rolling stone on Cornell

13»

Comments

• dunkman wrote:
    as are comments like that... its personal taste.. but Cornells latest album has received an overwhelming slamming.

But the "overwhelming slamming" is all personal taste too, surely? If Icky Thump was to get a drubbing like Carry On, would you be as quick to tell people the White Stripes have lost it?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    dunkman wrote:
    look man.. whatever.. the Whites Stripes are culturally more relevant, musically more ground-breaking than Cornell is currently.. i used the magazine articles to highlight his critical acclaim (this is after all a thread about a Rolling Stone review)

but each to their own.. i'm going to struggle for a Whites gig ticket when they tour here.. Cornell actually phoned me up begging me to go... and that was for a 1300 venue... and the WS have been going for 10 years, its not like they are flavour of the month or anything.. cornell was back in 1993 and he had an amazing band back then.. Jack White is a one-man show.. Cornell couldnt string JW's guitar :)

Jack is an amazing guitarist, but he's a terrible singer and an awful songwriter. Chris Cornell is a great songwriter, a legendary singer, and an average rhythm guitarist. Therefore, like I stated earlier:

Chris Cornell >>>>>>>> Jack White
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    But the "overwhelming slamming" is all personal taste too, surely? If Icky Thump was to get a drubbing like Carry On, would you be as quick to tell people the White Stripes have lost it?

Icky Thump won't get a drubbing :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    Icky Thump won't get a drubbing :)

No, probably not.:)

But the hypothesis still stands. Maybe not Icky Thump, but a WS record in the future...?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    DOSW wrote:
    Jack is an amazing guitarist, but he's a terrible singer and an awful songwriter. Chris Cornell is a great songwriter, a legendary singer, and an average rhythm guitarist. Therefore, like I stated earlier:

Chris Cornell >>>>>>>> Jack White

he's got an amazing voice and his songwriting is hugely prolific.

Jimmy Page called him one of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years.. Cornell has taken to covering Michael Jackson... i need say no more... here endeth the lesson
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    this guy is stupid

badmotofinger is better than superunknown.. Chris also sounds better...

he sounded very bad on the 96 tour.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    dunkman wrote:
    i love Rolling Stone magazine :):)

Me too! I think that as much as I love Cornell, I am not going to blindly love every single thing he does.

I am pretty sure it was ALL OF YOU, just a few months back talking HUGE AMOUNTS OF SHIT about Audioslave! Which was, I think, was Undeniably Cornell's band. Thats why it got kind of stale towards the end.......

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE Cornell. But I dont love his new disk. So who cares if it gets a bad review. If its really as good as people say, then 10 years from now Rolling Stone will Give it FIVE Stars!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • No, probably not.:)

But the hypothesis still stands. Maybe not Icky Thump, but a WS record in the future...?

and that already happened it was called most of GBMS and it wasn't even that bad. Some of the songs were catchy it was different because it had less guitar more piano and a maramba (spelling aka a xylophone (shit spelling agian) like instrument)
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    what is it you people hate about carry on? seriously? soundgarden will always be my favorite project chris was ever involved in...by miles...but his new album is fantastic in my opinion.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • My opinion on Chris, broken down..

Chris's Soundgarden Days:

Ultramega OK = Good
    Louder Than Love = Great
    Screaming Life/Fopp = Good
    Badmotorfinger = Awesome
    Superunknown = Awesome
    Down On The Upside = Good

Post-Soundgarden or Otherwise:

Temple Of The Dog = Best record he's ever done, on an emotional aspect
    Euphoria Morning = Second best. Comes REALLY close. Love the CD
    Audioslave = He's still got his voice, and the music works, but his decline begins
    Out Of Exile = Stage 2 of the decline. Only 2/3 of the CD is listenable
    Revelations = Where OOE was 2/3, Revelations is "Sound Of A Gun," and "Original Fire." The rest sucks
    Carry On = "Poison Eye" is good. Nothing else. Unless he does a return to form, maybe considers resting his voice for a couple years, he MIGHT have hope. But if he's putting crap like this out, then no.

I speak not as a "fanboy" either, though it was Chris and his formerly superhuman vocal range that brought me into the world of Grunge. I'm just speaking as someone who has seen, and heard. I hold no alignment with the fanboys or fangirls.

This is one man's opinion
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • congratulations for having your own opinion and not using shitty trendy magazines to form one, but YOUR OWN EARS!!! and an open mind
    (applause)

something other ppl on this board could learn from....
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Not a huge fan of rolling stone but i agree with the 2 stars and the fact that this album sucks. I also agree that nothing he has done since soundgarden has been worth listening to. I will also agree however with a lot of other people by saying it was a terrible review. it just seemed like a little rant on why the guy who wrote it hates cornell without actually talking about why the music sucks. but whatever, i'd be more disappointed if they gave it 4 or 5 stars because that would just be complete bullshit, at least they got the rating right, even though they didn't back it up with a very good argument.