Intellegent Rock/Indie/Alternative?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Since I have completely stopped listening to grunge (not because I am opposed to do so, but because I just got tired of it) I have been trying to find really complex music. Something to make my mind work. So far I have enjoyed...

Modest Mouse
Radiohead
Tool
Iron & Wine

I like bands that are an acquired taste and then will last me virtually unlimited plays. Recommend some just all around good bands that are not as popular as the ones listed... some under appreciated bands... something I haven't heard of... I NEED NEW MUSIC! Thanks a lot
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The Shins
    Wilco
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    The Shins
    Wilco

Dang, those two bands are prolly also in my top ten... I need something a little more un-heard of
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    try tripping daisy's 1998 album jesus hits like the atom bomb. think flaming lips with bigger guitars. one of my favourite albums of all time, hard one to track down these days though.

here's a little review from allmusic.com:

Tripping Daisy's first two albums were written off as average post-grunge alt-rock records, which may make the presence of Eric Drew Feldman — a former member of Pere Ubu and a colleague of both Captain Beefheart and Frank Black — as a producer and keyboardist a little puzzling to the group's detractors. After all, Tripping Daisy was supposed to be in it for the cash and fame, not art, but critics may have to change their tune after listening to the Daisy's third album, Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb. The band has made a big stylistic breakthrough, enhancing the psychedelic subtext that ran through their first two records, retaining their melodic sensibility and jacking up their weirdness quotient, thanks to Feldman. Although there are a few times where their ambitions outweigh their achievements, the entire result is an impressive record that balances punk-pop with art-rock. It's a smart, ambitious and successful album that may come as a surprise, not only for the doubters but for hardcore fans, since nothing they've done before suggests the power of Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb. (Also, it's nice that Tripping Daisy paid tribute to the great, underappreciated indie-rock band Brainiac and its tragically departed leader Tim Taylor by covering "Indian Poker" — it, like the rest of the album, shows that their hearts are in the right place.)

definitely check it out, rewards repeat listens. highlights are waited a light year, sonic bloom, our drive to the sun, tiny men, could list more. all killer no filler.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    If it's intelligent rock you're looking for, you might enjoy the following. Some of these are definitely an aquired taste, but if you give 'em a chance, I guarantee your mind will be blown after repeated listening.

The Tragically Hip
    The Weakerthans
    Wintersleep
    The Constantines
    The National
    Kathleen Edwards
    Cuff the Duke
    Drive-By Truckers
    Tom Waits
    Sarah Harmer
    Rheostatics
    Matthew Good
    The Hold Steady
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    Try:

Dan Wilson - Wilson is the lead singer of on-off again Semisonic (of "Closing Time" fame). His solo stuff has really intelligent lyrics. Check out his song "Free Life" and others at myspace

Fugazi - true "alternative" band. most consider them punk, but they're unlabel-able. smart lyrics about sociopolitical issues, GREAT music. without them, might not be Nirvana (they heavily influenced Pat Smear) or Rage Against the Machine.
    And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - indie band out of Austin since early 2000s I believe. I dig their stuff. they're an acquired taste.

The Dirtbombs - gritty garage rock out of Detroit with Mick Collins (legendary Detroit punkster of "The Gories" fame). There's no White Stripes without his influence. check them out at youtube.

Glen Philips (lead singer of Toad) - solo stuff features introspective/spiritual-type lyrics, pop music, border country. he takes an indie approach. really listenable.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Try:

Glen Philips (lead singer of Toad) - solo stuff features introspective/spiritual-type lyrics, pop music, border country. he takes an indie approach. really listenable.

This! Good stuff.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Mark Lanegan or The Gutter Twins.

Not sure if that's obscure enough.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • i'm not sure what intelligent rock is but you might like Broken Social Scene. their self titled and "broken social scene presents Kevin Drew" are pretty good , but took me awhile to get into. the Kevin Drew one has some songs that remind me of the last Radiohead album. Good music to have on at work.
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    Mark Lanegan or The Gutter Twins.

Not sure if that's obscure enough.

Always worth mentioning though, along with the Twilight Singers. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Manchester Orchestra

they opened for Modest Mouse last summer...quality stuff
    the Minions
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    animal collective
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    The National, Wintersleep, Eels, and Elliott Smith might be up your alley. Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky are great if you like instrumental music.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Arctic Monkeys
    Queens of the Stoneage
    Cold War Kids
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Clann Zú
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    iamsampj wrote:
    animal collective

Agreed
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Since I have completely stopped listening to grunge (not because I am opposed to do so, but because I just got tired of it) I have been trying to find really complex music. Something to make my mind work. So far I have enjoyed...

