Young Modern

2»

Comments

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    So what where some of the highlights of the lolla performance, give some scoop, maybe ill find the answer in another thread ill go looking.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    kenshunt wrote:
    So what where some of the highlights of the lolla performance, give some scoop, maybe ill find the answer in another thread ill go looking.

somebody else asked for the setlist... so this is my mental reconstruction, though the middle is all out of order:

young modern station
    emotion sickness
    without you
    *mindreader, insomnia, straight lines, greatest view*
    ana's song
    the door
    if you keep losing sleep
    freak

i think that's all of them. as to my impressions

first of all, the crowd was awesome. they seemed very enthused and daniel was interacting with them so much. he seemed to be having a blast, kept looking at his bandmates and grinning and anytime people sang along he'd say "you're gonna make me cry." he did a lot of dancing and glam rock posing and stuff... even climbing onto paul mac's keyboard to play one solo lying on his back. it was truly a riot. the songs were all perfect, the band was very tight but still willing to stretch out a bit and daniel's voice has definitely recovered from the laryngitis becos he was flawless. so i was pretty impressed with the whole vibe going... i was afraid the crowd would be lifeless or hassling for tomorrow and that was not the case.

as to highlights... emotion sickness is always a showstopper. all the new songs sounded great, with if you keep losing sleep being the highlight for me. it was so hard rocking. people seemed less familiar with the new songs (daniel couldn't get people to sing along to straight lines) but were still very into all of them. without you was a song i was never all that into but it was excellent live. and freak turned into a huge singlong which was cool.

it was the highlight of the weekend for me, along with the pearl jam set.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    lowlight10 wrote:
    i'll have an exact setlist for Lolla later today. but until then...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=53356048&albumID=636367&imageID=12187520

hopefully you guys can see this.

shit... am i the only person in the world not on myspace?
    is there a better way to post a picture on here?
    -

• I am glad they got a good reception at Lolla. I listened to their live broadcast on XM and they sounded great. We saw them live a couple weeks ago and we had such a good time. Been a huge fan since Neon Ballroom and it was great to finally get to see them :)

My favorite song off of "Young Modern" right now is "If You Keep Losing Sleep", I like songs like that..not traditional :) I purchased the CD from Australia and then bought it again when it was released here in the U.S.
    lowlight10 wrote:
    is there a better way to post a picture on here?

not really. i shouldnt bitch, i only have facebook and people can't see that either i don't think. i may create a myspace anyway, ive been pondering it a while now.
    setlist for Lollapalooza, 8/4/07

Young Modern Station
    Emotion Sickness
    Without You
    Greatest View
    Insomnia
    Reflections
    Straight Lines
    The Door
    Mind Reader
    -Happy Birthday to Paul Mac-
    Ana’s Song
    If You Keep Losing Sleep
    Freak

a pic: http://download.yousendit.com/46A3D3C61F5AADFC

I also have pics from the set if people are interested.
    -

did anyone in the US pick up teh CD/DVD version?

how is the DVD? content, running time?
    -

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    lowlight10 wrote:
    did anyone in the US pick up teh CD/DVD version?

how is the DVD? content, running time?

I picked it up, it's basically what you will find on youtube if you search for making of Young Modern
  • i have lukewarm feelings towards young modern.

i love those thieving birds and a few more tunes, but generally its a disappointment after diorama. It feels a bit too over the top for me, quite frankly it gets on your tits after a while.

I saw em live last night at brixton academy and thought they were so so.

maybe its because i've never seen them before but Daniel Johns really is an egotistical person isnt he? He barely mentioned the rest of the band (who were solid) all night, then ruined songs by getting the crowd to sing (eg: ana's song, the chorus of straight lines, even parts of emotion sickness)
    They only played for just over an hour, can't Johns hack it live?

PLus, they played 2 songs each off diorama and neon ballroom. That was it. I wasn't expecting frogstomp but neither did i expect to hear virtually all of young modern either.

i'm gutted.
    Im sure there set was shorter cause of lolla, but ive never seen them live except on youtube so what do i know lol.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • really? but lolla was last weekend. It just seemed a piss poor show tbh. Tons of people were heading for the doors before the end.
    Still loving it
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    The album is legen - wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last part of that word is - dary.
    mulva9 wrote:
    The album is legen - wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last part of that word is - dary.

best worst joke ever :)

i still love the album. it's weird as hell but catchy. amazing stuff.

as to the guy who talked about them live... not everyone does the pearl jam "im going to call out everyone's name mid-show" thing. daniel has never mentioned anyone's name in any of the times i've seen them... his or someone else's. scratch that, he did mention paul mac had joined the band, but that's it. i think he figures if you're seeing them you either know who they are or don't care. and i love the singalongs. do you bitch when people take over betterman, daughter, why go, or jeremy at pearl jam shows? daniel does a great job getting the crowd involved.

however, i don't know what's up with the short set. that would be kind of a bummer, they have the material to get to at least an hour and a half. few bands play 2 hours, but one hour is pretty skimpy for silverchair, barring extenuating circumstances.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I'll say it now. It's my album of the year. With strong showings all year from Ryan Adams, Arcade Fire, Eddie Vedder, Radiohead, and Bruce Springsteen---Young Modern is the one I can always go back to. "If You Keep Losing Sleep" is genius, and it reminds me a lot of the first time I listened to Pet Sounds. It's pop rock music w/ a genius twist and somehow it all works.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I'll say it now. It's my album of the year. With strong showings all year from Ryan Adams, Arcade Fire, Eddie Vedder, Radiohead, and Bruce Springsteen---Young Modern is the one I can always go back to. "If You Keep Losing Sleep" is genius, and it reminds me a lot of the first time I listened to Pet Sounds. It's pop rock music w/ a genius twist and somehow it all works.

I agree 100%
  • not really. i shouldnt bitch, i only have facebook and people can't see that either i don't think. i may create a myspace anyway, ive been pondering it a while now.

So did you ever make one? I'd be interested to see what you look like. :D

As far as the album...I listened to the songs they have up on Myspace a while ago & they just seemed to go way too far with the experimental sound or whatever they are trying to accomplish. Eventually I'll prolly give it another try, just seemed annoying more than evolved. Love 'Neon Ballroom' & 'Diorama' though. :)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • I saw them on some Late nite show and liked the song they played (sounded very Coldplayish) but listened to the album and didnt care for it. Too whiny and too many similar sounding songs.