The Joshua Tree

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I have never really been a U2 fan. Only because I have never been big on Bono. But I do have "With or Without You" on my ipod and always thought it was a great song and then, a friend of mine who is from Ireland and given that a U2 fan showed me their song "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", and I instantly loved that one too.

So today, I decided to give U2 a good chance. I've always wanted to buy the Joshua Tree, and today on my way home from work, I swung by the used CD store and found a copy for $6.99. It was well worth it. The album starts off beautifully. I think after listening to the whole thing my favorite part still has to be the first opening minute or so with that great key intro played to "Where The Streets Have No Name". I was the least disappointed after finishing it, it never failed to catch me off guard and the emotion that just oozes out of these songs is the kind that I love to soak in. "Bullet The Blue Sky" blew my fuckin' socks off...I never expected a tune like that from U2 after hearing everything I had heard from them on the radio and such.

Easily a new favorite in my collection, and well worth my top #10 :)
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't much like U2 but I have a lot of time for The Joshua Tree. Other than that it's just a few songs here and there.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I have never really been a U2 fan. Only because I have never been big on Bono. But I do have "With or Without You" on my ipod and always thought it was a great song and then, a friend of mine who is from Ireland and given that a U2 fan showed me their song "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", and I instantly loved that one too.

So today, I decided to give U2 a good chance. I've always wanted to buy the Joshua Tree, and today on my way home from work, I swung by the used CD store and found a copy for $6.99. It was well worth it. The album starts off beautifully. I think after listening to the whole thing my favorite part still has to be the first opening minute or so with that great key intro played to "Where The Streets Have No Name". I was the least disappointed after finishing it, it never failed to catch me off guard and the emotion that just oozes out of these songs is the kind that I love to soak in. "Bullet The Blue Sky" blew my fuckin' socks off...I never expected a tune like that from U2 after hearing everything I had heard from them on the radio and such.

I was so excited when this album was about to be dropped. Back then U2 was my #1 band in front of RUSH but then U2 took off after this album and I started to lose some interest. Still probably one of their BEST album releases. Just awesome and the tour became massive. I saw the show on that tour where Bono slipped in the rain in DC and fell, broke his arm. Only four songs in in front of 55,000 at RFK Stadium, Wash. DC.

Here's some meaning behind some of the songs from Joshua Tree and the song Bullet The Blue Sky.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    very cool that you dig the album......it's in my top five all time.....i wish more people would get past their hatred for bono and just listen to the music cuz these boys make some great music....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J2uYVdC6S4
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Oh yeah, it's easy to forget what a great band U2 can be, that album is incredible top to bottom. I just wish they would start being a band again, and let the music do the talking.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    cutback wrote:
    very cool that you dig the album......it's in my top five all time.....i wish more people would get past their hatred for bono and just listen to the music cuz these boys make some great music....:)

Seeing and hearing that again STILL gives me chills. Awesome. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• The Joshua Tree fell down recently.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    There are times when a band can come and go but hit the nail on the head with one momentous album. Joshua Tree is definitely that album for U2.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I love all their albums but The Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire are my two favorite albums of theirs. U2 were my 80's Pearl Jam. :D Not that they're alike, but my obsession was equivalent. :D

Anyway, THIS is my all time favorite song from Joshua Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRekLUX3GE

This song got me through some very black days indeed, way back in the day and just recently too. Thanks to a great friend for reminding me. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    u2 is definitely a band i would like to get familiar with their discography some day...bono can definitely belt out those notes and it pisses me off when i try to sing/cover them

i enjoy 'trip through your wires' from that album
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    joshua tree is a classic, but (and i am prob in the minority here) i like achtung baby even more.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I like War better.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I like track 9 on the Joshua Tree
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Trailer wrote:
    I like track 9 on the Joshua Tree

agreed. one tree hill is a standout there for me. and to the post's creator make sure you get your hands on the rattle & hum dvd sometime soon. the live performances of the joshua tree songs alone make it worthwhile. that version of with or without you ALONE makes it worthwhile.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    cutback wrote:

I totally agree with your post,they have a virtually unblemished catalogue IMO.
    People are so blinkered about Bono yet he is only one part of a great band.
    I have to say I have a lot of time for the man despite his profile and faults,we've all got them.What I like about him is yes people can call him an arse and a sanctimonious meglomaniac,but I don't think he would disagree.I have read and watched many interviews with the man and when talking about himself his tongue always seems firmly rooted in his cheek.
    Jump on the Bono's an arse bandwagon but watch cause he'll be on there before you.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I bought it, the day it came out.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    stargirl69 wrote:
    I totally agree with your post,they have a virtually unblemished catalogue IMO.
    People are so blinkered about Bono yet he is only one part of a great band.
    I have to say I have a lot of time for the man despite his profile and faults,we've all got them.What I like about him is yes people can call him an arse and a sanctimonious meglomaniac,but I don't think he would disagree.I have read and watched many interviews with the man and when talking about himself his tongue always seems firmly rooted in his cheek.
    Jump on the Bono's an arse bandwagon but watch cause he'll be on there before you.

exactly.....in the 80's everyone called him a pompous rock star so with actung baby he decided to fill the role since he could change everyone's attitudes....:)
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    I bought it, the day it came out.

i was born 6 months after it came out..but have often wondered what it would have been like to have bought it that day and gone home to just put on the record and listen. i just grew up with it so don't have that memorable first listening experience.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    dcfaithful wrote:

The Joshua Tree is the only perfect U2 record with no fillers at all.
    Achtung Baby is a very close second however that is the best work of the modernised, reinvented U2 of the 90's!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    [size=+2]JOSHUA TREE KICKS ASSS!!!!!!! :D[/size]
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    U2 = best band in the world.

At least to me anyway. The longevity, the quality, the intelligient music, the passion, the sound. It's all about the music.

As for The Joshua Tree...even though it's actually not my favorite U2 album (that would be The Unforgettable Fire) it's a watershed album that sealed their fates as the band. Always will be in my eyes.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    yeah too bad they stand by ticketmaster ,you couldn't get a ticket to the joshua tour at all prices wen't thru the roof for all of their tours after that ,i stopped trying to get to their shows and then something happened in 91 & 92 a band came around that said fuck ticketmaster .........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    dharma69 wrote:
    U2 = best band in the world.

At least to me anyway. The longevity, the quality, the intelligient music, the passion, the sound. It's all about the music.

As for The Joshua Tree...even though it's actually not my favorite U2 album (that would be The Unforgettable Fire) it's a watershed album that sealed their fates as the band. Always will be in my eyes.
    Joshua Tree is a great album, but "The Unforgettable Fire" is also my favorite.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    21 years after the fact. Wow! :)

I feel old as I have this on vinyl.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    masterpiece
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    even flow? wrote:

I can't say that I own the Tree in vinyl....I just have "War" on vinyl. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are 1A and 1B for me. I prefer Achtung Baby more just because it was just so different. Zoo Station, Even Better then The Real Thing, One, Until the End of the World, and Who will Ride your Wild Horse are the best 1-5 tracks on any album that I own.

For a modern day comparison this is like the Bends and Ok Computer for Radiohead. One was a straight forward rock album that was an absolute classic, and the other is experimental and weird yet so good and also a classic.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    even flow? wrote:

LOL so do I.Bought on the day of release.Replaced with cd a few years later but still love the vinyl.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • r1vers wrote:
    agreed. one tree hill is a standout there for me.
    Jeanie wrote:
    Anyway, THIS is my all time favorite song from Joshua Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRekLUX3GE

One Tree Hill and Red Hill Mining Town are two of my favourites. Oh, and how could I exclude Trip Through Your Wires and In God's Country. And, of course, With or Without You, Where the Streets Have No Names, and Still Haven't Found What I've Been Looking For.

So many great songs! Joshua Tree is a fantastic album!

However, I am going to be of the minority and say that I've never really liked Bullet the Blue Sky. :o
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are 1A and 1B for me. I prefer Achtung Baby more just because it was just so different. Zoo Station, Even Better then The Real Thing, One, Until the End of the World, and Who will Ride your Wild Horse are the best 1-5 tracks on any album that I own.

For a modern day comparison this is like the Bends and Ok Computer for Radiohead. One was a straight forward rock album that was an absolute classic, and the other is experimental and weird yet so good and also a classic.
    I feel the same way about Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Two of my favourite albums.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.