Options

Does anyone else in here not really like Pearl Jam anymore?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited October 2008 in Other Music
I mean I stopped listening to them hardcore like a year ago and I still come here just for the great forum. I don't hate them... i'm just not a big fan like I used to me... I changed..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    maybe you're just going through a phase where you don't listen to them. I go through that every once in a while and sometimes it lasts for months. But I always come back to them eventually.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Options
    maybe you're just going through a phase where you don't listen to them. I go through that every once in a while and sometimes it lasts for months. But I always come back to them eventually.

maybe so
  • Options
    I don't listen to them as much as I used to... there's just a whole world of good music out there I'd have to neglect. But when I do listen to them, it's as awesome as ever.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I don't listen to them as much as I used to... there's just a whole world of good music out there I'd have to neglect. But when I do listen to them, it's as awesome as ever.

Ditto.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    When I listen to them, I'm reminded of why they're the greatest band in the world.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    well, i didn't renew my membership this year. although i don't think that's anything against the band or their music...but my wife thought i was nuckin futs for not doing it.

after seeing them at the Gorge both night in 06 i thought i would honestly never have to see them again...i didn't listen to them that much. then i saw them at bonnaroo and hartford and that changed everything....

until i started to listen to MMJ

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    When I listen to them, I'm reminded of why they're the greatest band in the world.
    I put on Lost Dogs for the first time in ages last night. Felt good to get the Footsteps chills again. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943

Yeah, same. I haven't listened to them for some time, but they're the one band that I always come back to with more passion than before. I go in spurts with bands - one month I'll be into metal, the next jam bands, the following alternative rock, and then I'll listen to nothing but classic rock. Pearl Jam has always been the one band that I love more and more every time I get back into them.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I go through phases where I don't listen to them much, but those phases are usually a reaction to the times where a new album comes out and they tour. When there is new Pearl Jam, I tend to listen to a lot of old Pearl Jam as well. I flood myself and then need some time off.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    They are probably the only band I never get tired of. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Nowadays I only like Pearl Jam because of their bootlegs. ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    i still go to the shows. still rank them as one of my faves.

But after the crapfest Avocado was, and Ed starting to get all whiney and nasally from years of smoking, and me just growing up and realizing that they long ago turned themselves into a band that does 3 things (the classic rock song, the classic punk song, and the led zeppelin ripoff) and nothing else, i am getting kind of tired of it.

The only thing i REALLY liked that they have done since Yield was the song "You Are", it was ballsy of them to use the whole guitar-through-a-drum-machine thing. it sounded different and i wish they would experiment a hell of alot more.

but they haven't, and i doubt they'll ever be the arena rock gods they could have been, instead subjecting themselves to being a capable classic rock throwback instead.

It kind of bugs me. But every band gets stale eventually. so whatever.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    PJ is like an old friend each one has his own space but we enjoy being together and we know we're there for each other. I don't need to listen to them every single day to know that they're the greatest band and my favorite band!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    every couple of months I'll put on no code or riot act but other than the occasional bootleg afternoon I don't really listen to them, it's like the more amazing albums I find the less I want to come back to them. But compared to the other bands I grew up on it's pretty much down to PJ, Nirvana and the Hip as the only ones I still groove too. I mean Alice in Chains and Soundgarden? no thanks I still like the songs but I don't care anymore. Like the guy who mentioned falling for MMJ that'll never happen to me cause I tried and found them impossibly lame but I have lost my mind over the Hold Steady the last few years and they're the band I force on peopel now where I used to try to do it with Pearl jam.

PS-brainofpj that wasn't meant to be a diss since there's no accounting for taste and I know a ton of people really don't get THS.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    i still go to the shows. still rank them as one of my faves.

But after the crapfest Avocado was, and Ed starting to get all whiney and nasally from years of smoking, and me just growing up and realizing that they long ago turned themselves into a band that does 3 things (the classic rock song, the classic punk song, and the led zeppelin ripoff) and nothing else, i am getting kind of tired of it.

The only thing i REALLY liked that they have done since Yield was the song "You Are", it was ballsy of them to use the whole guitar-through-a-drum-machine thing. it sounded different and i wish they would experiment a hell of alot more.

but they haven't, and i doubt they'll ever be the arena rock gods they could have been, instead subjecting themselves to being a capable classic rock throwback instead.

It kind of bugs me. But every band gets stale eventually. so whatever.

I agree here.

