Official "I hate COLDPLAY" Thread. Am I the only one who thinks they´re shite?

2»

Comments

• Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I loved their first record, I liked their second one a lot....and hated the third. I have no interest in hearing the new one. They just fell flat somehow.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    It is nice to see a rock band (and an English one to boot ;)) at the top of the charts though!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Do they ROCK? No. Do they try to? No. They just write pop music, and it's quite good.
    Tickets are a little on the pricey side, but I'm still excited to see them.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lastexit78 wrote:
    If it wasn't for AROBTTH I don't know if I would even own one of their albums.

Isn't that a football team in Scotland? :D
  • I used to like them in more happier times...just for cheerful music to have on every now and again around the house.

But when I'm in a more serious, inspired, thinking, troubled mode like lately, I can
    not stand the sound of them hardly at all. It's weird for me to go to extremes like this inbetween listening to them but I guess they are a love/hate, guilty pleasure for me.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • SeseSese Posts: 1
    The VIva La Vida is Coldplay's experimental record, both musically and politically. Some songs were played on Persian Santur rather than a guitar. Jonny Buckland's guitar tone is more aggressive than ever. Click here to check out the whole album on-line for free.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283

their new song violet hill is pretty uptempo and i dig. their last album sucked, but a rush of blood to the head is near flawless.

Agreed.

It's very fashionable to hate Coldplay as it's boosts Indie cred to do so.....

Personally I think they're great, but then again I also love Radiohead so what do I know.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Since people always chime in on my threads about when I like something and they feel the need to tell me they hate it:
    I love Coldplay.
    Alot.

But why?
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Agreed.

Personally I think they're great, but then again I also love Radiohead so what do I know.....

Radiohead is incredible, one of the best bands ever - but Coldplay is horrible.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    If that line of thought makes *you* feel better, that's fine.

Now if a person's so vapid as to dislike Coldpay for such a stupid reason, that's then that's fine, too.

As for the rest of us who are just majorly unimpressed with their music, not so much.

Even though "Violet Hill" is the singularly most interesting thing that they've done to my ears, they still can't seem to move me to want anymore from them. I'll be over here in the "majorly unimpressed" corner.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    their last album was not good at all
    in the latest (i think) rolling stone article w/ chris martin, chris is quoted saying that their band last year was 'bigger than they were good'
    i agree.
    but parachutes is a great album, and i'm loving their new material!
  • Sese wrote:
    The VIva La Vida is Coldplay's experimental record, both musically and politically. Some songs were played on Persian Santur rather than a guitar. Jonny Buckland's guitar tone is more aggressive than ever. Click here to check out the whole album on-line for free.

fuck off spammer.
  • Yellow is absolutely beautiful, and I also like Clocks and The Scientist, but overall they kinda bore me. Don't hate them but I definitely won't spend a long drive listening to their albums either.
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky...A human being that was giveeeeeeeeeeeeen to flllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i don't know why people feel the need to spew negative energy announcing their dislike for a band

it's music, it is all subjective

what one person likes, another person doesn't
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    first two records were excellent
    X&Y was good but had a couple of clunkers

so far the new one is a total dissapointment
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    anybody listen to The Herd on ESPN radio?

"I'll have a daiquiri and some Coldplay please! I wouldn't even vacuum my house to this stuff. Coldplay is like Pau Gasol, just too soft." lol
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • Sese wrote:

At least Chris Cornell's street team were real, human spammers. Coldplay can only get robots.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2008/06/stuff-white-peo.html

Stuff White People Like: Coldplay
    by Vanity Fair
    June 16, 2008, 8:11 PM

It is easy to think that all white people love Coldplay. However, if you assume this you will miss a great opportunity to dig beneath the surface of white people and learn how to really get inside their heads. By understanding a white person’s feelings toward the band, you can evaluate, recognize, and eventually exploit the type of white person you are dealing with.

White people who list Coldplay as their favorite band are what we will call “basic” level white. Chances are that they discovered the band a few years ago and have attended at least one concert. Their knowledge of music is very limited, and there is a 100 percent chance that they also like U2. If you need to befriend one of these people, just tell them that X&Y helped you get through a difficult breakup. They will understand.

If you mention the band to a white person and that white person rolls their eyes, you are likely dealing with a “standard” level white person. The way to know for sure is to say, “I consider the band to be a guilty pleasure.” A favorable reaction indicates that your white person is indeed standard level. For the most part, these people are either former fans ( “I liked Parachutes when it came out”) or very reluctant fans (“Yeah, I guess ‘The Scientist’ is a good song”). Though they may appear more standoffish than basic level white people, they are far easier to manipulate once you know their secret.

Due to its big, sweeping sound, Coldplay’s music is perfect for montages about relationships in television and film. Because of this, many white people have listened to a Coldplay song on their iPod while looking out the window of an airplane or car, imagining that they are acting out a scene from a movie about their life. It is their secret shame and it is strongly recommended that you never bring it up with them. Instead you should direct the conversation to white hero Gwyneth Paltrow and her choice of baby names. This is guaranteed to put a white person in a good mood.

It is important to be aware that an affinity for Coldplay can cause an immediate loss of respect among “advanced” level white people. The best way to earn the trust of these people is to say “Coldplay is this generation’s U2.” (Note: this is an insult.) Advanced level white people are often the poorest white people in terms of money but the richest in terms of credibility and respect.

Knowing how to use Coldplay to your advantage will be one of your main assets as you climb the white social ladder.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    fanch75 wrote:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2008/06/stuff-white-peo.html

Stuff White People Like: Coldplay
    by Vanity Fair
    June 16, 2008, 8:11 PM

It is easy to think that all white people love Coldplay. However, if you assume this you will miss a great opportunity to dig beneath the surface of white people and learn how to really get inside their heads. By understanding a white person’s feelings toward the band, you can evaluate, recognize, and eventually exploit the type of white person you are dealing with.

White people who list Coldplay as their favorite band are what we will call “basic” level white. Chances are that they discovered the band a few years ago and have attended at least one concert. Their knowledge of music is very limited, and there is a 100 percent chance that they also like U2. If you need to befriend one of these people, just tell them that X&Y helped you get through a difficult breakup. They will understand.

If you mention the band to a white person and that white person rolls their eyes, you are likely dealing with a “standard” level white person. The way to know for sure is to say, “I consider the band to be a guilty pleasure.” A favorable reaction indicates that your white person is indeed standard level. For the most part, these people are either former fans (“I liked Parachutes when it came out”) or very reluctant fans (“Yeah, I guess ‘The Scientist’ is a good song”). Though they may appear more standoffish than basic level white people, they are far easier to manipulate once you know their secret.

Due to its big, sweeping sound, Coldplay’s music is perfect for montages about relationships in television and film. Because of this, many white people have listened to a Coldplay song on their iPod while looking out the window of an airplane or car, imagining that they are acting out a scene from a movie about their life. It is their secret shame and it is strongly recommended that you never bring it up with them. Instead you should direct the conversation to white hero Gwyneth Paltrow and her choice of baby names. This is guaranteed to put a white person in a good mood.

It is important to be aware that an affinity for Coldplay can cause an immediate loss of respect among “advanced” level white people. The best way to earn the trust of these people is to say “Coldplay is this generation’s U2.” (Note: this is an insult.) Advanced level white people are often the poorest white people in terms of money but the richest in terms of credibility and respect.

Knowing how to use Coldplay to your advantage will be one of your main assets as you climb the white social ladder.

LMAO.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.