Who was the best Seattle singer?

Comments

• No, your wrong dude
    you are... all of you are.... none of you know shit. j/k
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i don't care.... i liked Scott Weiland's voice better than all these dudes. this dude can change his voice and hit the same notes cornell did. i seriously wish i could sing like this guy... even though he's not from seattle.

Clearly someone didn't listen to the Beyond The Wheel youtube link......
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Cornell
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Chris Motherfuckin' Cornell >>>>>>>>>>>> EV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone Else.
  • You may not like the music but the best voice that ever came out of Seattle is Geoff Tate......

Oh yeah...he's from Queensryche....in case you didn't know.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You may not like the music but the best voice that ever came out of Seattle is Geoff Tate......

Oh yeah...he's from Queensryche....in case you didn't know.

Cornell is better......
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    i don't care.... i liked Scott Weiland's voice better than all these dudes. this dude can change his voice and hit the same notes cornell did. i seriously wish i could sing like this guy... even though he's not from seattle.

You must seriously be tone deaf if you think Weiland hits the same notes as CC. Nothing against Weiland, I like him just fine as a singer, but his range doesn't come anywhere close to Cornell's.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    My favourite is Ed but I'd say Chris Cornell
  • My Fav is Eddie, always has been since I bought Ten but Chris has one hell of a powerful voice, Layne is just unique and his voice is essential to AIC sound, Lanegan has that Tom Waits quality to his voice.

Kurt is perfect for his lyrics, the songs wouldn't be the same without the torment and anger in his voice and the quieter moments like the unplugged show however cracked and strained still have a quality which defines Nirvana and made that show so memorable

I think in there own bands they are the best and neither could enhance the other if they changed places.

These guys defined the grunge era and their music will live on but for me Eddie seems to do angry and tender better personally and has more emotion and RVM & In Hiding are probably for me his high points.

This is just to my ears and everyone is entitled to their view.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I just watched this broadcast at

http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php

and Chris Cornell is sounding good, not great. I think he is amazing, however sometimes live he seems to struggle to hit certain notes or he will change it around and sing it a different way in order to not have to hit those notes. Eddie, on the other hand, never seems to have any problems with singing any of his songs. Even when his voice is questionable (Vegas 2006) it still sounds amazing.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Technically - Cornell
    Emotionally - Staley, Vedder

I just wanted to say exactly the same thing!
  • reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
    Not sure who I would choose as the best out of the three, but if we were talking duos then I would choose Staley,Cantrell. Their harmonies were simply amazing.
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • Jerry Cantrell is great.
  • MLB5150MLB5150 Posts: 70
    Chris Cornell around '91 (TotD and Badmotorfinger) could destroy any singer on the planet. Disgustingly good. He is by far the best. But each is very talented and sound perfect to there own settings.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    cornell

black hole sun, reach down and hunger strike

nuff said

i like layne the best outta all them, he made dark look pretty.

dark is pretty.

and i say cornell. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Layne Staley gets my vote.
    NERDS!
  • ToolgardenToolgarden Posts: 88
    dark is pretty.

and i say cornell. :)

Black is beautiful.

Cornell gets my vote, too. Some of his shit is blacker than anything Layne wrote, and just as powerful....And I would dare say much more artistic, viscerally speaking. So much of Badmoterfinger is like raw sewage for the soul. Makes daily living seem clean. Love it.
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • Enume CellEnume Cell Posts: 16
    Cornell; Chris Cornell.
    ??!
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Without a doubt, Cornell.
    Toolgarden wrote:
    Black is beautiful.

Cornell gets my vote, too. Some of his shit is blacker than anything Layne wrote, and just as powerful....And I would dare say much more artistic, viscerally speaking. So much of Badmoterfinger is like raw sewage for the soul. Makes daily living seem clean. Love it.

badmotorfinger is like raw sewage for the soul. love it! :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • badmotorfinger is like raw sewage for the soul. love it! :)

Definetely the best album they made
    Definetely the best album they made

i agree. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gotta go with Layne Staley and Chris Cornell. Though Geoff Tate in the '80s to mid '90s was excellent as well.
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    Cornell (by a longshot) > Vedder > Staley/Cantrell

I'd say it's up for grabs after that. Based on what I've heard #4 would be Lannegan but I haven't listened to much of him or Screaming Trees sadly (yet).

edit: If anyone puts some shmuck like Cobain ahead of Cornell they need to seriously hang themselves... or listen to TOTD and Soundgarden, whichever you consider less painful. It's one thing not to care for a singer or band but Cornell is fucking unbelievable. Recognize the talent.

Because clearly your opinion is more correct than ours... give me a break. I'm not going to let someone who hasn't even listened to Mark Lanegan sing (but based on what others say would still rank him ahead of Cobain,) tell me that what I think is wrong.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    uhhh mia zapata anyone?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • SiDSiD Posts: 76
    Cornell is better......

No, he isn't. Geoff is without question the best singer to come out of Seattle. And maybe the best rock singer to come out of anywhere.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    i think they are all kind of similiar in that they come from different spaces but you can find them together at different times

throughout the years ive went from one to the next and changed favorite every now and then

tough question .
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • SiD wrote:
    No, he isn't. Geoff is without question the best singer to come out of Seattle. And maybe the best rock singer to come out of anywhere.
    Uh.....no, you ever hear of plant, mercury, buckley, gillian, cornell? All better than your boy!!!!
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    SiD wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Cornell