Consolers of the Lonely

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited April 2008 in Other Music
For those of you that heard it so far... what do you think? I think its good but kind of the same old for The Raconteurs. I love Salute Your Solution, and Carolina Drama. There are a lot of Mediocre tracks on here though. I don't think it is as good as their previous album.

Heres my top 5:

1. Salute Your Solution
2. Carolina Drama
3. Consoler of the Lonely
4. Top Yourself
5. Five on the Five

Spelling Mistake its actually "Consoler of the lonely" lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• THE BANDTHE BAND Posts: 83
    It's way better then the radio! Some parts sound familiar to the last white stripes but still rocks.
  • it definitely ROCKS!
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    im two songs in but, shit this rules....cant wait to see jack do his thing
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    For those of you that heard it so far... what do you think? I think its good but kind of the same old for The Raconteurs. I love Salute Your Solution, and Carolina Drama. There are a lot of Mediocre tracks on here though. I don't think it is as good as their previous album.

Heres my top 5:

1. Salute Your Solution
    2. Carolina Drama
    3. Consoler of the Lonely
    4. Top Yourself
    5. Five on the Five

Spelling Mistake its actually "Consoler of the lonely" lol

I agree. It's a decent album, but alot of it is very derivative of old Raconteurs and White Stripes. I do like this album better than BBS in terms
    of production, however. My favorite tracks are Carolina Drama, Consolers of the Lonely, Hold Up, Attention, and Five on the Five.
  • SlowFadeSlowFade Posts: 75
    hold up = song that pearl jam should have wrote......
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    I think it's amazing. I actually don't think it's all that derivative of the first Raconteurs album at all. I mean, it sounds similar in that it's still Jack White, and he definitely has his own sound, but this album is all over the place. I love the way some songs start out in one genre, and then twist and weave into a couple different genres. There's tons of layers and textures on this one. I think it's great.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • RockKing wrote:
    I think it's amazing. I actually don't think it's all that derivative of the first Raconteurs album at all. I mean, it sounds similar in that it's still Jack White, and he definitely has his own sound, but this album is all over the place. I love the way some songs start out in one genre, and then twist and weave into a couple different genres. There's tons of layers and textures on this one. I think it's great.

I kinda like how they weave... but sometimes they'll have something really good sounding then just come up and ruin it with pure mayhem kinda like in the icky thump single... they have that awesome singing part... then the come in with just nonsense instrumentals in the middle..
    Ehhhh...I don't find the album weaving in and otu of genres much AT ALL. Maybe on the first track and a couple more, but most stick to that standard rock song format and nothing more than simple guitar lines.

Still, it's decent.
  • I agree. It's a decent album, but alot of it is very derivative of old Raconteurs and White Stripes. I do like this album better than BBS in terms
    of production, however. My favorite tracks are Carolina Drama, Consolers of the Lonely, Hold Up, Attention, and Five on the Five.

wow... how can you not have salute your solution in your top five? its prolly the best work jack put out since the denial twist...
    its bound for an ipod commercial hahah
    Ehhhh...I don't find the album weaving in and otu of genres much AT ALL. Maybe on the first track and a couple more, but most stick to that standard rock song format and nothing more than simple guitar lines.

Still, it's decent.

Um...ok.

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Ehhhh...I don't find the album weaving in and otu of genres much AT ALL. Maybe on the first track and a couple more, but most stick to that standard rock song format and nothing more than simple guitar lines.

Still, it's decent.

yeah its not so much genres then sudden changes in rhythm and tune... almost seems like totally different songs... like near the end of salute your solution they start the "despite you" part and it totally different.
    yeah its not so much genres then sudden changes in rhythm and tune... almost seems like totally different songs... like near the end of salute your solution they start the "despite you" part and it totally different.

Yeah, there's no rap or classical on here, excuse me. Perhaps if I say SUB-genres, you guys will better understand?

Anyway, anyone who's listened to this album can hear the melding of rock, blues, country, pseudo-big band, etc. (talking about the music itself, not the vocal melodies) Just listen to songs like Old Enough, The Switch and the Spur, These Stones Will Shout, and on and on. This album is everywhere. Some people may not like that, and that's fine. For me, I love it.

RockKing wrote:
    Yeah, there's no rap or classical on here, excuse me. Perhaps if I say SUB-genres, you guys will better understand?

