Official "I hate COLDPLAY" Thread. Am I the only one who thinks they´re shite?

alidalealidale Posts: 28
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Please tell me I´m not!. Stadia fillers they are, good they are not! And The Creaky Boards and Joe Satriani aren´t happy bunnies! (I imagine U2 aren´t either)

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=eUhFLiw6h6s
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm not a big fan. They've got a few decent tunes but my god they're bland and dull. Inoffensive and boring. I think Chris Martin is a bit of a tosser as well.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Coldplay are poo.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • we need an official thread to again beat this point to death??? we know a lotta people don't like em on here.

their new song violet hill is pretty uptempo and i dig. their last album sucked, but a rush of blood to the head is near flawless.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • mole1985 wrote:
    Coldplay are poo.

^^^^^^
    Horry Kow!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    not a fan myself.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I never understood their appeal.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    we need an official thread to again beat this point to death??? we know a lotta people don't like em on here.

their new song violet hill is pretty uptempo and i dig. their last album sucked, but a rush of blood to the head is near flawless.

Agreed. When it comes to mainstream music, you could do MUCH worse. Yea, they're nothing mind blowing or anything, but they're decent songwriters and I dig a lot of their stuff.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    they're AWFUL!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    i really dislike them too. i have heard alot of there stuff and it all sounds the same to me. somebody told me they are good to have sex to. i will not tell you that is but he is on this board!!!. haha
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    count me in!! There's going to have to be an exorcisom monday after they play MSG to clear out all the toxins in the air before PJ plays.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Plenty of people hate them. I can understand it as they do not have a variety in songs. At times, I really enjoy there music and find it quite relaxing. They have some great melodies.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Since people always chime in on my threads about when I like something and they feel the need to tell me they hate it:
    I love Coldplay.
    Alot.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • alidalealidale Posts: 28
    Thank you all very much. I was beginning to wonder if I was going off the rails.
  • I like a few songs off of the parachutes album, other than that it's all pretty much crap
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    overrated, but not bad.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Are they shite? No. Are they great? No. They fall somewhere in between. The problem is, they are on the same level as forgettable bands like Travis, yet somehow everyone started hyping them up like they deserved to be recognized as one of the best bands of all time or something. There is nothing wrong with Coldplay if you put them in the category that they belong, but a U2 or Radiohead level band they are not, and they should'nt be considered.

I think the reason they got so big is because they were a safe rock band for a lot of top 40 types to enjoy. Even some of my friends who never listen to any guitar/rock oriented music and strictly listen to horrible top 40 r&b or hiphop have said they like Coldplay. Its strange. Why Coldplay? There's all these fuckin' great bands out there and you decide "Coldplay..there's a rock band I can get behind".
  • FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    I'm not ashamed to say I'm a fan. I think this new album isn't very good, and after reading part of the RS interview with Chris Martin it seems the band has become very full of itself. I thought X&Y was better than most of the reviews, but definately not as good as AROBTTH. I've come away after listening to this new album 2x that they've probably already peaked. Shame for me because I thought they had a lot of potential, but oh well, not every band lasts as long as others.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    i really dislike them too. i have heard alot of there stuff and it all sounds the same to me. somebody told me they are good to have sex to. i will not tell you that is but he is on this board!!!. haha

He needs to take a sex ed. class ... Back to basics.
  • I refuse to listen to them long enough to hate them.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    dislike them.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Is there a form I need to sign? Can I borrow a pen?
    NERDS!
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i like coldplay, and i dislike death cab for cutie instead......

wow, what a great thread.....
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I think the reason Coldplay are so popular is their potential. They can obviously write good pop songs sometimes, but they're just that small but essential step from writing great memorable songs. They haven't consistantly reached that level after 4 albums so it's a bit doubtful they can manage, but I think they'll be hanging in there for some time to come.

I personally think they're alright, not the worst bands ever like some people slate them as, but definitely not one of the best. I'd happily go to a gig if friends were going, but I don't think I'd go to one of their gigs alone. My problem is them is most their songs have fairly predictable lyrics and song structures. For a great band I need to listen to a band and think "Wow, I could never write that" but with a lot of Coldplay's new songs I could go to any pub on an open mic night and hear similar lyrics ("Just because I'm losing doesn't mean I'm lost" is criminally cliche!).
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Igottago wrote:
    Are they shite? No. Are they great? No. They fall somewhere in between. The problem is, they are on the same level as forgettable bands like Travis, yet somehow everyone started hyping them up like they deserved to be recognized as one of the best bands of all time or something. There is nothing wrong with Coldplay if you put them in the category that they belong, but a U2 or Radiohead level band they are not, and they should'nt be considered.

I think the reason they got so big is because they were a safe rock band for a lot of top 40 types to enjoy. Even some of my friends who never listen to any guitar/rock oriented music and strictly listen to horrible top 40 r&b or hiphop have said they like Coldplay. Its strange. Why Coldplay? There's all these fuckin' great bands out there and you decide "Coldplay..there's a rock band I can get behind".

I totally agree, a totally unremarkable band in my view. I kind of like Violet Hill just because it sounds like Pink Floyd, but that's about it.
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    If it wasn't for AROBTTH I don't know if I would even own one of their albums. But that album was so brilliant that I couldn't help become a fan. I think they're a pretty good band, who happen to have one masterpiece. In fact I think it's one of the best albums released this decade and that's coming from someone who listens to everything from Radiohead to Neil Young to Bill Frisell. I think some people are so shallow that they think if they're caught listening to Coldplay it will make them outcasts or something. People will do everything they can to hate them and almost nothing to give them a chance.

I was once the kind of person that would complain about how bad other bands sucked. In fact I was a leader of the Creed sucks bandwagon that rolled through here about 8 years ago. Now I've grown up to the point where I don't really care anymore. If people like a certain band who cares? Is it really worth posting over and over how much they suck? If they make people happy more power to them. Unfortantely PJ fans are probably the biggest haters there are. Maybe they should create a new forum here and call it "Other Music That Sucks". At least then we could keep the negativity in one central place.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    If not for that recent commercial they're in that promotes their new single....I would have forgotten they existed.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    not a huge fan but i heard the new album and its the goods in my book
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Coldplay are milquetoast, vanilla, bland...so I don't hate them at all; I'm just painfully indifferent towards them.

Seriously. They're not interesting enough to inspire my hate, although sometimes I feel a little sorry for them. For all of their trying and legions of fans, in truth, they're just not terribly special. At least not in the way that I percieve that music should be.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Parachutes is a great album.. just become weiners since.
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    i don't care for them--at all--either.