Wouldn't Sigur Ros be 50 times better if they sang in English?

Comments

• Nobody can even understand WTF he is even saying... That is what turns me off to most of their music... it has good emotion but it means nothing to me in any way... and its not even beautiful (just the language, Not the music)... at some parts the language actually sounds kind of nasty with the german "ch" sound

blah blah blah blah cry cry cry cry whine whine whine whine bitch bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan moan whah whah whah whah
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • they'd be 50 times better if they never picked up any instruments again.

They're actually great musicians...This is coming from someone with a degree in music.
    Shows how little you know.
  • Music has limited meaning... words have unlimited meaning...

That's very assbackwards, but I appreciate your attempt at wisdom.
  • No, i'm right... just think about it...

I did. I thought long & hard. I even meditated. You're very, very wrong.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    No.

Music goes beyond language....

What I love about them is how accurately they mirror my thoughts and feelings in their sounds.....

It sounds cheesy (but TRUE) music is a universal language.....

'The nothingness of music can be moulded by the mood of the listener into the most precise shapes or allowed to float as free as thoughts...' - Stephen Fry
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • This is the silliest thread I've read in a long time.

While we're at it, why don't we make all great foreign films and foreign classic novels English as well?

I believe (I may be wrong) that the most frequently spoken language in the world is Chinese. Maybe Pearl Jam should learn chinese to increase their fan base.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    This is the silliest thread I've read in a long time.

While we're at it, why don't we make all great foreign films and foreign classic novels English as well?

not a great analogy my friend as all foreign films usually have subtitles to allow English speakers to be able to follow the movie.. Sigur Ros dont. and if its a foreign classic then that book will have been translated and published in English... but i knew what ye meant ;)
    I believe (I may be wrong) that the most frequently spoken language in the world is Chinese. Maybe Pearl Jam should learn chinese to increase their fan base.

Ed can order the whole menu from his local restaurant... give the guy a freakin break!!! :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    not a great analogy my friend as all foreign films usually have subtitles to allow English speakers to be able to follow the movie.. Sigur Ros dont. and if its a foreign classic then that book will have been translated and published in English... but i knew what ye meant ;)

I can see why you thought that was my point but the fact is, these classics were written in the mother tongue of the director/author. If we'd ask them to all speak our language we might've got shit, not art.

Hehe.

But on your point, they could publish Sigur Ros' lyrics in English in their liner notes couldn't they? But they don't.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    Wouldn't Sigur Ros be 50 times better if they sang in English?

no.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I tend to think about the words/singing in their songs almost as if it were an additional instrument instead of vocals. If that makes sense.

I don't need to know what he's saying, only that I like how it sounds.

If I knew what he say saying, that would only complicate the listening experience.

I kind of think that Sigur Ros is kind of like Radiohead only without those pesky lyrics. :)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The orginal poster is getting beat around a bit in this thread but i think i understand what they mean.

I appreciate sigur ros a lot, but i always thought if i could get into the lyrics i would like them even more. I'm a big lyric person and that is usually what attracts me to a band. We all like bands for different reasons.

Still a cool band but my personal taste would like them more if there were some great lyrics i could attach to as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    intodeep wrote:
    The orginal poster is getting beat around a bit in this thread but i think i understand what they mean.

I appreciate sigur ros a lot, but i always thought if i could get into the lyrics i would like them even more. I'm a big lyric person and that is usually what attracts me to a band. We all like bands for different reasons.

Still a cool band but my personal taste would like them more if there were some great lyrics i could attach to as well.
    if it was simply a matter of language boundaries i could understand a bit more... but like somebody already mentioned, their lyrics when translated are kindof cutesy and dumb... so either appreciate them for what they are (which i think you do) or just find an entirely different band

like someone else said, they remind me of radiohead a bit as far as their universal musicianship and falsetto vocals... and theyve got some decent lyrics
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    They're actually great musicians...This is coming from someone with a degree in music.
    Shows how little you know.

yeah yeah, someone in another thread used the same arguement. and like i said in that thread ive been playing guitar for a few years so my opinion is also vaild. just cause a book says this is how its done doesnt mean crap. i have yet to hear one song that shows theyre great musicians. not that being a great musician means you can write great or even good songs. but these guys are neither great musician or write great songs.

and ill say it again this band is just like tool, in their approach. and their fans seem much like tool fans too. 'if you dont like it your obviously a moron that wouldnt know gods if they played boring 20 minute long song'
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    yeah yeah, someone in another thread used the same arguement. and like i said in that thread ive been playing guitar for a few years so my opinion is also vaild. just cause a book says this is how its done doesnt mean crap. i have yet to hear one song that shows theyre great musicians. not that being a great musician means you can write great or even good songs. but these guys are neither great musician or write great songs.

and ill say it again this band is just like tool, in their approach. and their fans seem much like tool fans too. 'if you dont like it your obviously a moron that wouldnt know gods if they played boring 20 minute long song'

whether or not they are considered great musicians is obviously a moot point... Their Musical Compositions are shear genius, I don't think it can be argued that Sigur Ros is a tight band and genius musical composers.

Thinking outside the box and not composing verse chorus verse songs is their specialty. It's all about the melody baby....don't go hating on Sigur Ros.
    the Minions

im no tool fan... but i know a tool when i see one :p

i agree with strangest tribe that their compositions are hypnotically brilliant!

• Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
    i just heard theyre gonna be at the chicago theater on sept. 24th!!! :D

I wish you guys could have seen them at Bonnaroo. Perhaps some of you did. I got to meet Jonsie and Kjarri and some of the marching band guys after the show by the fence outside the tent. They went back out to take another bow and the crowd kept chanting "play some more..." and the band was wanting to go back out, they were awestruck by the response they got and all giddy like little kids, they kept clapping and laughing and were overjoyed by the evening's response even though they had trouble with one of the organs at the start of the set. Bonnaroo staff wouldn't let them go back out (for some reason), even though there wasn't another act scheduled there until Sunday afternoon. They played for 20 minutes beyond their allotted time slot...

It was funny because my wife and I got to meet them because after their final bow they all snuck around to the fence where we were standing and were sneaking peeks at the crowd. They couldn't believe the people were still applauding a good 5 minutes after the house lights went up.
    the Minions
    I wish you guys could have seen them at Bonnaroo. Perhaps some of you did. I got to meet Jonsie and Kjarri and some of the marching band guys after the show by the fence outside the tent. They went back out to take another bow and the crowd kept chanting "play some more..." and the band was wanting to go back out, they were awestruck by the response they got and all giddy like little kids, they kept clapping and laughing and were overjoyed by the evening's response even though they had trouble with one of the organs at the start of the set. Bonnaroo staff wouldn't let them go back out (for some reason), even though there wasn't another act scheduled there until Sunday afternoon. They played for 20 minutes beyond their allotted time slot...
    just curious... as far as the whole idea of the thread... when you met them did they speak decent english? they probably know it

and thats great to hear that they appreciated the response they got! so many bands have such an ego and seem to just expect that energy... they probably expected the crowd to be thinking "why dont they speak english??" :rolleyes:

sgossard3 wrote:
    just curious... as far as the whole idea of the thread... when you met them did they speak decent english? they probably know it

and thats great to hear that they appreciated the response they got! so many bands have such an ego and seem to just expect that energy... they probably expected the crowd to be thinking "why dont they speak english??" :rolleyes:

they speak english pretty well... they were all talking to each other in Icelandic so I didn't understand the conversation b/t the band members... but when I asked Jonsie why they couldn't encore, I'm not sure "encore" translated or maybe we were just all caught up in the moment...he pointed at a staffer in a yellow shirt and said "says outta time..." or something to that effect...we talked about the new album and I got autographs on my Roo tickets...no pictures though because our cell phone crapped out on us earlier in the day and needed charging :(

They were the most obliging and humble group of performers I've ever met.
    the Minions
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Yes, but it doesn't have to be english... I'm just saying it would be nice for everyone to understand everything anyone else says... Universal language or way of communicating...
    http://esperanto.net/

never really caught on.
  • yeah yeah, someone in another thread used the same arguement. and like i said in that thread ive been playing guitar for a few years so my opinion is also vaild. just cause a book says this is how its done doesnt mean crap. i have yet to hear one song that shows theyre great musicians. not that being a great musician means you can write great or even good songs. but these guys are neither great musician or write great songs.