I even went to the two MSG shows this year and thought the shows were actually pretty boring.

So I'm not gonna lie...Pearl Jam are not my favorite band anymore and over the past 4 months, everytime a PJ song comes on my iPod, I skip it. I hate to say it, but I think I'm over them. That and I HATE seeing bands in arenas. It's so dispersonal.

Maybe when PJ comes out with something new, I'll be into them again, but I don't really like them anymore. So to answer the original question: Yes, me.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    every couple of months I'll put on no code or riot act but other than the occasional bootleg afternoon I don't really listen to them, it's like the more amazing albums I find the less I want to come back to them. But compared to the other bands I grew up on it's pretty much down to PJ, Nirvana and the Hip as the only ones I still groove too. I mean Alice in Chains and Soundgarden? no thanks I still like the songs but I don't care anymore. Like the guy who mentioned falling for MMJ that'll never happen to me cause I tried and found them impossibly lame but I have lost my mind over the Hold Steady the last few years and they're the band I force on peopel now where I used to try to do it with Pearl jam.

PS-brainofpj that wasn't meant to be a diss since there's no accounting for taste and I know a ton of people really don't get THS.

cool.

seeing them live this year, starting with bonnaroo, definitely opened my eyes to the greatness they are

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    As Victor Krummenacher says:- A band needs new blood to continue. Who wants to play in a dead band?

I agree with him there - so many bands release two albums in around 10 years. PJ needs new music.
    I love the band, don't get me wrong and it's good to see some creativity coming from Jeff, Stone and Eddie from their solo work. I can't remember when the last album ( was it the one with half an avocado pear?). So long ago now.
    Perhaps we'll see more solo work - who knows.
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun - W.H. Auden
  • Options
    I still love the band just as much as i did the very first time i heard them. In fact, probably more so.

I love Avocado. I don't care if it's 'not as good as this or that', i still like it and i pretty much love everything else they've ever done.

Without sounding like a pretentious twat, Pearl Jam have changed my life over the years, and in so many ways. The day my passion for them starts to fade, will be a sad day for me. But personally i think that's a day that will never come.

Just enjoy them people, bands like this are hard to find, and we'll miss them when it's all over.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I often go months and months without listening to them and they are pretty far from where my tastes lie these days but the boys still have my heart. Every now and then I crack out one of the albums and it just feels like home :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i like them but i don't listen to them much. I go through phases. Its been a while though since i was obssed with just pearl jam.

there is too much other good music out there to listen to just pearl jam
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    yeah they are still my fav to look forward to when it comes to tour time ,new albums , i mean they have given so damm much to me at least i could never give up on them, i started listening to them from 92" forward i'm not about to stop wich reminds me i have to renew my membership wich i have never let lapse .....:D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Every now and then I crack out one of the albums and it just feels like home :)
    My feelings exactly. But nothing very much exciting or surprising anymore, like an old couple somewhat.
  • Options
    Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    wolfbear wrote:
    They are probably the only band I never get tired of. :)

Ditto..
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • Options
    i really have a hard time getting into new music,i try to listen to new bands but usually get bored after a few plays(arcade fire excepted)
    pearl jam records dont bore me,i am playing tracks from vitalogy and binaural that i used to skip
    with so many boots available and no two concerts the same i dont see the day when i get tired of this band.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Lately Ive been listening to other bands, and finding new music. But I still listen to pearl jam a decent amount of the time. They're still my favorite band and always will be. When their new album comes out, Im sure its going to be PJ all over again just like in 06.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I went through that stage a long time ago...came back and realized just how fuckin' great they are, now love them more than ever
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    intodeep wrote:
    i like them but i don't listen to them much. I go through phases. Its been a while though since i was obssed with just pearl jam.

there is too much other good music out there to listen to just pearl jam

My feelings exactly!
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    I mean I stopped listening to them hardcore like a year ago and I still come here just for the great forum. I don't hate them... i'm just not a big fan like I used to me... I changed..

If your membership number's less than 370*** and you no longer want it (or if anyone else is in the same situation for that matter) I'm more than willing to give it a very good home!! :D
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options

This happens to me whenever there's a 2 year+ stretch between albums, like right now..... I may go a year without listening to any PJ
    the Minions
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    It'd just be nice to hear new music sooner.....

RA to Avocado was 4 years.....and now another long wait.....

I'm starting to wonder if Pearl Jam is Pearl Jam's favourite band anymore.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton