requested Idlewild tour with them. This is saying a lot. They just need more push from their label. Also, they are really good at making some epic songs in my opinion. Honestly, have you seen them perform the remote part in concert..... its freaking awesome. I sure hope they come to the united states.

I know why people compare them to R.E.M. - there is a definite influence there......it's not a bad thing.....When you listen to the early Idlewild stuff you can hear just as much of a Sonic Youth influence as R.E.M.

They've played with R.E.M. over here a bunch of times too. They were third on the bill at R.E.M.'s show in Cardiff in 2005 and Mike Mills played piano with Idlewild covering Sweet Home Alabama....that was pretty cool :)

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • I heard about that show in 2005. I just hope Idlewild come to the United States in support of their new album.
  • bump!
  • I heard about that show in 2005. I just hope Idlewild come to the United States in support of their new album.

I agree whether they open for someone, or they play smaller shows, it don't matter, just come on over!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    This album kicks ass! Love it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Yeah, this album does rock. In competition is my favorite song right now from make another world