Modest Mouse
    Radiohead
    Tool
    Iron & Wine

I like bands that are an acquired taste and then will last me virtually unlimited plays. Recommend some just all around good bands that are not as popular as the ones listed... some under appreciated bands... something I haven't heard of... I NEED NEW MUSIC! Thanks a lot

Here are some indie rock suggestions-

-And You will Know us By the Trail of the Dead- Source Tags & Codes
    Don't get thrown off by their name they are not a metal band. Source Tags and Codes is a great album. Perhaps not as poetic or intriguing lyrics as say modest mouse but good enough with a great sound.

-Minus the Bear- Highly Refined Pirates
    Again the lyrics are not going to get confused for dylan lyrics. In fact they are toned down even more than trail of the dead. A lot of the lyrics are slightly sophomoric but I don't usually cringe too much. The music is very very good. They are almost a math rock indie band. The guitarist makes some very interesting sounds. The music has a poppy feel but is complicated enough that you don't feel like you are listening to a pop song. I love these guys.

-TV on the Radio- not sure which album to recommend they are both great
    bunch of guys who I think are going or were going to NYU for film degrees that started making music together. Lots of great harmonies and old school soul to them. Check out these two songs if nothing else: wolf like me & starring at the sun

Built to Spill- Live album
    This band and modest mouse get compared to each other a lot. Again not as good as Isaac’s lyrics but not many are that is a big draw for me to MM, but sonically very strong. The live album is the best one to get hooked on them i think. Then albums like perfect from now on & keep it like a secret

You may have heard of these bands they are not really "underground" some others you might enjoy:
    -Destroyer- Rubies (strong lyrics and a twinge of indie pop)
    -Neko Case- Fox Confessor Brings the Flood (alt countryish)
    -Dredg- (i forget the name of their album i love)
    -The Mars Volta- De Loused in the Comatorium (if you like complicated rock with time changes and mood swings these guys are incredible)

EDIT- I assume you have heard neutral milk hotel's album in an aeroplane over the sea...

If not that goes up to the top of the list. Check it out. It is kind of a concept album that revolves around how he thought Anne Frank must have felt.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    The Jimmy Cake - Spectre & Crown :)

65 days of static - The Fall Of Math

Architecture In Helsinki - Places Like This

Bell X1 - Flock (very upbeat, Talking Heads influences, dense indie rock, great lyrics)

Serena-Maneesh - (s/t)

all worth a listen too!
  • RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    intodeep wrote:
    Here are some indie rock suggestions-

Minus the Bear- Highly Refined Pirates

Again the lyrics are not going to get confused for dylan lyrics. In fact they are toned down even more than trail of the dead. A lot of the lyrics are slightly sophomoric but I don't usually cringe too much. The music is very very good. They are almost a math rock indie band. The guitarist makes some very interesting sounds. The music has a poppy feel but is complicated enough that you don't feel like you are listening to a pop song. I love these guys.

I'd like to agree 100% with you about Minus The Bear. I'd like to urge anyone to pick up 'Menos el Oso' By Minus The Bear. Great, great stuff.

Here's their Amazon page(USA), ya can check out song samples. The only tune I'm not in love with is the first tune, the rest are gold: http://www.amazon.com/Menos-el-Oso-Minus-Bear/dp/B000A2H84Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214835110&sr=8-2
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Everybody should listen to these amazing albums:

Clann Zu - Rua
    Website/Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/clannzu
    Released: 9 September 2003
    Genre: Alternative Rock
    File size: 78,13 MB
    Bitrate: ripped with EAC@320kbps VBR
    Track list:
    1. Words for Snow
    2. Five Thousand More
    3. Hope This Day
    4. All That You've Ever Known
    5. Everyday
    6. All the People Now
    7. Rí Rá
    8. Lights Below
    9. Crashing to the Floor
    10. You're Listening to a Dead Man Speak

http://rapidshare.com/files/107232628/CZrua.rar
    pass: dijeli.org

Clann Zu - Black Coats & Bandages
    Released: 1 June 2004
    File size: 75,00 MB
    Track list:
    1. Black Coats & Bandages
    2. There Will Be No Morning Copy
    3. So Complicated Was the Fall
    4. An T-Éan Bán
    5. One Bedroom Apartment
    6. From an Unholy Height
    7. Án Deirdreadh Scéal
    8. From Bethlehem to Jenin
    9. You'll Have to Swim
    10. A Sudden Intake of Breath

http://rapidshare.com/files/107245015/coats_bandages.rar
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    a HUGE hell yes on this one.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Biffy Clyro
    Sigur Ros
    Tom Waits
    Scott Matthews
    My Bloody Valentine
    Jim Noir
    The National

not really sure if any of these are appropriate though.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Everybody should listen to these amazing albums:

Clann Zu - Rua
    Released: 9 September 2003
    File size: 78,13 MB
    Track list:
    1. Words for Snow
    2. Five Thousand More
    3. Hope This Day
    4. All That You've Ever Known
    5. Everyday
    6. All the People Now
    7. Rí Rá
    8. Lights Below
    9. Crashing to the Floor
    10. You're Listening to a Dead Man Speak

http://rapidshare.com/files/107232628/CZrua.rar

Released: 1 June 2004
    File size: 75,00 MB
    Track list:
    1. Black Coats & Bandages
    2. There Will Be No Morning Copy
    3. So Complicated Was the Fall
    4. An T-Éan Bán
    5. One Bedroom Apartment
    6. From an Unholy Height
    7. Án Deirdreadh Scéal
    8. From Bethlehem to Jenin
    9. You'll Have to Swim
    10. A Sudden Intake of Breath

http://rapidshare.com/files/107245015/coats_bandages.rar

nice....surprised ive never even heard of this band!
  • Morphine!
    I know they don't really fall into the complex category but they are NOT grunge and you will fucking love them.

Band members

* Mark Sandman - 2-string slide bass, vocals, organ, tritar (3-string slide guitar), guitar, piano
    * Dana Colley - baritone sax, tenor sax, double sax, triangle
    * Billy Conway - various percussion (1993-1999)
    * Jerome Deupree - various percussion (1989-1993; 1998-1999)

Morphine's instrumentation was quite unusual: Sandman's primary instrument was a two-string bass guitar (with both strings usually tuned to a 5th or octave interval) played with a slide (though on the group's records he added touches of guitar, piano, electronic organ, and other self invented guitar instruments such as tritar (three stringed guitar). Colley played primarily baritone saxophone, along with soprano or tenor saxes, and the rare bass saxophone, and he sometimes played two saxes at once, a la Roland Kirk; he also played occasional percussion, and Dobro on a B-side.

Other bands to check out:
    Hum - one of the best non-"grunge" bands of the 90's!, very layered sonic textures
    Failure - spacey rock, very textured sound also
    Low - very minimalist arrangements, guitar, bass and drums, male and female vocalists
    Lake Trout - new age jazz with rock tendencies
    Muse - everyone calls them "Radiohead rip-offs" but they are their own band. I love the incorporation of piano in their music.

Those bands are very awesome and, even if they don't fall in line with what you are looking for, if you give them a chance you'll like them.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Archers of Loaf
    Jets to Brazil
    Gomez
    Bear Vs. Shark
    Cursive
    Pinback

all come to mind
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Definitely check out The National.
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Archers of Loaf
    Glad to see some lover for the Archers.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • The Mars Volta
  • Morphine!
    I know they don't really fall into the complex category but they are NOT grunge and you will fucking love them.

Band members

* Mark Sandman - 2-string slide bass, vocals, organ, tritar (3-string slide guitar), guitar, piano
    * Dana Colley - baritone sax, tenor sax, double sax, triangle
    * Billy Conway - various percussion (1993-1999)
    * Jerome Deupree - various percussion (1989-1993; 1998-1999)

Morphine's instrumentation was quite unusual: Sandman's primary instrument was a two-string bass guitar (with both strings usually tuned to a 5th or octave interval) played with a slide (though on the group's records he added touches of guitar, piano, electronic organ, and other self invented guitar instruments such as tritar (three stringed guitar). Colley played primarily baritone saxophone, along with soprano or tenor saxes, and the rare bass saxophone, and he sometimes played two saxes at once, a la Roland Kirk; he also played occasional percussion, and Dobro on a B-side.

Other bands to check out:
    Hum - one of the best non-"grunge" bands of the 90's!, very layered sonic textures
    Failure - spacey rock, very textured sound also
    Low - very minimalist arrangements, guitar, bass and drums, male and female vocalists
    Lake Trout - new age jazz with rock tendencies
    Muse - everyone calls them "Radiohead rip-offs" but they are their own band. I love the incorporation of piano in their music.

Those bands are very awesome and, even if they don't fall in line with what you are looking for, if you give them a chance you'll like them.

I second Hum...they are amazing! It's been too long since I pulled them out, actually.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    gleemonex wrote:
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor... are great if you like instrumental music.
    This, because they're the best band in the world.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"