The Joshua Tree

2»

Comments

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    tybird wrote:
    Joshua Tree is a great album, but "The Unforgettable Fire" is also my favorite.
    Kindred. Excellent.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    A fan of U2 since the " Concentration Cramp" days. I absolutely love The Joshua Tree . Never more so that after Coachella '05 when I drove out to Joshua Tree National Park after Saturday's music ended . Friends of mine and I found a rock formation and, with Joshua Trees in the background, sat back and watched hundreds of shooting stars ( or meteors , whatever?) , had a few bevies of choice, and listed to the strains of The Joshua Tree. Not cranked but as great background music. No cars, no city lights, just the light of millions of stars. I recommend both Coachella and the Joshua Tree experience.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Blind3 wrote:
    A fan of U2 since the " Concentration Cramp" days. I absolutely love The Joshua Tree . Never more so that after Coachella '05 when I drove out to Joshua Tree National Park after Saturday's music ended . Friends of mine and I found a rock formation and, with Joshua Trees in the background, sat back and watched hundreds of shooting stars ( or meteors , whatever?) , had a few bevies of choice, and listed to the strains of The Joshua Tree. Not cranked but as great background music. No cars, no city lights, just the light of millions of stars. I recommend both Coachella and the Joshua Tree experience.

Very cool I haven't been there in many years but I'm going back next month ....told my girl I was going to take her to where the Streets had no name! :)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Blind3 wrote:
    That sounds perfect. I wish I'd thought to make a side trip to Joshua Tree after last year's Coachella.

FaceSpace
  • The Joshua Tree is only in the middle of the pack as far as my favorite U2 albums.

I think "One Tree Hill" sounds like an uninspired lounge song. When I hear it, I picture something I hope never happens---a washed up, overweight, balding Bono leaning up against a piano in some dive bar, holding a martini. Actually, I think the album loses a ton of steam for the last 3 tracks.

If I had to rank U2's records...

Zooropa----has been my favorite since the day it came out

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.--- I think 'City of Blinding Lights' and 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own' rank among U2's best

Achtung Baby---total classic.

Pop---most underrated album ever by a popular band. The lyrical depth is amazing. I love when people refer to it as "techno." There is a world of difference between techno and a rock album with three songs that have a little techno in them.

The Joshua Tree--- I love it except for the last 3 songs. 'With or Without You' is timeless

Boy---oft-overlooked classic. Great debut. I love 'An Cat Dubh'

The Unforgettable Fire---I wish they'd play 'A Sort of Homecoming' on the next tour.

War--pretty good, not my favorite

All That You Can't Leave Behind---a tale of 2 records. The first half is amazing, the second half is a yawn. Even U2 hardly touched those last 5 songs on the supporting tour

October---too dated to enjoy today
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Joshua Tree is probably one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Love U2 or hate them ( I like them ) there is no denying how apart that album stands on its own. Its completely timeless. If a person who has never heard it plays that album there is no way you could place it time over the past 30 years. It certainly doesn't sound like it would have come out of the 80's.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

• If I had to rank U2's records...

Zooropa----has been my favorite since the day it came out

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.--- I think 'City of Blinding Lights' and 'Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own' rank among U2's best

Achtung Baby---total classic.

Pop---most underrated album ever by a popular band. The lyrical depth is amazing. I love when people refer to it as "techno." There is a world of difference between techno and a rock album with three songs that have a little techno in them.

The Joshua Tree--- I love it except for the last 3 songs. 'With or Without You' is timeless

Boy---oft-overlooked classic. Great debut. I love 'An Cat Dubh'

The Unforgettable Fire---I wish they'd play 'A Sort of Homecoming' on the next tour.

War--pretty good, not my favorite

All That You Can't Leave Behind---a tale of 2 records. The first half is amazing, the second half is a yawn. Even U2 hardly touched those last 5 songs on the supporting tour

October---too dated to enjoy today
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see this list and the order you've ranked them. Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are my favorites (and a majority of U2 fans). I respect that Zooropa is at the top of your list, though. It's the first U2 album I bought on it's release date. I've bought every one they've released since, and spent loads of dough on these guys. Amazing band, amazing career, and most importantly, amazing music.

...and yes, POP is horribly underrated.
    Pop is horrible because of what that album could've and should've been.

Could've/should've been brilliant. Instead it was half-assed.

FaceSpace
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    The Joshua Tree is only in the middle of the pack as far as my favorite U2 albums.

I think "One Tree Hill" sounds like an uninspired lounge song. When I hear it, I picture something I hope never happens---a washed up, overweight, balding Bono leaning up against a piano in some dive bar, holding a martini. Actually, I think the album loses a ton of steam for the last 3 tracks.

i have heard live versions that have more power...but to simply pass this song aside is ridiculous. i love that opening.

as for exit i really do hate that it is (still on the remastered even) ridiculously hard to hear anything in the beginning. but that song simply explodes. i love it too.

didn't like mothers until a year ago or so probably. i know it's been 20 years since this album has been out but you should give these last few another go. i think these last three are easily better than a few earlier tracks.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I got into The Josuha Tree recentelly as well and was surprised at how diverse it was. I love it, especially Bullet In The Blue Sky..."ONE HUNDRED...TWO HUNDRED...!"
  • Has anyone ever heard that Bono was supposedly quoted as saying that a friend of the band, late singer Kristy MacColl, came up with the order of the songs. They asked for her input, and she simply placed them in order from her favorite to least favorite. Thus, "Where the Streets Have No Name" was her favorite, etc.

Though I can't argue with how the album flows, if I were putting them in order of my favorites, I would probably go...

With or Without You / Where the Streets Have No Name / Red Hill Mining Town / In God's Country / Running to Stand Still / I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Trip Through Your Wires / Bullet the Blue Sky / Exit / Mothers of the Disappeared / One Tree Hill
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • joshua tree is like everyone else has stated a masterpiece,but my second fave is all that you cant leave behind,played it non-stop when it came out,play it still.kite,walk on,beautiful day-feckin awesome
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    For what it's worth, I saw a U2 tribute band last night - Rattle and Hum. Two and a half hours with selections from every album except War. Even though it wasn't the real thing, for 5 bucks it made me remember how much I appreciate this band!

Check out the videos, if you wish...

http://rattlehum.com/
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13