Blind Melon

Drop1The0LeashDrop1The0Leash Posts: 954
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Any one else out there a fan? Enjoy more than just No Rain.
2006: Albany
2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
2010: Boston, MSG I
2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Any one else out there a fan? Enjoy more than just No Rain.

Brilliant band...gone way too soon.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Just went out to my car for a cigarette and listened to Sleepyhouse and All That I Need as a matter of fact.. and some Jimi. :cool:

Love love love love love Blind Melon.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • "Change"

One

of

the

best

songs

ever

written
  • change is a great one, I love galaxie also
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Is it St. Andrew's Fall or St. Andrew's Hall? I never figured that one out.
  • Great band! Check past threads for more support!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Is it St. Andrew's Fall or St. Andrew's Hall? I never figured that one out.

Actually both are songs of theirs. I Havent listened much to St. Andrew's Hall but St. Andrew's Fall is a great song.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    I LOVE Blind Melon. I have their first album, soup and nico.

I know you wanted to steer clear of 'no rain' but check out this performance from SNL back in 94...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judvPqMY8I0
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Blind Melons great. They have over 1000 listens on my Last.FM
    http://www.last.fm/user/thunder_struck
  • jamsandyjamsandy Posts: 12
    "Change"

One

of

the

best

songs

ever

written

^True!!
    Love, Sandy
  • Actually both are songs of theirs. I Havent listened much to St. Andrew's Hall but St. Andrew's Fall is a great song.
    "st andrews hall" is the original title, hence why it's titled that on Nico (that version being an outtake from before Soup... or maybe a demo.. or something like that).

"Make our day"
  • either way man st andrews hall and st andrews fall are different like i said
    either way man st andrews hall and st andrews fall are different like i said
    Is the difference obvious? I haven't listened back to back, but they sounded the same to me. They are two different songs? Or different recordings of the same?
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    BIG Blind Melon fan right here. I own all of their stuff!!!! So glad they're back together!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    BIG Blind Melon fan right here. I own all of their stuff!!!! So glad they're back together!!!

No Shannon = No Blind Melon...
  • i love blind melon....mouthful of cavities is one of my favorite songs by any band
    "oh please........
    let it ran today
    this city is so filthy
    like my mind in ways....."
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    danny72688 wrote:
    Is the difference obvious? I haven't listened back to back, but they sounded the same to me. They are two different songs? Or different recordings of the same?

The intro and the outro are a bit longer in one of the versions. So, yeah its pretty much the same song. Great band though!!!
  • desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
    Blind Melon rocks! Mouthful of Cavities, Change, Soul One and others are all at the VERY top of my list of favorites.

Most likely preaching to the choir here, but if you don't have the DVD entitled Letters from a Porcupine, drop what you're doing right now and sprint to your favorite music store to pick it up. This is probably my favorite music DVD of all time.
  • No Shannon = No Blind Melon...
    without question. I respect the band, they're fantastic in their own right, but I'm fucking pissed off that they didn't change their name.

"Make our day"
  • I believe the "st andrew's hall" is a reference to a church somewhere.. I don't remember any more details, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

"Make our day"
    without question. I respect the band, they're fantastic in their own right, but I'm fucking pissed off that they didn't change their name.
    I'm not really pissed off (same deal with AIC). What would be the point of changing your name when all you're gonna be playing is Blind Melon stuff? That'd just make them a cover band kinda...

Also, no disrespect to the two frontmen (Shannon/Layne), but they really fucked the bands over and cut the life of their music far too soon.
    danny72688 wrote:
    I'm not really pissed off (same deal with AIC). What would be the point of changing your name when all you're gonna be playing is Blind Melon stuff? That'd just make them a cover band kinda...

Also, no disrespect to the two frontmen (Shannon/Layne), but they really fucked the bands over and cut the life of their music far too soon.

So their bands should just go on without them and carry the same name?

No way. Granted Layne and Shannon were at fault for their own deaths (slow suicide's no way to go) but that does not mean that their former bandmates should carry on the name that they helped make famous...

It'd be like if Billy died, and the rest of them went on as the Smashing Pumpkins...or if Eddie died, and the rest of them went on as Pearl Jam...

It just would not be right. I am not saying never to make music again, but let the name die with some dignity, and don't try to recreate what you obviously can't. AIC is not AIC without Layne, and BM is not BM without Shannon. That's just how it is.
    So their bands should just go on without them and carry the same name?

No way. Granted Layne and Shannon were at fault for their own deaths (slow suicide's no way to go) but that does not mean that their former bandmates should carry on the name that they helped make famous...

It'd be like if Billy died, and the rest of them went on as the Smashing Pumpkins...or if Eddie died, and the rest of them went on as Pearl Jam...

It just would not be right. I am not saying never to make music again, but let the name die with some dignity, and don't try to recreate what you obviously can't. AIC is not AIC without Layne, and BM is not BM without Shannon. That's just how it is.
    I think if that band is going to be playing songs they made previously and/or writing new material, then yes keep the same name (this applies to PJ and the Pumpkins). It will obviously not be the same, but the spirit will still be alive and burning if it's not for money --- which in this case it's not, same with AIC.

