The Only Band That Matters

BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Any Clash fans out there

Penny for your thoughts
"Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    you don't have to give me a penny, but i love the clash. i was just listening to london calling the other nite!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    pearl jam matters
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    You betcha - Clash Fan here but they are not the only band that matters.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • I put the clash over PJ any day of the year.
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Something that I literally came across last night and had to photograph because....well, just because. It speaks for itself:

CoachHousePhoto.jpg
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • that is awsome!!!!!!
  • one of the greatest bands ever. I remember ed said when he first heard them they sounded like a revolution, and that you had to choose sides, and that the revolution might actually be coming.

For me, the clash are heros. They were a pioneering punk band and had social consciences. They are about starting the revolution indeed, and they inspire, agitate, and make you want to go out and storm the barricades.

"are you going with your hands on your head or on the trigger of a gun"

I think they really inspired quite a few punk bands to start up, most immediately, I can think of a band named Rancid who are clearing inspired by the clash.

Joe Strummers political conscience also politicized many people, many punk fans.

Know Your Rights, White Riot, Tommy Gun, London Calling, The Clampdown, Lost in the Supermarket, The Call Up, Know Your Rights, Straight to Hell.

Thats the sound of revolution folks....

The Clash inspired me to become more political, to be more active in the movements, and to become more radical.

My life was changed by the clash. They ARE PUNK to me. The Clash, the Ramones, and The Dead Kennedys are IT!

When Joe Strummer died the world lost a true hero and person of prestige and importance.

The Clash, over 20 years after they broke up, still are the only band that matters.

If joe was still alive you can bet he would be out with all the antiwar activists protesting this goddamn awful war.

The clampdown protests the idea of getting jobs, the call up calls on people to resist the draft an resist fighting the wars our nation starts, Straight to Hell talks about the after effects of Vietnam.

THE CLASH ROCK!
  • I think EVERYONE is a Clash fan to some extent.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    bookmuse wrote:
    You betcha - Clash Fan here but they are not the only band that matters.

"The Only Band That Matters" was the nickname of The Clash.

I'm certainly not making a literal statement with it.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

one of the greatest bands ever. I remember ed said when he first heard them they sounded like a revolution, and that you had to choose sides, and that the revolution might actually be coming.

For me, the clash are heros. They were a pioneering punk band and had social consciences. They are about starting the revolution indeed, and they inspire, agitate, and make you want to go out and storm the barricades.

"are you going with your hands on your head or on the trigger of a gun"

I think they really inspired quite a few punk bands to start up, most immediately, I can think of a band named Rancid who are clearing inspired by the clash.

Joe Strummers political conscience also politicized many people, many punk fans.

Know Your Rights, White Riot, Tommy Gun, London Calling, The Clampdown, Lost in the Supermarket, The Call Up, Know Your Rights, Straight to Hell.

Thats the sound of revolution folks....

The Clash inspired me to become more political, to be more active in the movements, and to become more radical.

My life was changed by the clash. They ARE PUNK to me. The Clash, the Ramones, and The Dead Kennedys are IT!

When Joe Strummer died the world lost a true hero and person of prestige and importance.

The Clash, over 20 years after they broke up, still are the only band that matters.

If joe was still alive you can bet he would be out with all the antiwar activists protesting this goddamn awful war.

The clampdown protests the idea of getting jobs, the call up calls on people to resist the draft an resist fighting the wars our nation starts, Straight to Hell talks about the after effects of Vietnam.

THE CLASH ROCK!

Exactly, the type of post I was hoping to evoke
    Could'nt have said it better my friend

Cheers

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Any Clash fans out there

Penny for your thoughts

yeah, you just reminded me i need to pay a visit to the over-rated bands thread...
    yeah, you just reminded me i need to pay a visit to the over-rated bands thread...

Don't even start Soulsinging: They may be no Silverchair, but they'll do.

as far as real music goes, you herb

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brainofdz wrote:

silverchair play real music.
    but yes there have been times in my life when the clash were the only band that mattered. but that just could have been one of those times when i was lost in the supermarket. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    silverchair play real music.
    but yes there have been times in my life when the clash were the only band that mattered. but that just could have been one of those times when i was lost in the supermarket. :p

You'll be lost in a world of pain if I hear you speak ill of The Clash.

