Muse

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2008 in Other Music
does anyone else think this band is mindboggling?
name you favorite albums/songs or whatever else.
i really think this band is way too underrated in the states.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    In a word......yes.

So far Absolution is my fav as a total package but all of their music is absolute and abolutely extraordinary.

I saw them earlier this month in an arena and even that place seemed too small to contain them....their music and talent are just huge!

And Bellemy is an animal with a guitar in his hands.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Radiohe... oh wait nevermind.

I mean, I guess they're pretty good at ripping off Radiohead, I don't really care for them much myself but whatever.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    dharma69 wrote:
    In a word......yes.

So far Absolution is my fav as a total package but all of their music is absolute and abolutely extraordinary.

I saw them earlier this month in an arena and even that place seemed too small to contain them....their music and talent are just huge!

And Bellemy is an animal with a guitar in his hands.

I second your opinion.

Absolution is their masterpiece in my mind, but I also still enjoy Showbiz quite a bit and let's face it, all the albums are terrific.

Seeing them at Top Cats in Cincinnati (very small venue) was a highlight of my concert resume.

Saw them orignially back in 1999 I think when they opened for the Foo Fighters and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Dayton, OH. I was blown away, bought Showbiz the next day. They were the best band on that stage that night by far.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Radiohe... oh wait nevermind.

I mean, I guess they're pretty good at ripping off Radiohead, I don't really care for them much myself but whatever.

Yeah they sound just like Radiohead....er...wait, Muse actually plays ROCK music while radiohead bores the shit out of you and somehow has convinced the world that boring fucking music makes you cool.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i recommend origin of symmetry. its one of my favorite albums ever.

i honestly dont see the whole copying radiohead thing...i mean radiohead are an obvious influence but i wouldnt go and say that they copy them.
    i recommend origin of symmetry. its one of my favorite albums ever.

i honestly dont see the whole copying radiohead thing...i mean radiohead are an obvious influence but i wouldnt go and say that they copy them.

The 2 most overused statements by people that think they are the authority on music...

1) (Fill in the band) are sellouts.

2) (Fill in the band) are (Fill in the band) ripoffs.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Yeah they sound just like Radiohead....er...wait, Muse actually plays ROCK music while radiohead bores the shit out of you and somehow has convinced the world that boring fucking music makes you cool.
    radiohead is boring, and muse does a damn good job of copying that quality as well. I don't care if it's rock, rock can be just as boring as any genre and is a pretty broad definition, either way it still doesn't amuse me.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The 2 most overused statements by people that think they are the authority on music...

yah i know its annoying. if its good music, its good music.
  • The 2 most overused statements by people that think they are the authority on music...

You're forgetting the (insert band) is (insert genre here)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    radiohead is boring, and muse does a damn good job of copying that quality as well. I don't care if it's rock, rock can be just as boring as any genre and is a pretty broad definition, either way it still doesn't amuse me.

radiohead are not boring. and yeah sometimes matt bellamy gets that thom yorke thing going. but so what the fax machine is just a toaster with a waffle iron attached or something. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Yeah they sound just like Radiohead....er...wait, Muse actually plays ROCK music while radiohead bores the shit out of you and somehow has convinced the world that boring fucking music makes you cool.

Funny.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    radiohead are not boring. and yeah sometimes matt bellamy gets that thom yorke thing going. but so what the fax machine is just a toaster with a waffle iron attached or something. :D

That's a good point, sometimes Matthew and Thom's voices can be similar but they both sing falsetto, what do you expect? I think that's where people get this rip off idea. I'm a big fan of Muse and of Radiohead as a lot of people are and their styles are very different, on the albums and in concert. If those who think Muse are a Radiohead rip off would actually listen to some of either bands music they would see that.

Basically my point is any fan of Muse or Radiohead who has heard anything by the other can see how different they are.

Incidentally, Black Holes and Revelations has become my fav Muse album. Every song is fantastic but hearing Knights of Cydonia live in Dublin last year made me realise how brilliant it is and so it's currently my fav song. Really great show!
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Far from mind-boggling, and certainly not incredible on a musical or lyrical basis, they are one of the most interesting bands in the world. Their music for me has never been particularly outstanding, but the construction of the melodies, the falsetto vocals and unusual harmonies have been something I found to be individual. On the live front, they're something else. Rather than a live band they are more of an experience. If you ever get the chance to see 'em don't blow it off. The lights, fireworks, props and setup more than make up for some lacklusture tunes.

Showbiz was superb. Origin of Symmetry was better. Absolution for me was a slight letdown, and Black Holes I found shoddy. Still, they are a band for which studio material is irrelevant. They are not Radiohead, they are not Queen and they are not quite Spinal Tap; they've got a good thing going and although I cannot quite make up my mind on what I think of them as a band, they're certainly not ordinary and I urge you to dig deep into their output for a rather inspiring ride.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614

that is actually just a lazy comparison. i used to think the same until someone played me some of their stuff. you have to 'listen' to muse to get it and they rock harder than radiohead have done for quite some time.

each album has got progessively better, which can only be a good thing.

absolution is a very good album but by far their best is black hols and revelations. the breadth of music on that album is just stunning. from the almost pop of supermassive black hole to the heaviness of assassin and the lightness of a soldier's poem, the trumpet of city of delusion and the spanish flamenco of hoodoo every song offers something different.

and knights of cydonia is just amazing!

they are also an amazing band live. i was lucky enough to ssee them at wembley arena last november on the night they played citizen erased (not a song they play very often). they put on a superb show and are very talented musicians.

not everyone is going to get muse though. their music is complicated and not particularly easy listening. well worth the effort though.

apart from the black holes album favourite tracks include sunburn, muscle museum, new born, bliss, plug in baby, stockholm syndrome, butterflies and hurricanes and time is running out.
  • Seen them 3 times but they've never really excited me all that much as a live band; I must be the only person in the world.
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    I think they're fenomenal. I saw them in Vienna in december 06 and they blew me away. Must be one of the best live bands nowadays. Songs are incredible..amazing composment..I never thought I could like someone "new" so much..They gave me new hope..(for 21st century music that is).They truly are great musicians..I mean the way Matt plays piano, guitar and sings..he really is something :) As you can see..I like them a lot. :D
    Can't wait for the new album..they just make everybody else look so amateur.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Radiohe... oh wait nevermind.

Other than vocal similarity, I don't see your point. Radiohead is much more experimental and ambient, where Muse is progressive rock. If anything, they could be accused of ripping of Freddy Mercury and Queen.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • radiohead is boring, and muse does a damn good job of copying that quality as well. I don't care if it's rock, rock can be just as boring as any genre and is a pretty broad definition, either way it still doesn't amuse me.
    Heh. This coming from a My Chemical Romance fan...

• "Take a Bow" from Black Holes... that's my favorite. I love the build up, I love the lyrics, love the arpagiatted synth lines. They need to play this one for GWB.

• Brink wrote:
    Heh. This coming from a My Chemical Romance fan...
    Okay, this isn't irrelevant and off-topic at all...

So yeah, to wrap things up I find them similar to Radiohead and don't find them particularly interesting. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, I just don't like them.
  • Seen them 3 times but they've never really excited me all that much as a live band; I must be the only person in the world.

So if they weren't very exciting why did you see them 3 times?
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623

I never, ever, ever understood it when people said this. They sound absolutely nothing like Radiohead. For a start, they are entertaining.

My favourite album is Origin Of Symmetry, and some of my favourite tracks of theirs are Citizen Erased and Stockholme Syndrome.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    audiodave wrote:
    I never, ever, ever understood it when people said this. They sound absolutely nothing like Radiohead....
    Nothing like Radiohead at....all....

Nothing.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    Bottom line...

If you see Muse live and you have an open mind, you will at the very least enjoy yourself and at the most be blown away.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    They are fairly popular around here, Starlight is a great song
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I love the take that seems to be popular when somebody hates a band that somebody else loves. "Well you should see them live."

If they suck in the studio, why on earth would I think they're going to be good live? There's all kinds of cool tricks and effects in the studio to make them sound good.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    I love the take that seems to be popular when somebody hates a band that somebody else loves. "Well you should see them live."

If they suck in the studio, why on earth would I think they're going to be good live? There's all kinds of cool tricks and effects in the studio to make them sound good.

muse certainly don't suck in the studio and they are a great live band!
  • I love the take that seems to be popular when somebody hates a band that somebody else loves. "Well you should see them live."

Agreed. I'm one of the very few on here who's got hardly any Pearl Jam boots; if they don't win me in the studio, they don't win me. A live version of a song can make me appreciate a song more, but it couldn't make me like a song which was boring on CD (most of Muse's latest album, imo, although I did like the others).
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • A live version of a song can make me appreciate a song more, but it couldn't make me like a song which was boring on CD
    Their new single "Invincible" was probably my least favourite on the new album but after hearing it live I'm completely sold.. it's amazing, Matt's voice is getting better and this song totally fills the stadium and hits you in the chest.

No one has the authority to diss Muse until they've seen them live at one of their own shows ;) (festivals don't count) You feel like your standing inside the music, it swirls around you and swallows you up .. then there's the light show, videos, fireworks .. Can't describe .. it's an experience.! :D Unlike any other band I've seen.

The Radiohead comparison is so outdated now (yawn) .. it's embarrasing for the people who still do it :rolleyes: I hear 'influences' of Queen and Pink Floyd more than anyone, but to me Muse have their own distinct sound, not like anyone else:cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So who has picked up the new cd/dvd live combo? I have not heard anyone talking about it. It is out already right? I know i saw the CD version on Itunes last night.

Is it any good?

Is it great?

Should i go spend 15 bucks on the dvd/cd combo at best buy :D?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22