Options

Does anyone else in here not really like Pearl Jam anymore?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I mean I stopped listening to them hardcore like a year ago and I still come here just for the great forum. I don't hate them... i'm just not a big fan like I used to me... I changed..

my gusto ran out of steam after may of '03. saw them in buffalo, then retired from their live shows. was such a great show i figured why not have my last show be the best one i've been to? i still get the studio releases, but haven't bothered with the live stuff at all. or the solo stuff. haven't purchased any merch in a long time. to me, pearl jam was more a strong part of the end of my teens and most of my 20's. i felt i had to have them as a part of my life every day. almost felt incomplete if i didn't hear at least one song a day by them. looking back, i also feel that i limited my acceptance of other music because of this band. i mean, the whole seattle music scene was something i was into, but if it didn't have some kind of connection with pearl jam, i didn't really want to know about it. i'm now in my late 30's, and i'd like to think my musical taste has grown by leaps and bounds. i'm seeing bands that i never would have even given a thought to 10 years ago. but as far as my love for pearl jam......i still love the music (mainly 10 through yield), but i just don't have the same feelings i used to. they went from being complete geniuses and musical gods to me, to now just being a band.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Pearl Jam have gone too far with focusing on their live stuff...bootlegs of everything, live DVD after live DVD, tours every few months...its awesome that they are a great live band, but that much attention to the live side of things does a couple of things...it takes you away from writing material and writing albums, which is what tours should be based around..and it also makes people sick to death of the songs that you play show after show. Who really needs to hear another live version of Even Flow?

I love Pearl Jam but they are just resting on their laurels now and haven't challenged themselves or their fans in some time. Avocado was by far the worst album they've released, and I hope they start to enjoy the process of crafting an album again rather than just bashing out a few generic riffs and going on the road again.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Pearl Jam have gone too far with focusing on their live stuff...bootlegs of everything, live DVD after live DVD, tours every few months...its awesome that they are a great live band, but that much attention to the live side of things does a couple of things...it takes you away from writing material and writing albums, which is what tours should be based around..and it also makes people sick to death of the songs that you play show after show. Who really needs to hear another live version of Even Flow?

I love Pearl Jam but they are just resting on their laurels now and haven't challenged themselves or their fans in some time. Avocado was by far the worst album they've released, and I hope they start to enjoy the process of crafting an album again rather than just bashing out a few generic riffs and going on the road again.

I totally disagree that Avocado was their worst, I think it's got some great stuff on it. But I do agree that they need to up their game a bit.

Re: Even Flow - I wouldn't mind hearing another live version of it, if they slowed the damn thing down, same goes for Given To Fly - that song used to have the most fantastic build up during the verses, but now it just seems like they can't wait to get to the chorus.

Oh, and I still love PJ. I don't listen to them every day; sometimes I go weeks on end without listening to a single song. But, there are times when only PJ will do, and I play them to death for a week or so.
  • Options
    Excuse me while I go put on some Pearl Jam. I still love 'em! :D
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    jammerfall wrote:
    Excuse me while I go put on some Pearl Jam. I still love 'em! :D

Hell yea :D I just had one of those pearl jam experiences that suddenly had me saying "fuck other bands right now" while listening to breakerfall from hartford.

In hiding now....
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    Oh I still like them... in fact they are still my favorite band.

But I think I'm more of a 90's Pearl Jam fan. The music they've released this decade is ok, there's a few great songs they've written but as a whole it's kind of average.

And Eddie has lost some of his depth when he sings, unless he is singing a slow part... it's not so powerful anymore due to smoking. So I actually almost never listen to the boots.

I don't think I could ever not like them though...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    Okay, I listened to them on the way to and from college today, and have the MSG DVD on as we speak. They're still the best goddamn band in the world. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I still like them. I listen to music all day while working but only listen to PJ once or twice a week, there's so much else to listen to.

I recently played my PJ studio playlist and it was excellent, just can't believe how fast they play some of those songs live.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam are a big part of my life. They represent a lot of my happiness. I don't listen to them every day these days but then, I don't call my mum every day either.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    i havent posted here in a while because I haven't really listened to Pearl Jam for at least 18 months. I think it's partly because I just played them every day for about 6 years before that.

More in to soul/funk/reggae/classic rhythm and blues/classic rock and roll/doo wop at the moment. Always lovin the motown too. My obsession these days is Stevie Wonder, closely followed by Prince.....although Stevie's always been there. Pearl Jam doesnt seem to have a place for me these days....and the same goes for eveything 'grunge'. Cant believe Im saying these words as it used to dominate my life. I even wanted to do my dissertation at college on it!

I'm glad I went through that phase though...and will probably fall back in to it here and there in the future...maybe quite a while in to the future, when it really feels nostalgic. I think I'll like that :-)
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I still think they're one of the best rock bands in the world. I don't understand where all this Avocado hate is coming from. I thought it was easily the best thing they've done in years. There's some really great stuff on that album. It was cool to hear them rediscovering hooks and choruses again for the first time since Yield. I'm all for experimentation, but a lot of the songs on Riot Act and Binaural just sounded flat and uninspiring to me. The only song I skip on Avocado is "Big Wave" (terrible song). The rest of the album kicks my ass everytime I listen to it. Their live bootleg program is the coolest thing in music, and I wish more of my favorite bands would take a page out of PJ's book and do the same thing.

Some of you hardcore Ten-Clubbers have seen this band live 60 or 70 times over the years and you listen to them every single freakin' day, and perhaps that's why you're getting sick of them. These people need to take a break and listen to something else for a while. I've only seen them twice in my lifetime (1993 and 2005), so for me they're still very fresh and relevant. They're one of my favorite bands of all time, but I only listen to them maybe once every few weeks. There's just way too much brilliant music out there to devote yourself to one band.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    Pearl Jam>Riot Act

I still love them...

MMJ is right up there though.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    arq wrote:
    PJ is like an old friend each one has his own space but we enjoy being together and we know we're there for each other. I don't need to listen to them every single day to know that they're the greatest band and my favorite band!
    couldn't have said it better.
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    loveatree wrote:
    couldn't have said it better.

I'd have added a few commas...but nice sentiment.