The Only Band That Matters

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    who is the group you paraphrase?
    public enemy. I think its fight the power. "elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Is it an illusion that the music of The Clash helped ease the tensions between blacks and whites in 70's England? Is it another illusion that they're concerts brought people together here in the states as well.

They preached unity and respect of diversity,and lived it. One of the first major rap preformances to a white audience was Grand Master Flash opening up for The Clash in 81 in NYC.

And then theres the music which wasn't decent: More along the lines of spectacular. I really don't know where your coming from on this one Soul,
    Sometimes I think you just like to stir shit up.

much of the time, you're probably right. but i stand by my comments. yes, i think it is an illusion. the clash might have ridden the wave, but they didn't start it. it was an idea whose time had come. furthermore, how big was that impact? how many white kids went to a grandmaster flash show when they WERENT opening for the clash? how many black kids came to a clash show?

they have some good songs, but they were not exactly mind-blowing.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    much of the time, you're probably right. but i stand by my comments. yes, i think it is an illusion. the clash might have ridden the wave, but they didn't start it. it was an idea whose time had come. furthermore, how big was that impact? how many white kids went to a grandmaster flash show when they WERENT opening for the clash? how many black kids came to a clash show?

they have some good songs, but they were not exactly mind-blowing.

fair enough. I do buy into the greatness and importance of The Clash. I believe they had a great influence on broadening the taste of their white audience; whether it be their crossovers in reggae, hip-hop, or funk.
    Your point about the opposite not necasarily being true is probably valid. (drawing large contingents of black fans).
    I do appreciate your comments, however contrary they may seem at times and I will be happy to agree to disagree.
    I look foward to future battles.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • The clash were really good.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the clash are history.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    brain of c wrote:
    the clash are history.

What does that even mean? I suppose the only valid points of conversation are things happening today. Or is ok to talk about things within the last week/month/year? What exactly is the cut-off date for a topic to be relavant? Enlighten me C.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • The Clash were ok, but I like Pearl Jam much, much better. :cool:
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \