when will tickets for R.E.M. go on sale?

2»

Comments

• rhinomagic wrote:
    Has R.E.M.'s North American audience become so insignificant that they would rather play 35 shows in Europe to only 15 shows in their hemisphere of origin?

This anti european sentiment every time a band choses to do a decent tour of Europe is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. I have never felt any annoyance at UK bands for doing extensive tours of the US or anywhere else in the world. I pleased that they have managed to build a fanbase around the world. Yet people see a list of dates for Europe, and they are like "what they fuck - they've not played pigfuck in <insert your home state here>" I've heard people say it about the Pumpkins, R.E.M., Chris Cornell and most annoying of all, Pearl Jam - who play roughly once every 8.5 years in my country.

Personally if I was in a band, I would look forward to playing in places I don't come from. Surely the first gig in a new city in a new country must be better than the 100th in <insert very boring US city here>.

Is there nothing else to vent your fury on in the US. Is everything that perfect?
  • This anti european sentiment every time a band choses to do a decent tour of Europe is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. I have never felt any annoyance at UK bands for doing extensive tours of the US or anywhere else in the world. I pleased that they have managed to build a fanbase around the world. Yet people see a list of dates for Europe, and they are like "what they fuck - they've not played pigfuck in <insert your home state here>" I've heard people say it about the Pumpkins, R.E.M., Chris Cornell and most annoying of all, Pearl Jam - who play roughly once every 8.5 years in my country.

Personally if I was in a band, I would look forward to playing in places I don't come from. Surely the first gig in a new city in a new country must be better than the 100th in <insert very boring US city here>.

Is there nothing else to vent your fury on in the US. Is everything that perfect?

I'm glad someone pointed this out. I've never understood this hostility towards Europe. You would think the Americans especially would have other things to be concerned with in their country.

When it comes to R.E.M., the fact that they seem to be a lot bigger here in Europe than they are back in the states should be reason enough for them to do fairly big tours over here. This is where they're going to make the most money, so it makes sense.

I think some people from the U.S. just automatically assume that because the band is american they deserve more shows than anywhere else, and i'm not sure i agree with that. Like you said, going away to new places must be much more exciting.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• I'm glad someone pointed this out. I've never understood this hostility towards Europe. You would think the Americans especially would have other things to be concerned with in their country.

When it comes to R.E.M., the fact that they seem to be a lot bigger here in Europe than they are back in the states should be reason enough for them to do fairly big tours over here. This is where they're going to make the most money, so it makes sense.

I think some people from the U.S. just automatically assume that because the band is american they deserve more shows than anywhere else, and i'm not sure i agree with that. Like you said, going away to new places must be much more exciting.

I got a bit carried away in my crusade:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5222070&postcount=11

• :):) you do a great impression of an american.

edit - not all americans are like this, just a small few :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Got my tickets for Southampton and Twickenham. Got a bit carried away I think!

Can't wait!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    This anti european sentiment every time a band choses to do a decent tour of Europe is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this board. I have never felt any annoyance at UK bands for doing extensive tours of the US or anywhere else in the world. I pleased that they have managed to build a fanbase around the world. Yet people see a list of dates for Europe, and they are like "what they fuck - they've not played pigfuck in <insert your home state here>" I've heard people say it about the Pumpkins, R.E.M., Chris Cornell and most annoying of all, Pearl Jam - who play roughly once every 8.5 years in my country.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. I've never understood this hostility towards Europe. You would think the Americans especially would have other things to be concerned with in their country.

How is there any "hostility" or "anti-European sentiment" in what I asked? I think it's a bit presumptuous of you to infer that.

I was merely asking why there is a discrepancy in the number of shows. I didn't make threats, call names, or express any anger regarding the facts. I just wanted to understand.

Not all of us know everything about the distribution of R.E.M.'s fanbase across the globe.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • It's true, they're much bigger over here these days. I remember the Cricket Ground in Manchester being sold out in 2005, which is about 40,000 if i'm not mistaken.

Hyde Park was a huuuuuuuge gig too, about 100,000.

good for them, thats crazy they can still pull those numbers in over there!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I don't get paid until Friday so i'm hoping i'll get a Manchester ticket when the general sale starts. What are the chances that they'll sell out quickly? I don't imagine i'll have much trouble snagging a pair.

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    SPIN REVIEW OF NEW REM (and yes they've HEARD it)

http://www.spin.com/reviews/rem-accelerate-warner-bros
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    when does the tickets for the U.S shows go on sale? I've heard nothing lately apart from the dates....
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Zoso wrote:
    when does the tickets for the U.S shows go on sale? I've heard nothing lately apart from the dates....

nobody does. they have had the dates out for over a month and havent announced when the tickets are gunna be on sale (or what new york venue they are gunna play for that matter). i am so frustrated cuz i have to budget my summer concert money, but R.E.M. are very high on my list of groups i want to see! this is fucking annoying!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    SPIN REVIEW OF NEW REM (and yes they've HEARD it)

http://www.spin.com/reviews/rem-accelerate-warner-bros
    mm...need to find it before I go to that Easter show ;)
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Pegasus wrote:
    :( fucking stadiums?

I'm glad I just scored 2 tix for the RAH then!! :D

there's choir seats NOW!!

Damn :( missed 'em

I have my Twickenham ticket but RAH will be soooooooooooooo good :o you and wash better give me a call :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    Mansfield is up on Live Nation now, goes on sale 4/5, hopefully the other shows will pop up soon:

http://www.livenation.com/search/intermediateSearch/searchstring/rem/
  • i get paid once a month, and my account is down to just enough to buy my tampa tickets tomorrow and get me through to next week, so hopefully rem fan club tickets don't go on sale till next monday--payday. it's crazy how long the presale has taken. I'm hearing that general public on sale is april 5, so the first week of april makes sense for the presale.
    I like bands.
  • jb13lettersjb13letters Posts: 220
    I'm hearing that general public on sale is april 5, so the first week of april makes sense for the presale.

That would be just my luck, since I'm out of town 3/31 through 4/3 with no access to a computer, that would pretty much blow my chance at getting fan club tickets. If that's what happens, maybe I'll be able to pick up presale tickets for Atlanta through their email list. Or I'll have to get my seats when they go on sale to the general public.

Damn it, I am NOT going to miss this tour!
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I was ALL ready to get REM tickets for Atlanta, then Pearl Jam announced they're playing MSG and those plans went to hell.

Why couldn't both bands play back-to-back nights in one venue? It would be so convenient for me. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I was ALL ready to get REM tickets for Atlanta, then Pearl Jam announced they're playing MSG and those plans went to hell.

Why couldn't both bands play back-to-back nights in one venue? It would be so convenient for me. ;)

ditto... i was already for philly than pj announce camden!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    VANCOUVER ON SALE

R.E.M.
    Deer Lake Park , Vancouver, BC
    Fri, May 23, 2008 04:30 PM
    CA $57.50

Onsale to General Public:
    Sat, 04/05/08 10:00 AM PDT

Internet Presale Info
    Live Nation Presale:
    Start:Wed, 04/02/08 10:00 AM PDT
    Radio Presale:
    Georgia Straight Pre: