finally going to see tool in concert

2»

Comments

• jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    Binaural wrote:
    They've been chucking in Opiate and Swamp randomly but thats it.
    Songs this tour are:
    Stinkfist
    Jambi
    46 & 2
    Vicarious
    Opiate
    Swamp
    Wings For Marie
    10,000 Days Wings Pt 2
    Right In Two
    The Pot
    Lateralus
    Rosetta Stoned

They'll play between 9 and 11 songs but don't worry "we're not fucking Green Day, a song can last 20 minutes" :D They have hinted about dropping in Ticks & Leeches and Parabol into their sets but no appearance yet.

Looks like a fuckin great setlist - can't wait to see Jambi, The Pot and Rosetta Stoned! Listening to 10000 Days now for the first time in a month or so. I love this album. Definitely tied with Avocado for my favorite of 2006.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    jdub3001 wrote:
    Looks like a fuckin great setlist - can't wait to see Jambi, The Pot and Rosetta Stoned! Listening to 10000 Days now for the first time in a month or so. I love this album. Definitely tied with Avocado for my favorite of 2006.
    Yeah it is. Both The Pot and Rosetta SToned will blow your mind, they were anticipated big time when I was waiting in line before the gig. The Pot because Maynard is really showcasing his voice and I wanted to hear if he could hit the notes and Rosetta Stoned because I wanted to know if they could emulate the vocal effects live, needless to say they didn't Dissapoint. Though I will say that A/Enima was absolutely insane but 10,000 Days stole the show for me, it is just incredible in a live setting, the cymbal work really showcases Daney's creativity and the way that the tempo builds just brings the crowd to fever pitch.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Never could get into Tool.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Never could get into Tool.
    I hated them when I first heard them, same with Nine Inch Nails. I guess what made me really give them both a try was an appreciation for what they were trying to do with their music. Anything in particular that turns you off them?

Dublin 08/06
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    Never could get into Tool.

i never did before last year but you should try to catch one of their gigs ,the show i saw really blew me away totally ,sound ,visually ,atmosphere just a great show ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Binaural wrote:

They'll play between 9 and 11 songs but don't worry "we're not fucking Green Day, a song can last 20 minutes" :D They have hinted about dropping in Ticks & Leeches and Parabol into their sets but no appearance yet.

Parabola and Ticks & Leeches.. wow. I might not make it ouf of this show alive.

Id love Hooker with a penis though.

(good thing i work in my own cube, cuz people at work would have some questions about that last line)
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1

Id love Hooker with a penis though.

(good thing i work in my own cube, cuz people at work would have some questions about that last line)
    Lol, yeah I mean having a conversation about TOOL should rarely be a public thing what with phrases like Stinkfist, Prison Sex and shitting the bed (a la Rosetta Stoned) :D

Dublin 08/06
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    jdub3001 wrote:

ha! lost keys and rosetta stoned are just soooo much better live than on the record (no silly doctor/nurse voiceover!). they way they reproduce the wailing noises in ...keys is a sight to behold!

they opened with ticks and leeches in europe touring lateralus second time around. and they played parabol/parabola then too. both songs were awesome.

as good as tool are they have been playing the same set list (barring a few variations) for the best part of a year. it would be nice to see tham add/swap a few songs around. although i hope wings/10,000 days remain. they are incredible live - very emotional too.
  • Binaural wrote:
    I hated them when I first heard them, same with Nine Inch Nails. I guess what made me really give them both a try was an appreciation for what they were trying to do with their music. Anything in particular that turns you off them?

Nah, I guess it's just their overall sound....doesn't really appeal to me. I dunno though. I like plenty of different bands from NIN to Modest Mouse to Nirvana, but Tool never really caught on with me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Tonight is it! Anyone else on here from the D/FW area making it to the show?
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    jdub3001 wrote:
    Tonight is it! Anyone else on here from the D/FW area making it to the show?

