Weezer- The "Blue" Album

BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Quite possibly my favorite album of all time.
How do you guys feel about it?
"Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I used to think the blue album was my favorite weezer album, but now i think pinkerton is my favorite.....actually i dont know, at different times of the day i could pick either to be my favorite
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    I like the Blue album but I like Pinkerton more. Pinkerton's strength is the album is strong and solid as a whole without fillers, while the Blue album's strength is the inclusion of their 2 biggest singles that defined them, Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So with some songs worth skipping.

Nonetheless, Rivers Cuomo is better than Kurt Cobain.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    bestsane wrote:
    I like the Blue album but I like Pinkerton more. Pinkerton's strength is the album is strong and solid as a whole without fillers, while the Blue album's strength is the inclusion of their 2 biggest singles that defined them, Buddy Holly and Say It Ain't So with some songs worth skipping.

I'd be interested to Know which songs you consider filler, because I love every song. I'm not discounting your opinion. I'm just curious
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Love both Pinkerton and the Blue album.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • overrated

i'd take pinkerton, green, and maladroit over it
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • It's a keeper.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    One of my favorite albums of all time. Every song is good. Only in Dreams is my favorite Weezer song.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    bestsane wrote:

Lol, where did that come from?.... no one mentioned Cobain/Nirvana.

Its a pretty good album, ive been put off Weezer over the past few years though. Beverly Hills is an awful song.
  • blue album is great...so is pinkerton...they should have retired after that...everything since has been garbage.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the blue album is very great.
    I just bought the vinyl.
    This is a very good record o listen in the morning, to make the day start in good mood...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    blue is a classic.. pink is my fav.. the others are smelly
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    Got some good songs on it. I like The Sweater Song
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
    overrated

i'd take pinkerton, green, and maladroit over it

Really, Have you listened to them all extesively? How old were you when "Blue" came out?
    I only ask because this album has taken on extended meaning to me over time

Here's some of my thoughts on it
    Many of Rivers' lyrics seem simple and childish, However even a line as simple as "You take your car to work, I'll take my board(Surf Wax America) conveys a message of: I know my methods are unconventional but they work for me and i'm happy, so I don't care what tou think
    The World Has Turned and Left Me Here, My God, Who couln't relate to that? you think your ahead of the game and things are going well, and than poof, your left behind by an unforseen change and all you can do is lament what went wrong and how to go on
    Only in Dreams is one of the most beatifiul statements of unrequited love I have ever heard.
    In short I LOVE THIS RECORD
    The melodies are tight and "Beach Boyesque"
    The lyrics are underestated but good
    The music is sharp and heavy without sacrificing melody

I'm sure some will flame away,
    but I just wanted to stimulate some conversation

• Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Can't beat the Green record,reminds me of a great holiday in California.
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Blue has to be the best work they put out. I listen to it without skipping a song. It works in soo many situations, weather you are chillin outside in the summer drinking a beer or sitting inside on a cold day.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Really, Have you listened to them all extesively? How old were you when "Blue" came out?
    I only ask because this album has taken on extended meaning to me over time

i was 18 or 19 when blue came out. i dunno, its just kinda bland for me. i love green and maladroit (talk about an underrated album) though.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Brainofdz wrote:
    i love this album...anyone heard of The Rentals? Matt Sharp?
    grimmy
  • I think the blue album is a 100x better than anything else they have put out.

The world has turned, my name is jonas, and only in dreams are amazing.

Definitely one of my favorite albums of the 90's.
  • I like the Blue album a lot..i've just heard it so much. Pinkerton is my fave, that album is just beyond awesome. And yeah, I, too, believe Maladroit is underated. I'd easily call it my second fave from them. It's just such a different darker feel from the Green album. I tend to think of those albums together as they came out relatively close to each other by todays standards.
    GRIMMY wrote:
    i love this album...anyone heard of The Rentals? Matt Sharp?

Terrific album. I saw them lst summer in NYC. Lots of fun.

I always said that Weezer was never the same after Matt Sharp left. It threw off the whole nerd/cool guy ratio.

• 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i'm going surfing
    Live Free or Die!
    I'm giving this thread new life because I think it deserves it. Any thougt's?

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Blue rocks!

Hey, I just saw an interview with Rick Rubin and he mentions that Rivers just gave him some demos for the new Weezer album.

I thought rivers said tthat basically they were finished. Interesting news.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • I thought rivers said tthat basically they were finished. Interesting news.
    MTV misquoted him and it snowballed. They are still together :)
  • JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    I, too, love this album. When I find it in my stack of unfiled CD's it makes me totally giddy to put it on. It exists in the CD player for a couple of weeks of unadultered pleasure. My name is Jonah just rocks my world. Such a fun album.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    someone special pointed me in the direction of this album and i have come to love it. my 8 and a half year old loves it too and she has impeccable music taste... so how can you go wrong with that. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I love this album. I will say though that I like Pinkerton better!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • adam42381 wrote:
    One of my favorite albums of all time. Every song is good. Only in Dreams is my favorite Weezer song.

Tempted to agree.
    I used to think it was My Name Is Jonas,
    yet Only In Dreams just has that constant appeal.

However in recent months (why am i still listening to this album any how?) i have become really attached to Surfwax America ... that song just uplifts me in an indescribable way ... its something i turn on and turn up loud when i'm about ready to break something.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Tempted to agree.
    I used to think it was My Name Is Jonas,
    yet Only In Dreams just has that constant appeal.

However in recent months (why am i still listening to this album any how?) i have become really attached to Surfwax America ... that song just uplifts me in an indescribable way ... its something i turn on and turn up loud when i'm about ready to break something.
    Off the blue album, I love Holiday....
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • dirtyT wrote:
    Off the blue album, I love Holiday....

Favorites (as of this month, lol) in near order:
    Surf Wax America
    Only In Dreams
    My Name Is Jonas
    The World Has Turned
    In The Garage
    Holiday

i like that one, but it drags just a smidge for me.
    ;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?