Anyway, anyone who's listened to this album can hear the melding of rock, blues, country, pseudo-big band, etc. (talking about the music itself, not the vocal melodies) Just listen to songs like Old Enough, The Switch and the Spur, These Stones Will Shout, and on and on. This album is everywhere. Some people may not like that, and that's fine. For me, I love it.

Southern rock, blues, and country all sort of fit into the same mold, so I'm having trouble with what you're saying.

It's not like they combined Metal, jazz, blues, surf-rock, and pop like Mr. Bungle or something. The album isn't ground breaking in the least.

I think it's good. But I also think you are giving it far too much credit.
    Southern rock, blues, and country all sort of fit into the same mold, so I'm having trouble with what you're saying.

It's not like they combined Metal, jazz, blues, surf-rock, and pop like Mr. Bungle or something. The album isn't ground breaking in the least.

I think it's good. But I also think you are giving it far too much credit.

Hmmm.....don't recall when I said it was ground breaking. I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying. I just really like this album, and I like the way it blends genres (sorry, SUB-genres) and each song goes weaves into different eclectic parts. It is what it is.

• SkooledSkooled Posts: 147
    RockKing wrote:
    Hmmm.....don't recall when I said it was ground breaking. I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying. I just really like this album, and I like the way it blends genres (sorry, SUB-genres) and each song goes weaves into different eclectic parts. It is what it is.

I know exactly where you are coming from

One minute it will be a blues melody, than a country-ish sort of sound, than just break out into rock.

I love how all of the songs on the cd always have more than one melody so that if u don't like one part of the song then there is guaranteed to be another that you get hooked on. For me I like pretty much every song on the album

its one of the best of 2008

The switch and the spur is clearly the best song on this album, due to its epicness!
    Skooled wrote:
    I love how all of the songs on the cd always have more than one melody so that if u don't like one part of the song then there is guaranteed to be another that you get hooked on. For me I like pretty much every song on the album

See, that's exactly how I hear it as well, and that's what I love about it.

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    I did not dislike the first record...I like this one better.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm really really enjoying this album.. it's less immediate than the first one.. and thats not a bad or a good thing.. just an observation.

i love "salute your salution" which is going to be the first single i think.

i've not heard the last 4 tracks properly yet... just skimmed them last night... but it's a lovely sounding record.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • all i can say if a few good friends can knock this together over a few beers like you know they have...its special...

its a really good effort, good energy, nice work

five on five brought back the memories of hearing it back in 2006 at rock city

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    sick album
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • I have been waiting all day to listen to this. I am 2 songs in and it sounds very very good.
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    this album is blowing my fucking mind right now! It's bumped Brighter Than Creation's Dark from my "#1 in 2008" album title, and DBT is my fav band, so that's saying something. The end jam on You Don't Understand Me is a total orgasm for my soul... Ok, I might be guilty of some hyperbole here, but this album is fucking sick!
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    PS... Consoler of the Lonely is the tightest album opener this side of Life Wasted...
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Surprisingly good album, they really got their shit together after BBS, they are a lot tighter and the songs all feel related, a stark contrast to BBS.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I think it's a very solid album. I like it better than Broken Boy Soldiers. I'm really looking forward to seeing them at Bonnaroo! I don't think it's as good as any White Stripes album (other than Get Behind Me Satan which I thought was just ok) but it's better than almost anything you'll hear on radio. Another strong effort from Jack White and company. I'm ready for another White Stripes tour but that may not happen. This will have to suffice until then...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I know exactly where you are coming from

One minute it will be a blues melody, than a country-ish sort of sound, than just break out into rock.

its one of the best of 2008

The switch and the spur is clearly the best song on this album, due to its epicness!

agreed... as well Carolina Drama and You dont understand Me are standouts

and yeah im with you guys its amazing and one of the best albums of the year so far, so melodic and it just sounds classic and familiar instantly, im diggin it and cant wait to see them.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    "Hold Up" is such a fucking Pearl Jam song. I can even imagine Eddie singing the lyrics.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I still have yet to buy this cd, its been 15 dollars everywhere that I looked. Pretty dumb idea to only give a weeks notice about the release. I really do not get the point of doing that.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Cant get enough of this album.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”