New Idlewild Album...

musicfanpearlmusicfanpearl Posts: 210
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Hey guys, just thought I would let you know Idlewild have a new album out entitled Make Another World. I know some of you are fans after having seen them tour with Pearl Jam. I have the new album and it is awesome. In my opinion their new cd is almost as good as the remote part. Has anyone else bought the new cd, if so, what are your thoughts. For those of you who aren't familiar with Idlewild, please check them out. They just changed record companies like Pearl Jam, and in my opinion are the 2nd best band behind pearl jam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Come on, surely we have some idlewild fans on the board. Eddie and Stone were huge fans of them while on tour with them, as was Mike. Show some love for the band.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like them, but don't know about all their stuff. i will check it out ;]
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    New album is excellent....best record I've heard so far this year, been playing it a lot for the last month or so.

It's a definite return to form for them, getting back to what they do best, tuneful rocking out :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Yeah it's a fantastic record, easily the album I've listened to the most so far this year.
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    its a great album, by a great band, would love to see them support pj at wembly,
  • Yeah, its sad that most people aren't into this band. I have met quite a few pearl jam fans though who love them as much as I do. In my opinion, it is the best album i have heard this year. I love "in competition for the worst time" , no emotion is as catchy as it gets, and once in your life has a freaking great guitar solo. Do you guys think there new album is better than the remote part?
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I did like Idlewild quite a bit when they opened for PJ and bought their album. Haven't listened for a while so I'm glad you reminded me. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Flat out killer. This album is just plain awesome. I own all the major release by Idlewild, and have never ever been dissapointed.

They need to come back and open for the boys again!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I think it is there best album. All Those Yesterdays, what do you think about the song If It takes You home? I wish these guys would come to the us. I am just afraid their new label will not promote them well enough. Also, for anyone who has not heard anything by this band before, go download the song the remote part...... In my opinion, this is one of the greatest songs ever written. What does everyone else think, and name some of your favorite songs by this band. Show the love.
    I'm not sure it's better than The Remote Part or 100 Broken Windows but it's a definitely better than Warning/Promises.

A lot of their early fans in the UK have abandoned them now as they feel that they "sold out" and lost their edge after 100 Broken Windows. I'm not one of those, I think they just like to try different stuff and sometimes it works, like on Remote Part and sometimes it doesn't, like on Warnings/Promises. It's 10 years since Captain came out now...you wouldn't really expect them to sound like that anymore.

100 Broken Windows is my favourite Idlewild record. It's got some great songs on there.....'I Don't Have The Map', 'Let Me Sleep' and 'Actually It's Darkness' to name a few.

I think they're the closest the U.K. has ever come to having an equivalent of Pearl Jam....an honest rock band, not afraid to try new stuff and never in keeping with current trends. They just do their own thing and most of the time, it's pretty damn good
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Ever since I saw them in 2003 I have been sold on them as an amazing band. There is supposed to be a DVD in the works. I wonder if it will be coded to play in North America.

The new album is fantastic. I think if "No Emotion" were released here it could do very well. Then again I said the same thing about "American English" and "Love Steals Us From Lonliness"
  • I think it is there best album. All Those Yesterdays, what do you think about the song If It takes You home? I wish these guys would come to the us. I am just afraid their new label will not promote them well enough. Also, for anyone who has not heard anything by this band before, go download the song the remote part...... In my opinion, this is one of the greatest songs ever written. What does everyone else think, and name some of your favorite songs by this band. Show the love.

Reminds me of songs off of "Hope is Important"

I'm a huge fan of "Close the Door", "When I Argue I See Shapes", "Blame It On Obvious Ways", to name a few. But I have never heard anything bad out of them.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Yeah, I also saw that there is a dvd coming out pretty soon. I wish they would release no emotion here, because I think it could be hugh. Also, blame it on obvious ways is a killer song. I actually liked Warnings/Promises, but I guess its not for everyone.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Fave songs, When I argue I see Shapes, These Wooden Ideas, Love Steals Us From Loneliness and Actually It's Darkness.
    Idlewild Kicks arse.:):D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • They were good at Cambridge Folk Festival, in '05.
  • Yeah, I also saw that there is a dvd coming out pretty soon. I wish they would release no emotion here, because I think it could be hugh. Also, blame it on obvious ways is a killer song. I actually liked Warnings/Promises, but I guess its not for everyone.

