rolling stone on Cornell

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Since he is a model for John Varvatos clothing perhaps it is fair to judge him by his hair and clothing style

;)

just kidding. I still can't believe he did that bullshit.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Here's another review from IGN, who gave it a 7.2:

http://music.ign.com/articles/794/794167p1.html

The reviewer messes up some song titles, so he must have been reviewing an advanced press copy. It's a much better written article than the awful RS review, although I think 7.2 is a little generous.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    That reveiew was spot on. Cornell is becoming a joke like Robert Plant in the 80's. Use your voice for screaming and rocking out while you've still got it Chris.
  • oh...my...god. all you were trying to do here is show that you know the correct order of the Beatles' album releases right? you COULDN'T actually be comparing Chris Cornell's output (while quite strong) to that of the Beatles. I mean come on.

no actually if u quoted the whole thing u could see the line saying "not really". The beatles are the most important band of all time, you don't really think I'm trying to pawn that much talent and responsibility off on cornell?
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Dick Jones wrote:
    What do you guys want? An article that is truth, or one that just says "oh yeah, he is a god,...great album, 5 stars...." He's washed up. Audioslave was bland, so is the new album.

People read those reviews and judge wether they should buy an album or not, so I'd say they were right on with this one, and Era Vulgaris.

But that's my problem with the review, it does not give enough information for someone to decide wether or not to buy it. The reviewer doesn't discuss the music at all, he basically just states his personal disdain for Chris Cornell's current image. Anyone who decides whether or not to buy the album based on that review is a moron.

If the guy thinks the album is a piece of shit, that's fine, but tell us WHY it is a piece of shit. Don't just tell us that you like Chris better when he was shirtless with long hair. I'm trying to decide whether to buy his album, not whether I want to date him or not.
  • i hate chris cornell... i hate his music. i loved the review.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    But that's my problem with the review, it does not give enough information for someone to decide wether or not to buy it. The reviewer doesn't discuss the music at all, he basically just states his personal disdain for Chris Cornell's current image. Anyone who decides whether or not to buy the album based on that review is a moron.

If the guy thinks the album is a piece of shit, that's fine, but tell us WHY it is a piece of shit. Don't just tell us that you like Chris better when he was shirtless with long hair. I'm trying to decide whether to buy his album, not whether I want to date him or not.

buy the album. listen a few times...make up your own mind. maybe it wasn't worth the 12 bucks...or maybe you can keep rediscovering it. (Much like Euphoria Morning) I totally agree that the review was crap. "mindless wailing" gives Chris Cornell NO credit for his lyrics and vocal range (then or now) I suppose the reviewer decided that back in the early nineties he hadn't mistakenly lumped ALL Seattle bands enough for his lifetime.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think that IGN review was spot on.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Bad Motorfinger ---> Superunknown ---> Down on The Upside ---> Euphoria Morning ---> Audioslave ---> Out of Exile ---> 1/3rd of Revelations

Dare I compare that string of albums to?

Rubber Soul ---> Revolver--->Sgt Peppers ---> Magical Mystery Tour ---> The White Album ---> Abbey Road ---> Let it Be

thats truly laughable.... but if you ever compare Cornell to the might of The Beatles again i'll hunt you down and make you do algebra :)

beatles = critical acclaim and over 50million sales

cornell = lambasted in the press/forums and 17 cd's sold
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    thats truly laughable.... but if you ever compare Cornell to the might of The Beatles again i'll hunt you down and make you do algebra :)

beatles = critical acclaim and over 50million sales

cornell = lambasted in the press/forums and 17 cd's sold

Cornell may not be up there with the Beatles, but he can piss all over the White Stripes any day. :D
    DOSW wrote:
    Cornell may not be up there with the Beatles, but he can piss all over the White Stripes any day. :D

he must be tall then.. cos musically speaking Jacky White has ripped Cornells face off with his guitar and Meg rubbed salt on his exposed bits.

cornell v's WS.. truly laughable ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I have not heard the album, but a few people I respect told me it's average at best. That being said, Rolling Stone reviews are usually not on point.
    If a new band comes out, they usually suck their cocks. If it's a band's second album, they usually shit all over it. If it's a band that has 4 or 5 albums, they give average reviews, if it's fucking Steely Dan releasing their 17th album, they'll tell you how wonderful they are. Music reviews are a waste of time. Ask people you know, who are into that type of music and you'll get a better scope of things.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    dunkman wrote:
    he must be tall then.. cos musically speaking Jacky White has ripped Cornells face off with his guitar and Meg rubbed salt on his exposed bits.

cornell v's WS.. truly laughable ;)

Nah, Jack White would be so preoccupied picking out his matching red and black suits and yelling at Meg to stop practicing that he wouldn't have the time to avoid Chris Cornell's steady stream of piss. Then he'd write some awful piano ballad about how his girlfriend will no longer go out with him because he's covered in piss.

Chris Cornell >>>> Jack White

Bring it on, dunkman. :D
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i could care less what this review or any others say...chris' new album is amazing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I actually think the RS review is good enough for the album. While it doesn't specifically mention the album's name or any of its songs, it pretty much sums up what Cornell is doing now and that the potential music buyer would be better suited to look into Cornell's early days rather than picking up Carry On.

And this whole "appropriate for his age" thing is nonsense. Look at fuckin' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Mick looks like a recently deceased stick, strutting around on stage like a damn chicken and he's been doing that shit for 40 years. And Keith. The old catcher's mitt is climbing coconut trees. Cornell's "adult pop" stuff is boring just like the majority of Eric Clapton's "adult pop" material. I understand that some artists like it settle down and take it easy as they get older and thats fine with me, but they can at least make it good and put some kind of effort into it. I mean, how much effort could Cornell have put into this album when on the first song we hear a riff from Velvet Revolver? I like pop music as much as the next teenage girl (yes, I have FutureSex/LoveSound) and I have no problem with Cornell pursuing that, but he can at least make it entertaining and with some quality. Carry On is my most disappointing album of the year. Hell, just put out a covers album and call it day.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Fuck Rolling Stone Magazine, really. Go watch that vid of Ed wiping his ass with the 2006 issue that featured him on the cover, and you'll feel a lot better. :)
  • I bought this album on Wednesday after listening to the songs on the web for 2 days. I really like 5 or 6 songs and there are some others that I think will grow on me. Maybe I wouldn't put any of these songs in my top 5 or 10 Cornell songs, but the songs there are songs on other Cornell albums that I dislike more than anything on this one. Obviously, everyone has their own opinions, but I enjoyed most of Audioslave and I enjoy Carry On as well.
    let the living love

formerly: dividedbyfear
  • DOSW wrote:
    Nah, Jack White would be so preoccupied picking out his matching red and black suits and yelling at Meg to stop practicing that he wouldn't have the time to avoid Chris Cornell's steady stream of piss. Then he'd write some awful piano ballad about how his girlfriend will no longer go out with him because he's covered in piss.

uh oh is this going to start a Icky Thump vs Carry On thread. Count me down for Icky Thump
    uh oh is this going to start a Icky Thump vs Carry On thread. Count me down for Icky Thump

Nah, I'll defend Cornell forever, but there's no way I can defend his new album. Icky Thump will be a lot better, and I don't even like the WS.
    DOSW wrote:

White Stripes voted one of the 10 bands you must live before you die
    JackWhite voted one of the top 25 guitarists of all time
    Jack White ranked higher than Cornell in Q magazines greatest singers of all time

Cornell voted number one in "Using early 90's fame to substaniate a career" magazine
    Cornell was last seen pleading for a guest spot on Sesame Street.. big bird told him to fuck off or a restraining order would be acquired
    Cornell last album is unique in that it sold less than Hitlers "lets kill Jews" CD single... of which only 2 were made.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    The review was short. It wasn't one of the main reviews so they get less space for it. There is only so much you can fit in and you can't expect a song by song anylasis. It seems to me the writer was just simply saying that Cornell appears to have lost his edge a while ago and has been slowly digressing on his albums. Apparently they aren't the only ones who have been luke warm on this album. I have heard hardly any buzz on it (other than on this message board of course) and the reviews have not been very good. I wasn't shocked at all when I read the review.
    Brian
    dunkman wrote:
    1. White Stripes voted one of the 10 bands you must live before you die
    2. JackWhite voted one of the top 25 guitarists of all time
    3. Jack White ranked higher than Cornell in Q magazines greatest singers of all time

4. Cornell voted number one in "Using early 90's fame to substaniate a career" magazine
    5. Cornell was last seen pleading for a guest spot on Sesame Street.. big bird told him to fuck off or a restraining order would be acquired
    6. Cornell last album is unique in that it sold less than Hitlers "lets kill Jews" CD single... of which only 2 were made.

1. Okay.
    2. Jack's a really good guitarist.
    3. If you honestly think Jack White is a better singer than Chris Cornell, then you are either a.) deaf, or b.) have some vicious bacterial disease which causes your eardrums to slowly melt away into your brain cavities, soon causing deafness. It's actually less painful than listening to Get Behind Me Satan, though.

4. "Using early 90's game to substantiate a career" magazine is a quality magazine once you get past the Doc Martens ads.
    5. Jack White would go on Sesame Street, but frankly that means he would have to at one point step outside. And as we all can tell by looking at him, he obviously has some severe allergic reaction to sunlight. And good music.
    6. Carry On blows, but at least it doesn't feature Meg White on drums.
  • The album does suck indeed though...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • dunkman wrote:
    White Stripes voted one of the 10 bands you must live before you die
    JackWhite voted one of the top 25 guitarists of all time
    Jack White ranked higher than Cornell in Q magazines greatest singers of all time

Cornell voted number one in "Using early 90's fame to substaniate a career" magazine
    Cornell was last seen pleading for a guest spot on Sesame Street.. big bird told him to fuck off or a restraining order would be acquired
    Cornell last album is unique in that it sold less than Hitlers "lets kill Jews" CD single... of which only 2 were made.

I don't really care if he aint producing the best stuff of his career anymore because.....

Soundgarden >>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Jack White will ever produce

End game.
    I don't really care if he aint producing the best stuff of his career anymore because.....

Soundgarden >>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Jack White will ever produce

End game.

this is about Cornell.. or are you still living on his past glories as well :rolleyes:
  • dunkman wrote:
    this is about Cornell.. or are you still living on his past glories as well :rolleyes:

No doubt about it, I sure am living in the past. But you are simply comparing one aspect of his career (arguably his only truly crap album-have you heard EM, it is brilliant!) to the WS and using some magazine countdown to justify your case at that.
    No doubt about it, I sure am living in the past. But you are simply comparing one aspect of his career (arguably his only truly crap album-have you heard EM, it is brilliant!) to the WS and using some magazine countdown to justify your case at that.

look man.. whatever.. the Whites Stripes are culturally more relevant, musically more ground-breaking than Cornell is currently.. i used the magazine articles to highlight his critical acclaim (this is after all a thread about a Rolling Stone review)

but each to their own.. i'm going to struggle for a Whites gig ticket when they tour here.. Cornell actually phoned me up begging me to go... and that was for a 1300 venue... and the WS have been going for 10 years, its not like they are flavour of the month or anything.. cornell was back in 1993 and he had an amazing band back then.. Jack White is a one-man show.. Cornell couldnt string JW's guitar :)
  • dunkman wrote:
    look man.. whatever.. the Whites Stripes are culturally more relevant, musically more ground-breaking than Cornell is currently.. i used the magazine articles to highlight his critical acclaim (this is after all a thread about a Rolling Stone review)

but each to their own.. i'm going to struggle for a Whites gig ticket when they tour here.. Cornell actually phoned me up begging me to go... and that was for a 1300 venue... and the WS have been going for 10 years, its not like they are flavour of the month or anything.. cornell was back in 1993 and he had an amazing band back then.. Jack White is a one-man show.. Cornell couldnt string JW's guitar :)

Until Jack White writes a song as good as Say Hello To Heaven, this argument is pointless.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    sasoj wrote:
    fuck rolling stone...

why?

they are dissing him for having short hair and because his is wearing shirts????????????????????????????????????????????

what the hell?
    i guess hair is important in making an album

I read this a couple of days ago in RS. I was very surprised they gave his album 2 stars and then gave a crappy review. People have a hard time with change. I happen to LOVE the new album. Can't wait to see him again this summer. :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
    Until Jack White writes a song as good as Say Hello To Heaven, this argument is pointless.

as are comments like that... its personal taste.. but Cornells latest album has received an overwhelming slamming.