Best Albums of 2008?

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I think there has been some GREAT music so far in 2008... here are my three favorites... please share you favorites as well.

1. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
2. Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow and Blue
3. Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Hasnt been anything good so far in my opinion
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    There's your winner....great, great, great album.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • In my opinion MGMT - Oracular Spectacular is on par with the greats of 2007 (The Shepperd's Dog, We Were Dead before... ). This CD is so fuckin good
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    lots of great stuff already this year....and it's only March!!!!!! (thanks Brandi ;))

Hayden - In Field and Town (my fav so far)
    The Magnetic Fields - Distortion (my 2nd fav so far)
    Destroyer - Trouble In Dreams
    Nada Surf - Lucky
    Jason Collett - Here's To Being Here
    Chris Walla - Field Music
    Cat Power - Juke Box
    Vampire Weekend - s/t
    The Charlatans - You Cross My Path
    Born Ruffians - Red, Yellow & Blue
    Hello, Blue Roses - The Portrait Is Finished And I Have Failed To Capture Your Beauty
    Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus
    Sia - Some People Have Real Problems

REALLY looking forward to hearing: REM, Stephen Malkmus, the Breeders, Kathleen Edwards, Tapes 'N Tapes, A Silver Mt Zion.......
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I like the Drive-by Truckers album a lot, but it has a few too many songs I don't like . . .

I currently have the new Kathleen Edwards sitting on my desk, waiting for its first play. I'm anticipating something great there.

Aside from those, I really want Gary Louris' solo record, and I'm probably going to get Tift Merrit's album this weekend. I could name a good 5 to 10 more I'm curious about. And then there are the albums that haven't come out yet . . .

Not bad considering we're still in the first half of March!
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    1) The Black Keys
    2) Nada Surf
    3) Stephen Malkmus
    4) Magnetic Fields
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig

R.E.M.
    The Black Keys
    The Mountain Goats
    Cat Power
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    So far:

Kathleen Edwards- Asking for Flowers (my early pick for album of the year)
    Drive-By Truckers- Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    The Black Crowes- Warpaint
    Hayden- In Field & Town
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ComfisComfis Posts: 117
    have to wait more before i declare my 2008 favs
    My choice for Radiohead News is InRadiobows.com
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Mike Patton's "A Perfect Place" soundtrack is pretty amazing. It's a lot of instrumental music that includes big band, jazz, noise, and even an operatic piece. It's all composed by him and he sings on all the tracks with vocals. The operatic piece really blew me away. He's one of the best and most underrated vocalists in music.

http://unduhlagu.blogspot.com/2008/02/mike-patton-perfect-place-ost-2008.html
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    mbangel10 wrote:
    Mike Patton's "A Perfect Place" soundtrack is pretty amazing. It's a lot of instrumental music that includes big band, jazz, noise, and even an operatic piece. It's all composed by him and he sings on all the tracks with vocals. The operatic piece really blew me away. He's one of the best and most underrated vocalists in music.

THANK YOU for sharing!!!!!

I am obtaining this album as we speak......very excited - cant wait to hear it

I LOVE Mr Patton.....definitely one of the most talented/diverse vocalists of our generation
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Todd76 wrote:
    THANK YOU for sharing!!!!!

I am obtaining this album as we speak......very excited - cant wait to hear it

I LOVE Mr Patton.....definitely one of the most talented/diverse vocalists of our generation

You're welcome :)

It's nice to see another Pattonite on this board!
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Matt LukinMatt Lukin Posts: 647
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
    Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!
    Times New Viking - Rip It Off
    A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Sawyer wrote:

2.)Sigur Ros- Hvarf Heim

Dude you are SOOOOO... 2007

1. Black Mountain - in the future

That's it thus far, but there'll be more for sure once i hear 'em. MMJ, boris, SMalk
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Hasnt been anything good so far in my opinion

well i mean its march
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    well i mean its march

Still, usually there would be at least something I like a bit. Doesnt seem to be any release dates yet either so the next few months should be pretty bad as well.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • So far:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
    Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
    Jonny Greenwood - There Will Be Blood OST
    The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

Albums I'm REALLY looking forward to:

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
    Deftones - Eros
    dredg - TBA
    GlassJaw - TBA
    Weezer - TBA
    I want to amend my earlier statement by officially stating that Asking for Flowers by Kathleen Edwards is my favorite album of 2008 so far.