Brainofdz wrote:
    You'll be lost in a world of pain if I hear you speak ill of The Clash.

oh please :rolleyes: don't threaten me. it makes me giggle. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    played some Clash today at work, didn't realize how much I liked Sandinista, I mean The first one and London Calling get all the press (deservedly so) but Sandinista has some great tracks and I do love my Give em Enough Rope
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • The Clash are great. I recently got really into them and they kick ass. They have some of the catchiest songs of all time.
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    awesome band.

clash >>>>>>>>>> ramones
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    There was never a lot of music in my house when I was a kid, but one of the few albums my Dad owned was London Calling. I can't remember the first time I heard it, but I know I loved it from the first second. when I was 5/6 years old I didn't really understand the lyrics. I thought Lost in the Supermarket was about being Lost in the Supermarket (and at 6 years old that really spoke to me :D). But the songs were amazingly written and very catchy. I probably had some sort of idea that they were stickin it to the man, I just didn't really cop exactly what they were saying.
    Years went by, and when I hit the end of childhood and my early teens I began to listen to music properly. I revisited London Calling, and consequently moved on to the rest of their catalogue. Obviously when I was older I 'got' them a little more, and they have affected me pretty profoundly. they are the only band who rival Pearl Jam in my head.
    The Clash have always been a part of my life and they will stay with me to the day I die.
    Y'know the way people are always supposed to remember where they were when they heard JFK died? Well I'll always remember where I was when I heard Joe Strummer died (I was sitting in the barbers chair). That was the only time I can remember that I was truly upset when a 'famous personality' died. He's still a hero of mine. At least we will always have the music.
    Viva la Revolution!
    Viva la Clash!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Awesome post Hitch. that's the kind of post i was waiting to get to when this thread started.

i've just now in my mid to late twenties really started to love the clash. Just now started to dig thru the lyrics and have more then a generalized, vague idea about what Strummer was on about. One of my favorite writers. And I think of Strummer as a writer, not a lyricist, for whatever that means.

For worse not better, in this unperfect world i'm glad there was no reunion. Let Sting, Gn'R, and those breed have the big dollars. The Clash had and always will have the moral high ground, not to mention the tunes.

Hammersmith anyone?
  • My daddy was a bankrobber
    But he never hurt nobody
    He just loved to live that way
    And he loved to steal your money

Some is rich, and some is poor
    Thats the way the world is
    But I dont believe in lying back
    Sayln how bad your luck is

So we came to jazz it up
    We never loved a shovel
    Break your back to earn your pay
    An dont forget to grovel

The old man spoke up in a bar
    Said I never been in prison
    A lifetime serving one machine
    Is ten times worse than prison

Imagine if all the boys in jail
    Could get out now together
    Whadda you think theyd want to say to us?
    While we was being clever

Someday youll meet your rocking chair
    Cos thats where were spinning
    Theres no point to wanna comb your hair
    When its grey and thinning

Run rabbit run
    Strike out boys, for the hills
    I can find that hole in the wall
    And I know that they never will
    "Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
  • amentvedderamentvedder Posts: 3,610
    Brainofdz wrote:
    The Only Band That Matters
    Any Clash fans out there
    traitordm4.png
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    I love The Clash and I seen them live around 1978,cos I am old and quite lucky.That said it is a very silly title for a thread.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Brainofdz wrote:

yeah, but ive got no illusions that silverchair are some grand agent of social upheaval. the clash wrote some decent songs. but most of their image was all style and no substance. lots of talk about revolution while they all wore expensive leather and got rich.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    eclectic wrote:
    I love The Clash and I seen them live around 1978,cos I am old and quite lucky.That said it is a very silly title for a thread.
    Not so silly really...

Especially because those of us who popped into this thread probably did so because of the title. Those words are simply what The Clash have come to be known as. Worldwide. It's their second name.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    dharma69 wrote:
    Not so silly really...

Especially because those of us who popped into this thread probably did so because of the title. Those words are simply what The Clash have come to be known as. Worldwide. It's their second name.

Okay fair enough,very silly nickname then!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    yeah, but ive got no illusions that silverchair are some grand agent of social upheaval. the clash wrote some decent songs. but most of their image was all style and no substance. lots of talk about revolution while they all wore expensive leather and got rich.
    I was hoping I wouldnt have to post this. thankfully you have already done it. I like a few Clash songs based on them being catchy/having something vaguely important to say but to be honest, to paraphrase a certain other "revolutionary" group, the clash never meant shit to me. I dont get the hero worship. to me they are one of many bands who I like (and sometimes love) the music of but dont like as a band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Any Clash fans out there

Penny for your thoughts
    saw them probably 5 or 6 times i really enjoyed them specially here in NY CITY they seem to really like the vive of this city anybody see them at the PEIR 3 night stand unforgettable ,it was GA seats so you had to be there early to get up front and once up front we dare not leave those seats if you had to piss you either did it right there or held it in .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Is it an illusion that the music of The Clash helped ease the tensions between blacks and whites in 70's England? Is it another illusion that they're concerts brought people together here in the states as well.

They preached unity and respect of diversity,and lived it. One of the first major rap preformances to a white audience was Grand Master Flash opening up for The Clash in 81 in NYC.

And then theres the music which wasn't decent: More along the lines of spectacular. I really don't know where your coming from on this one Soul,
    Sometimes I think you just like to stir shit up.

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I was hoping I wouldnt have to post this. thankfully you have already done it. I like a few Clash songs based on them being catchy/having something vaguely important to say but to be honest, to paraphrase a certain other "revolutionary" group, the clash never meant shit to me. I dont get the hero worship. to me they are one of many bands who I like (and sometimes love) the music of but dont like as a band.

who is the group you paraphrase?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say