You've been playing guitar for a few years, so you think your point is valid? That's nothing - frankly, you playing guitar for a few years doesn't do shit in giving you a valid opinion. Your knowledge of music theory & composition & harmony would give you a valid opinion. Can you even read music?

And it's not a "book that says how it's done". When it comes to music, you are a moron. I'm not saying you're a moron in everyday life, etc.. But when it comes to music you are. Music Theory is something that has been developing since Greece - it has gone through various stages since then - THEN it was put down in "a book" in a very, very limited way. Go take a music theory class & you'll get more than you can handle of shit that you most likely wouldn't read in even the most popular music theory books (unless they're very expensive college books).

Like I said, I don't know if you're an idiot in other areas of life - but in music, you are.

There are also many more people that would argue Sigur Ros are great musicians, & do write great songs. Most people wouldn't even care enough to argue against that - a lot of people would be wise enough to admit it's just not their "thing" - you aren't that wise, unfortunately for you & the people who have to put up with your uneducated opinions.
    You've been playing guitar for a few years, so you think your point is valid? That's nothing - frankly, you playing guitar for a few years doesn't do shit in giving you a valid opinion. Your knowledge of music theory & composition & harmony would give you a valid opinion. Can you even read music?

And it's not a "book that says how it's done". When it comes to music, you are a moron. I'm not saying you're a moron in everyday life, etc.. But when it comes to music you are. Music Theory is something that has been developing since Greece - it has gone through various stages since then - THEN it was put down in "a book" in a very, very limited way. Go take a music theory class & you'll get more than you can handle of shit that you most likely wouldn't read in even the most popular music theory books (unless they're very expensive college books).

Like I said, I don't know if you're an idiot in other areas of life - but in music, you are.

There are also many more people that would argue Sigur Ros are great musicians, & do write great songs. Most people wouldn't even care enough to argue against that - a lot of people would be wise enough to admit it's just not their "thing" - you aren't that wise, unfortunately for you & the people who have to put up with your uneducated opinions.
    in his defense... he can probably play the entire jack johnson catelogue via tablature ;)

well put though!

• lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    hmmm...if common language is needed for you to communicate and interact with music, that's a freakin' shaaaaame

Some more non-English stuff that totally rules:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t_GgowniQWk
    another favorite non-english musician:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-M-bZ1tbHw8

:D

• Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    NO!!!

Are you insane? :eek:
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    Nobody can even understand WTF he is even saying... That is what turns me off to most of their music... it has good emotion but it means nothing to me in any way... and its not even beautiful (just the language, Not the music)... at some parts the language actually sounds kind of nasty with the german "ch" sound

I'm sure people from Iceland think that Pearl Jam would sound better if they sang in Icelandic instead of English.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Wouldn't it be better if everyone everywhere just spoke and sang in English?

Give it a handful more Republican administrations and your wish will be granted
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018

learned music theory or some when i learned guitar, then took some in college for my electives, so does that count now, mister or misses all high and mighty? so im not an idiot in music but you are an idiot when it comes to judging people. a by a few years thats alittle over 10, which i think is a few, when it comes to playing.

and honestly more people would agree with me that its crap, not that the majority knows anything about music, but id be willing to bet over 50% of people would find their music boring. outside of the western world their music would be laughed at or shunned, whichever. so dont act like its some godly music that all people would find it divine when they hear it. if i had the tolerance for their music id like to 'see' how technical it is, cause it sure sounds boring and simple. but im not gonna figure out how to play their songs just to prove that i think its lame. maybe ill google some tabs or something later.

and music theory is just that a theory.....its not a science. so anyone that thinks music theory is worth much of anything is a moron. theory is just something to mess with.

and let me just try to get this straight youre saying my opinion isnt valid cause i dont meet your requirements, what about all the people that do like this band, they would have to exceed what i know about music before their opinion would be worth anything too, right? so anyone thats never played and instrument.....they dont count, right? what do they know about music?

or if people agree with you, they dont need to know the difference between a flute or a cello......

lets be fair in accepting people opinions. see how qualified everyone else is about music that like this band? if everyone that says this band is great is some symphony composer, ill bow out....but if like most music fans they cant even play a major scale ill stand by what i think. overrated....
    It's just a band that makes music... there's no need for such overzealous arguments.

If you don't like their music.... so be it.... who cares???? Maybe your mom cares about your opinion.

Oh well
    the Minions