Wouldn't Sigur Ros be 50 times better if they sang in English?

13»

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    It's just a band that makes music... there's no need for such overzealous arguments.

If you don't like their music.... so be it.... who cares???? Maybe your mom cares about your opinion.

Oh well
    the Minions
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    lol wow, I'm amazed how heated these debates get over why someone does or does not like a band. Personally, I've given Sigur Ros multiple tries and realized they're just not my thing. However, a lot of people whose musical tastes are very similar to mine rank them as one of their favorite bands. Their music touches a lot of people and makes them feel something inside, and that's really what it's all about. There's millions of bands out there, don't waste your time bashing a band whose music does nothing for you, and on the flip side don't tell others they "don't get it" or you "feel bad for them" if they don't enjoy a band that you like. Enjoy the music you love and leave the rest behind...life's a garden, dig it.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    AlBorland wrote:
    lol wow, I'm amazed how heated these debates get over why someone does or does not like a band. Personally, I've given Sigur Ros multiple tries and realized they're just not my thing. However, a lot of people whose musical tastes are very similar to mine rank them as one of their favorite bands. Their music touches a lot of people and makes them feel something inside, and that's really what it's all about. There's millions of bands out there, don't waste your time bashing a band whose music does nothing for you, and on the flip side don't tell others they "don't get it" or you "feel bad for them" if they don't enjoy a band that you like. Enjoy the music you love and leave the rest behind...life's a garden, dig it.

i agree with this. if you like it thats cool and if it touchs something deep than the band is something special to someone. but dont try to say that they reason they are so magical is cause they are like the next mozart. their music is simple, they are even discribed as minimalist, which i can respect that. some of my favorite songs are two chords, footsteps gets me everytime, that song is amazing to me. but to praise them as genius for touching emotions is kinda bogus. i bet somewhere someone has had creed mean alot to them, and i think we can all agree creed sucks, haha.

i can total respect people liking a band for the connection they get. but too often you hear "i like this band so they are the greatest at everything musical" people think kurts a great guitarist cause they like his songs, even though he's said that he cant even play.
  • and honestly more people would agree with me that its crap, not that the majority knows anything about music, but id be willing to bet over 50% of people would find their music boring. outside of the western world their music would be laughed at or shunned, whichever.

And this is true of HOW many of the bands you like?

I can't imagine many classical tabla, sitar, talking drum or djembe players would find Pearl Jam much to write home about. (And yes I've seen the version of Long Road with a tabla player.. that doesn't prove a thing.) Then again, many non-Western musicians wouldn't understand Mozart or Rachmaninoff either, so that argument doesn't mean a thing.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • And this is true of HOW many of the bands you like?

I can't imagine many classical tabla, sitar, talking drum or djembe players would find Pearl Jam much to write home about. (And yes I've seen the version of Long Road with a tabla player.. that doesn't prove a thing.) Then again, many non-Western musicians wouldn't understand Mozart or Rachmaninoff either, so that argument doesn't mean a thing.

Game. Set. Match.

(and for you internet junkies: PWNED.)
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    No ! Let the music speak for itself! It is so beautiful ! I only want to imagine what they sing about ! Please no englsih Sigur Ros songs for me. And i don´t think everything needs and explanation understanding or has to make sense. Just let it be as it is. I love it that way. Peace.
  • SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    I don't understand any words in Sigur Ros' stuff, but the words I hear and how they're sung with the beautiful music ... I can't describe it. I love it.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have been kind of thinking about it and although i think i would love them even more if they had great lyrics i do enjoy them a lot how they are and I can see how they utilizethe vocals and harmonies as almost another instrument.

For those of you who accept that and love Sigur Ros exactly how they are do you give bands on the oppisite end of the spectrum from this music the same chance?

I see sigor ros exactly how i see metal bands like opeth, mastodon, meshuggah, high on fire, and others. Except it is the oppisite end of the spectrum. In metal the vocals are brutal and used as an instrument as well just a more harsh instrument.

I just wanted to throw that out there for so many on this board who tend to dismiss Metal because of the vocals. to me it is the same thing he musicianship for the good bands are top notch. A big distractor for many is the vocal delivery.

