Dinosaur Jr.

ISUalISUal Posts: 40
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Just got "Beyond" yesterday. Holy shit! What a great album. Catchy as hell, searing guitar, and lots of J Mascis drone. I would recommend it to any PJ fan.
"I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Saw them at one of the first reunion shows 2 years ago, my ears have never been the same. The noise was so loud I REALLY couldn't distinguish the guitar or bass or drums, it was all a wall of dirt. So loud I felt like puking, luckily i had earplugs or I would've left.

i don't intend to see them again, it was painful. They were alright at Reading though :)
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    fowls wrote:
    Saw them at one of the first reunion shows 2 years ago, my ears have never been the same. The noise was so loud I REALLY couldn't distinguish the guitar or bass or drums, it was all a wall of dirt. So loud I felt like puking, luckily i had earplugs or I would've left.

i don't intend to see them again, it was painful. They were alright at Reading though :)
    Great to hear. I'm seeing them with the Black Keys in a week and a half. I'm stoked. But my old ears may pay, huh? If it's too loud, you're too old, right?

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Ott wrote:
    Great to hear. I'm seeing them with the Black Keys in a week and a half. I'm stoked. But my old ears may pay, huh? If it's too loud, you're too old, right?

Ott
    You know when something's so loud it doesn't sound of anything but static and pain? It was that loud.
    I don't mind loud as long as I can make out the chord changes and the melody, but it was at least twice the level of a normal gig. Was seriously bad. All my friends who went agreed it was the loudest show they've ever been to by a long (and very uncomfortable) way.

Not sure if it was just that show or that's what their usual gig is like, but consider yourself warned ;)
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ya they are way too loud. beyond is great tho.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    I have heard about the insane volume at their live shows, fortunately I got to see them at a small outdoor venue, which definitely cut down on the pain factor, so maybe thats the way to go.

And Beyond is fantastic.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Beyond is classic Dino Jr. I was impressed!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I saw them a few months ago at a really small venue on the Charing cross road - The borderline? It was sooo fucking loud my ears were still ringing the next day. Awesome show. So tight. I also saw them play the Town and country club in 1992 or 1993. I've had the new album now a few weeks but still haven't listened to it. I will definitely give it a go this weekend.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I saw them a few months ago at a really small venue on the Charing cross road - The borderline? It was sooo fucking loud my ears were still ringing the next day. Awesome show. So tight. I also saw them play the Town and country club in 1992 or 1993. I've had the new album now a few weeks but still haven't listened to it. I will definitely give it a go this weekend.

I had the new album for a few weeks before I listened to it as well! I guess I was waiting to be in the right mood for it.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    got this one as well. sounds great. classic rock album
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Beyond is a very cool album. I'm seeing them with the black keys in a few weeks too :)

i've seen them or J solo about 4 times. It is quite loud but i love it :D

Have you guys checked out the new DVD Live in the Middle East? It is from their reunion tour in 2005 it is their gig in NYC @ the Middle East.

Really great show plus you get to listen to interivews with thurston moore, mike watt, kevin shields, and others talk about dinosaur jr.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    ISUal wrote:
    Just got "Beyond" yesterday. Holy shit! What a great album. Catchy as hell, searing guitar, and lots of J Mascis drone. I would recommend it to any PJ fan.

agreed... killer record... searing guitar indeed. a must by up there for me as the album of the year.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Beyond is easily the best album of 2007 so far for me. I saw Dino (not the original lineup) in a small club on the Hand it Over tour. They are insanely loud. I was young enough that my ears could handle it, but I actually wish I would have had earplugs, just to hear the guitar more clearly. J rocks that shit live.
  • florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Saw them at Pearl Street in Northampton, MA. recently. Great show! Some of the band live in this area.
    Hold On
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Beyond is a great album. I really like it. I am seeing them in amsterdam in 3 weeks the day before I see Pearl jam! party time!
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    This is a great record. I wasn't expecting it to be this good but it blew me away. A very nice surprise.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Just cranked this baby up. Love it!
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    fowls wrote:

Loud shows seem to be their trademark...it was exactly the same at their Bristol Academy show a year ago. My ears were still ringing two days later.

The new album is something special though....really amazing songwriting and those lovely buzzsaw like guitars....We're Not Alone is a great song:) It's one of my favourite albums from this year so far
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    fowls wrote:

not that i felt like puking, but i understand your sentiment. i have never heard anything as loud as dino jnr when i saw them last time they were in oz. it was an absolute wall of sound. alas though i had no earplugs. but i survived to tell the tale. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Just saw them the other night at Irving Plaza. Fun show.
    beyond rocks like a motherfucker

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    I looked the vinyl up recently and noticed there's an extra track called 'Yer Son' on it. Has anyone had the pleasure to hear it? Care to share?
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I must concur with the rests of these posts, I think is a soild album, better than I expected. I really like Back To Your Heart. I have been listenting to alot of Dinosaur Jr lately, and that is pretty sweet
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • It's a wicked album, and I hope it gets some exposure. In some ways this release reminds me of the Lemonheads album last year. That one seemed to just disappear after it was released, I hope this one finds an audience and some legs, because it is DAMN good and deserves it.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It's a wicked album, and I hope it gets some exposure. In some ways this release reminds me of the Lemonheads album last year. That one seemed to just disappear after it was released, I hope this one finds an audience and some legs, because it is DAMN good and deserves it.
    Everyone seems to like back to your heard for some reason i always skip it. :(

Pick me up is great though. Can't wait to hear the new songs live.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    glasshouse wrote:

in case somebody didn't read this the first time round

• dirtdirt Posts: 398
    cc10106 wrote:
    I looked the vinyl up recently and noticed there's an extra track called 'Yer Son' on it. Has anyone had the pleasure to hear it? Care to share?

It's interesting how they packaged this. In addition to the 12" record, it comes with a 7" too. There are 4 tracks on the 7" -- the last three track from Beyond with the bonus track thrown in for extra measure. So the 7" plays as a 33, not 45. Yer Son - more classic uptempo Dino.

Beyond is my favorite release of '07 so far...

If you're a J Mascis fan, check out the metal band Witch. He plays drums (which is what he played when he first met up with Barlow). Nice riff-age on this record as well. Think Sabbath and/or Leaf Hound and you begin to get the idea.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    it's funny that everybody is bringing up the loudness. I saw them on the Hand it Over tour in a small club as well, and yes, they are INCREDIBLY loud. my hears were ringing the entire day following the show. but it was a VERY good show. it was not a "bad" kind of loud. I have seen about 50+ bands play, and PJ, Dino Jr, and Alice in Chains are without a doubt at the top of the heap as far as live shows.
    dirt wrote:

Beyond is my favorite release of '07 so far...

touche

• dustdust Posts: 133
    Its definitely my favourite album so far this year (and there are many contenders) I still get goosebumps when I listen to it, saw em in London last year and they were incredible, I also managed to get the set list :)

So hyped for Reading now, can't believe how far down the bill they are tho, playing under the Twang, a band offensive to my ears who appear to have only released one slightly dodgy album. (if I am ignorant of the Twangs extensive and influential back catalogue I apologise)

Anyway I'm ramblin now, DINOSAUR JR. ROCK
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Does anyone have the lyrics to Back to Your Heart? Cant find them online anywhere!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.