Who was the best Seattle singer?

TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I realize that they all have their own unique qualities and it is literally impossible to separate one as truly the best... with that being said: Who do you think was the best singer in the 90's- Vedder, Cornell, or Stayley- and why?
To make it fair, don't take into account anything that Vedder or Cornell sung on after Layne died.
Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Vedder.............listen to Release, enough said
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ray Charles.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Vedder.............listen to Release, enough said

Well I know this is a PJ board, but what about Staley's voice on Junkhead or Lifeless Dead. Or Cornell's voice on Blow Up the Outside World.. although Vedder's voice on the 7/18/06 Release opener is definitely amazing, but that was after Staley died so it doesn't count =)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Vedder's probably my favourite, but Cornell was the best. The Temple of the Dog album is testament enough to that.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    cornell

black hole sun, reach down and hunger strike

nuff said

i like layne the best outta all them, he made dark look pretty.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

cornell

black hole sun, reach down and hunger strike

nuff said

i like layne the best outta all them, he made dark look pretty.

Yeah I agree.. while Cornell and Vedder are my two favorite singers right now (along with Jack Johnson)... I feel that both their voices are very similar whereas Staley had the most unique voice that I have ever heard.
    Trailer wrote:
    Well I know this is a PJ board, but what about Staley's voice on Junkhead or Lifeless Dead. Or Cornell's voice on Blow Up the Outside World.. although Vedder's voice on the 7/18/06 Release opener is definitely amazing, but that was after Staley died so it doesn't count =)

They dont hold a candle to Vedder and I was talking about the studio version.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

They dont hold a candle to Vedder and I was talking about the studio version.

I know the studio version is great.. do you think that is Vedder's very best though? I thought about it and can't really think of anything else that he's done in the studio that is better at showcasing his amazing voice.
    Trailer wrote:
    I know the studio version is great.. do you think that is Vedder's very best though? I thought about it and can't really think of anything else that he's done in the studio that is better at showcasing his amazing voice.

In Hiding blows me away everytime but I do think Release may be his best.......there are some others as well that never fail to impress me
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    My opinion:

1. Staley
    2. Lanegan
    3. Cobain
    4. Vedder
    5. Wood
    6. Cornell
    7. Arm
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
    I know this is off topic, but was anyone else disappointed with Arc? I know it is a memorial for the people that died at their concert, but considering Eddie's amazing talent, I feel the song is not as good as it could have been. Just listen to the middle of Paranoid Android by Radiohead and you can hear how layered harmonies are supposed to sound like.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Eddie.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • As if there was a contest. Cornell.

The others are good, but for a period Cornell was the best male vocalist in the world.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    What about Cobain? If you're talking about 'technical' singing then sure he's probably not the best but I think he sang with much more emotion than most.

Anyway, Chris Cornell gets my vote for best singer. He's pretty bland now but if you listen to "Gun" or "Superunknown" it's just scary what his voice could do.

But then you can't beat Eddie Vedder growling and snarling.
  • bird jam wrote:
    My opinion:

1. Staley
    2. Lanegan
    3. Cobain
    4. Vedder
    5. Wood
    6. Cornell
    7. Arm

i was going to mention lanegan, he's highly underrated...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • yup, i was going to jump in with the: why isnt lanegan on the list?

i like different singers for different moods, i know its a cop out. cornell is clearly trhe best technical singer, but eddie is more emotional at times, lanegan is outstanding and consistent..cobain..to me, not that great a singer really. Layne was utterly unique and dark.

i have no idea.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Listening to Say Hello To Heaven alone makes me sway towards Cornell.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Technically - Cornell
    Emotionally - Staley, Vedder
    Technically - Cornell
    Emotionally - Staley, Vedder

Just wondering what makes Cornell so technical?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Trailer wrote:
    Just wondering what makes Cornell so technical?
    His range is absoutley incredible.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Cornell (by a longshot) > Vedder > Staley/Cantrell

I'd say it's up for grabs after that. Based on what I've heard #4 would be Lannegan but I haven't listened to much of him or Screaming Trees sadly (yet).

edit: If anyone puts some shmuck like Cobain ahead of Cornell they need to seriously hang themselves... or listen to TOTD and Soundgarden, whichever you consider less painful. It's one thing not to care for a singer or band but Cornell is fucking unbelievable. Recognize the talent.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Based purely on technical ability, Cornell in his prime was easily the best. The notes he could hit, and the power he put into them was astounding. Anything else is purely subjective.
  • Vedder and Cornell.

My favorite Vedder vocals will always be on Release and Hunger Strike. Ed is especially fucking powerful on the latter.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Technically- Andrew Wood and Layne Staley

Personal favorite- Eddie and Kurt
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Technically- Andrew Wood and Layne Staley

Personal favorite- Eddie and Kurt

Technically, like how? Cornell had far greater range and power than any of those singers.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Technically, like how? Cornell had far greater range and power than any of those singers.

yeh man

god i really hate these friggin threads

so pointless
  • Technically, like how? Cornell had far greater range and power than any of those singers.
    And don't forget versatility. Dude can scream you into oblivion or turn around and sing the most mellow beautiful song you've ever heard. Example: Singles soundtrack. Birth Ritual and Seasons. :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Here are my top 3

Ed Vedder
    Layne Stanley
    Kevin Martin (candlebox)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • gerry roslie (the sonics)
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Christopher. Hands down. Always has been in my opinion.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.