Perhaps that analagy may help some of those saying how much they love sigur ros that for some people they just can't get past lyrics and vocals.

Just a thought.

Bottom line Sigur Ros is an awesome band ESPCIALLY live.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • lazygun_99lazygun_99 Posts: 73
    Having looked at that link posted a few pages back it turns out that I would probarbly like the band less if they sung in English.
  • lazygun_99 wrote:
    Having looked at that link posted a few pages back it turns out that I would probarbly like the band less if they sung in English.

yeah, the songs are about weird stuff like chasing a rainbow over a hill and playing in a mud puddle.
  • inmytree1380inmytree1380 Posts: 155
    sgossard3 wrote:
    its not even like its pure icelandic theyre singing in... from what i understand they even take liberties with their own language... dr. suessian type shit... so its more about the audio experience and less about you or anyone else understanding it

personally i like it... i cant fall asleep to music with clear lyrics cause i get too caught up listening and interpretting and shit... with sigur ros i just turn it on and relax so easily

im a fan of italian opera and shit though... so i can care less if i understand something... as long as i like the sounds

Yeah, my dad listens to them a lot and he and I watched their clip from Bonnaroo on Fuse-TV, and he told me that what he sings is like pig Latin but in whatever language Icelanders speak. Is it Icelandic? I don't know to be honest.
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • Yeah, my dad listens to them a lot and he and I watched their clip from Bonnaroo on Fuse-TV, and he told me that what he sings is like pig Latin but in whatever language Icelanders speak. Is it Icelandic? I don't know to be honest.

on a couple albums it was a icelandic/jibberish mix he created called "hopelandish"

i think starting with TAKK he started singing totally in Icelandic though.
  • lazygun_99lazygun_99 Posts: 73
    So I heard Eddie Vedder sings in his own hybrid version of English in which merges pure English with 'mutterings' and 'mumbles' particuarly noticeable on the bands live releases.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    i agree with this. if you like it thats cool and if it touchs something deep than the band is something special to someone. but dont try to say that they reason they are so magical is cause they are like the next mozart. their music is simple, they are even discribed as minimalist, which i can respect that. some of my favorite songs are two chords, footsteps gets me everytime, that song is amazing to me. but to praise them as genius for touching emotions is kinda bogus. i bet somewhere someone has had creed mean alot to them, and i think we can all agree creed sucks, haha.

i can total respect people liking a band for the connection they get. but too often you hear "i like this band so they are the greatest at everything musical" people think kurts a great guitarist cause they like his songs, even though he's said that he cant even play.

If you watch their DVD Heima you'll kinda understand the obsession some fans have with the band.
    There's a lot of insight on that video to how the band functions.

On the matter of musicianship, I recall a scene from the video where one of the guys is standing on a mound of stones. He's picking up various flat stones and "tapping" on them with a mallet to hear the tone each stone produces. After a while.... he assembles all the chosen stones into a really neat percussion instrument similar to a xylophone. Then they play a song with the "rock xylophone" and the tone is amazing.

So I'd say they are pretty amazing with their musicianship and their ability to compose some beautiful melodies.

And I'm a musician also.... "anyone can play guitar"....
    Isn't that a Radiohead song?
    the Minions
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    lets be fair in accepting people opinions. see how qualified everyone else is about music that like this band? if everyone that says this band is great is some symphony composer, ill bow out....but if like most music fans they cant even play a major scale ill stand by what i think. overrated....
    I like sigur ros. And I can play my minor and major scales ;)
    btw : the complexity of a song doesn't mean much, I find most shredders incredibly boring.
    To add to what a poster said before on the music being appreciated by other cultures than the western one, congratulations : you just proved that people have different musical tastes depending on what they listen.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    just got my tickets to see them at the chicago theater this september!!! that gives them a few months to master the simple language of English... cant wait :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    They'd be better if they turned into small gnomes. That's just my opinion.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Wouldn't music be better if people were free to do what they want without people saying "so what if you're not english, music that's not in english is worthless"?

I think so.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"