Hope is important is a killer album for sure.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I really enjoy Warnings/Promises too, much more than The Remote Part.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Meh another letdown. They could and should have followed The Remote Part with another great album instead they released the half hearted 'Promises/Warnings' now they release another less than stellar album. I reckon they'll call it a day soon as Roddy Woomble solo album was far superior to either of Idlewilds last 2 efforts.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    100 Broken Windows is a fantastic album. I need to get their other stuff.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    100 Broken Windows is a fantastic album. I need to get their other stuff.

In that case I'd go with "Remote Part" next, then either make the dive into either the early direction "Hope Is Important" or the new direction "Warnings/ Promises". These are complete opposites of each other.

• Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    I got into these guys after seeing them on Letterman perform "Discouraged". 100 Broken Windows was a perfect album, it still aggressively meshed their punk roots with a professional melodic tinge... But since then..... Hmmmm...... that one song about holding the world in your arms was alright, but that is about it. Still- to this day "Mistake Pagaent", "No idea Track", "Roseability", and "Discouraged" rank as some of my favorite songs ever.
    Yeah Mistake pageant is one of my favorite songs too.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I have to agree with most of you...the last two albums are dissapointing...
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • stickfig13 wrote:
    I have to agree with most of you...the last two albums are dissapointing...

I have to totally dissagree. Warning/ Promises was utterly amazing. It's taking a few listens, but the latest is really warming up too.

• I agree, Warnings/Promises was a great album and a great follow up to the remote part. It had a nice mix of hard rockers and some great slower songs. I especially loved the song welcome home, and that solo in it rocks. Also, listen to blame it on obvious ways and tell me you are not hooked. I just get frustrated that a great band like this that pearl jam toured with can't get a little more support from the board. I expected more than 20 responses to be honest with you. Their new album needs to be heard. There is so much crap out there that gets heard all the time, and then this band puts out a great album but their new record label just doesn't have the money to support them. Please go to their website and take a look at the new album. You won't be dissapointed. I better get some responses to this as well.
  • I agree, Warnings/Promises was a great album and a great follow up to the remote part. It had a nice mix of hard rockers and some great slower songs. I especially loved the song welcome home, and that solo in it rocks. Also, listen to blame it on obvious ways and tell me you are not hooked. I just get frustrated that a great band like this that pearl jam toured with can't get a little more support from the board. I expected more than 20 responses to be honest with you. Their new album needs to be heard. There is so much crap out there that gets heard all the time, and then this band puts out a great album but their new record label just doesn't have the money to support them. Please go to their website and take a look at the new album. You won't be dissapointed. I better get some responses to this as well.

That main riff in "Blame It On Obvious" ways is just over the top fantastic. I freeze as soon as that track starts each time.

I just get frustrated that a great band like this that pearl jam toured with can't get a little more support from the board. I expected more than 20 responses to be honest with you. Their new album needs to be heard. There is so much crap out there that gets heard all the time, and then this band puts out a great album but their new record label just doesn't have the money to support them. Please go to their website and take a look at the new album. You won't be dissapointed. I better get some responses to this as well.

I know what you mean....especially when their touring buddies, the utterly dull and inexplicably popular on this board the Kings of Leon get so much love! It's bizarre

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I know what you mean....especially when their touring buddies, the utterly dull and inexplicably popular on this board the Kings of Leon get so much love! It's bizarre

Well I liked Idlewild well before they toured with Pearl Jam, just because a band tours with PJ it does'nt mean I go out and buy all their albums, My Morning Jacket for instance, I aint a fan.
    Kings of Leon I was into them long before they toured with PJ they are a solid band in my opinion as are Idlewild them supprting Pearl Jam has nothing to do with my love for them same as The Buzzcocks, Bad Religion, Sonic Youth I love all these bands for their own merits.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Idlewild are pretty crappy really (the remote part is ok I suppose in a REM tribute type of way). The last couple of albums have been completely bland they are even abit of a joke here in Scotland now where they are regarded with the same level of mocking Nickelback get in Canada/The States.
    Soupy wrote:
    Idlewild are pretty crappy really (the remote part is ok I suppose in a REM tribute type of way). The last couple of albums have been completely bland they are even abit of a joke here in Scotland now where they are regarded with the same level of mocking Nickelback get in Canada/The States.

That is really surprising. Granted I have only heard 100 Broken Windows and a couple of other songs on the radio. From what I've heard, they are 1000 times better than Nickleback.