And it's not like it's GN'R or anything where the only original member is Axl Rose. That's one of the cases I have a problem with. Mainly because I feel he doesn't contribute much to the band, also he's milking the name GN'R for all it's worth. These bands are playing the songs they wrote and love, and writing a new chapter in their history.

I would want PJ to go on even if Eddie died, as long as the replacement wasn't a carbon copy of Ed. If that new singer can be his own person, and do justice to Ed, I'm all for it. Same with Billy (though he would be difficult to replace seeing as he was lead guitarist and vocalist).

I always bring this up even though it's a different situation, Pearl Jam shouldn't be Pearl Jam because Krusen is gone following this logic, and AIC shouldn't be AIC because Starr is gone. But since he was fired or left, it makes it okay? D'arcy left the Pumpkins, but they went on to record MACHINA II and tour for the last year. (This is a weaker argument, I know, because they weren't critical members of the band, but they were still part of the band).

I want to acknowledge that I see where you're coming from (and the general belief), but I just don't agree personally. And I very much expect nobody to agree with my view.
    danny72688 wrote:
    I think if that band is going to be playing songs they made previously and/or writing new material, then yes keep the same name (this applies to PJ and the Pumpkins). It will obviously not be the same, but the spirit will still be alive and burning if it's not for money --- which in this case it's not, same with AIC.

And it's not like it's GN'R or anything where the only original member is Axl Rose. That's one of the cases I have a problem with. Mainly because I feel he doesn't contribute much to the band, also he's milking the name GN'R for all it's worth. These bands are playing the songs they wrote and love, and writing a new chapter in their history.

I would want PJ to go on even if Eddie died, as long as the replacement wasn't a carbon copy of Ed. If that new singer can be his own person, and do justice to Ed, I'm all for it. Same with Billy (though he would be difficult to replace seeing as he was lead guitarist and vocalist).

I always bring this up even though it's a different situation, Pearl Jam shouldn't be Pearl Jam because Krusen is gone following this logic, and AIC shouldn't be AIC because Starr is gone. But since he was fired or left, it makes it okay? D'arcy left the Pumpkins, but they went on to record MACHINA II and tour for the last year. (This is a weaker argument, I know, because they weren't critical members of the band, but they were still part of the band).

I want to acknowledge that I see where you're coming from (and the general belief), but I just don't agree personally. And I very much expect nobody to agree with my view.

I understand where you're coming from, and as much as I hate to agrue with a fellow Pumpkins fan, must respectfully disagree.

As unfortunate as it may be, D'Arcy and Dave Krusen were not as vital to their respective bands as Shannon or Layne. To carry on the same name when you replace a drummer or a bassist, or even a guitarist that doesn't sing, isn't that big a deal.

It's the singer that's in the public eye. Most of the time, you ask some schmo on the street who Stone Gossard is, and they're like "uhhhh..." But you ask who Eddie Vedder is and it's the exact opposite.

I guess I just disagree with carrying on the names of bands whose lead singers have died. Look at Sublime. They renamed their band and continued. I have more respect for them right now than I do for BM and AIC because of that fact.

Just my opinion...and I am sure there are folks who agree with both of us and disagree with both of us. Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one. :)
    I understand where you're coming from, and as much as I hate to agrue with a fellow Pumpkins fan, must respectfully disagree.

As unfortunate as it may be, D'Arcy and Dave Krusen were not as vital to their respective bands as Shannon or Layne. To carry on the same name when you replace a drummer or a bassist, or even a guitarist that doesn't sing, isn't that big a deal.

It's the singer that's in the public eye. Most of the time, you ask some schmo on the street who Stone Gossard is, and they're like "uhhhh..." But you ask who Eddie Vedder is and it's the exact opposite.

I guess I just disagree with carrying on the names of bands whose lead singers have died. Look at Sublime. They renamed their band and continued. I have more respect for them right now than I do for BM and AIC because of that fact.

Just my opinion...and I am sure there are folks who agree with both of us and disagree with both of us. Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one. :)
    Yes there is more emphasis on the singers, but I like to think of all memers of the band having a equal status and function. I know that isn't the general opinion though ;)

I just could not get over seeing "Galaxie" (for example) playing exclusively Blind Melon stuff when they are almost the original band. It's kinda like seeing Velvet Revolver - you're pretty much seeing GN'R.

Are you upset with Van Halen or AC/DC just out of curiousity?
    danny72688 wrote:
    Are you upset with Van Halen or AC/DC just out of curiousity?

I am not a fan of either, so I guess not...lol.

I am not saying I don't see your point...I just disagree, that's all.
    I am not a fan of either, so I guess not...lol.

I am not saying I don't see your point...I just disagree, that's all.
    Well I guess we must agree to disagree then :cool:

The new Blind Melon stuff I've heard is pretty cool I must say.
    danny72688 wrote:
    The new Blind Melon stuff I've heard is pretty cool I must say.

Don't you mean "Galaxie?" :-P
    Don't you mean "Galaxie?" :-P
    Ha!
    Yup them. I'm gonna go see Galaxie when they visit my area ;)
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Actually both are songs of theirs. I Havent listened much to St. Andrew's Hall but St. Andrew's Fall is a great song.

actually both of them are the exact same song. on nico it's called st. andrew's hall and on soup it's called st. andrew's fall. or it could be the other way around, anyway they are the same.