I also must add that I'm excited to hear Jay Farrar's work on the soundtrack to the upcoming Jack Kerouac documentary (though I'm not so sure I like to idea of Mr. Deathcab for Cutie's involvement - but I'll wait and see before passing judgment).
    soclose wrote:
    I want to amend my earlier statement by officially stating that Asking for Flowers by Kathleen Edwards is my favorite album of 2008 so far.

Isn't it brilliant? She just keeps getting better with each album. I can't stop listening to it. My favorites so far:

Buffalo
    Oil Man's War
    Sure as Shit
    Oh Canada (this song kicks my ass)
    Scared at Night
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    mbangel10 wrote:

Totally forgot about this...just noticed it's being released with the DVD on Tuesday.

So far...

1. The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    2. Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw
    3. Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    4. The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath
    5. The Black Crowes - Warpaint
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Isn't it brilliant? She just keeps getting better with each album. I can't stop listening to it. My favorites so far:

Buffalo
    Oil Man's War
    Sure as Shit
    Oh Canada (this song kicks my ass)
    Scared at Night

I absolutely love her. Every song on that album is fantastic. I think "Alicia Ross" and "Buffalo" are my favorites so far.

I can't quite place what it is that makes her stand out for me. She doesn't exactly do anything innovative, but I can't get enough anyway!. All three of the albums are simply solid, satisfying records.
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    im really pumped about the new Chris Rea LP and of course the Dire Straits Compendium.........
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Drive-By Truckers - Brighter Than Creation's Dark
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
    Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw
    Madrugada - Madrugada
    The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Sunday at Devil Dirt
    The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath
    A Silver Mt. Zion - 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons

WOW, great year so far
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    it will be the new my morning jacket album when it is released.
    soclose wrote:
    I absolutely love her. Every song on that album is fantastic. I think "Alicia Ross" and "Buffalo" are my favorites so far.

I can't quite place what it is that makes her stand out for me. She doesn't exactly do anything innovative, but I can't get enough anyway!. All three of the albums are simply solid, satisfying records.

The thing is, you don't have to be innovative to be great. Sure she's treading familiar alt-country/folk-rock territory, but I think what makes her so awesome is that she's just a damn good fuckin' songwriter, plain and simple. Great lyrics, gorgeous melodies, and insanely catchy hooks. She's also got a bit of an edge to her that many female singer/songwriter types don't have. Ever seen her live? The woman knows how to rock, and her band kicks ass.

-Tom Waits
    direwolf74 wrote:
    The thing is, you don't have to be innovative to be great. Sure she's treading familiar alt-country/folk-rock territory, but I think what makes her so awesome is that she's just a damn good fuckin' songwriter, plain and simple.

I actually agree completely. A huge amount of the music I listen to fits into the folk-rock category, and the thing I appreciate most about this music is that it's all about a great song and a strong delivery. There's no need to hide behind crazy instrumentation or a highly stylized image. I mentioned Jay Farrar in my earlier post - he's the perfect example of what I really love about the genre. Just play me a good song and go along on your own business. That's all I need.

And I haven't seen Kathleen live (other than Austin City Limits on TV, but I know that's not the same). I'd love to if I ever get the chance.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Gutter Twins
    Mars Volta
    Black Crowes
    Black Mountain

very much looking forward to the Black Keys, Eric Avery's new solo album, and new Blind Melon.

I'm going to be very surprised if anything beats Gutter Twins for me though. I really love that record.