You are gonna have THE BEST night jdub! :)

Let us know how awesome it is tomorrow please?

For those of us that have to live vicariously through others! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    You are gonna have THE BEST night jdub! :)

Let us know how awesome it is tomorrow please?

For those of us that have to live vicariously through others! ;)

I certainly will. Just another 1/2 hour of work then it's off to the show!
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    wondering how the show was!!
    xscorcho wrote:
    wondering how the show was!!

Unfuckingbelievable!

I knew it was gonna be a good show, but I had no idea how good these guys are live until last night. Neither my friends or I had ever been to the Ft. Worth Convention Center, and we were a little worried about our seats because I had forgotten to buy tix the day they went on sale, so the available seats were pretty shitty when I finally ordered them. However, the venue is relatively small, so even the nosebleeds offer a pretty good view. The stage setup was crazy cool - white plexiglass looking material - somewhat translucent, with a riser in the back for the drums and a spot for Maynard to stand. Adam and Justin were at the front of the stage on opposite corners. Behind the stage, there were about 6 or 8 pretty big screens for the graphics. The entire setup was very clean, not cluttered like many band's stages are.

I had to look up the set list because I was getting it all mixed up after the first 2 songs, so here it is:

Jambi
    Stinkfist
    46 and 2
    Schism
    Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned
    Intension Intro>Right In Two
    Wings>10,000 Days
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Aenima

10,000 Days is my favorite tool album so far - I've been calling it their Wall - so I was glad to see a lot of new songs played. The graphics and lighting were awesome right off the bat, but got even better about 1/3 of the way through the show when they added the lasers! The shitty seats paid off here because we had the advantage of being able to see the lasers in their full glory. The production of this show was probably the best that I have ever seen.

As far as the performance goes, I thought they nailed every song perfectly. I read a couple of other reviews that said Maynard seemed kind of out of it, but since I have never seen them before last night, I didn't have anything to compare the performance to. However, tool is now a band that is officially on my "will travel to see" list. I'm gonna to say that they just made their way right up to second place on that list, right behind PJ.

I took some videos and photos with my phone, but I forgot it at the house this morning, so I haven't really had a chance to see how any of them turned out. If they are worth a damn, I'll post some links, but I'm not too hopeful because like I said before, our seats were shit.

I've been to some really good shows since moving to TX, but this one has been the best yet. Cornell was good a couple weeks ago, and I'm sorry everyone, but he ain't got shit on tool. I almost want to hop in the truck and haul ass down to San Antonio on Monday...

Anyone who has not seen this band live yet, what the fuck are you waiting for?!?

:D
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    jdub3001 wrote:

The shitty seats paid off here because we had the advantage of being able to see the lasers in their full glory.

glad you liked it!!
    i saw them two nights in a row and the first i had bleeder seats.... the lasers were awesome, but the second night i was on the floor and it was completely different being under the lasers... the smoke was rising into them giving them a crazy effect..... both nights were awesome!!
    man, i want to see them again so bad.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Tool is gonna play in Hungary for the first time:D:D:D!!! Finally!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    jdub3001 wrote:
    Unfuckingbelievable!

I knew it was gonna be a good show, but I had no idea how good these guys are live until last night. Neither my friends or I had ever been to the Ft. Worth Convention Center, and we were a little worried about our seats because I had forgotten to buy tix the day they went on sale, so the available seats were pretty shitty when I finally ordered them. However, the venue is relatively small, so even the nosebleeds offer a pretty good view. The stage setup was crazy cool - white plexiglass looking material - somewhat translucent, with a riser in the back for the drums and a spot for Maynard to stand. Adam and Justin were at the front of the stage on opposite corners. Behind the stage, there were about 6 or 8 pretty big screens for the graphics. The entire setup was very clean, not cluttered like many band's stages are.

I had to look up the set list because I was getting it all mixed up after the first 2 songs, so here it is:

Jambi
    Stinkfist
    46 and 2
    Schism
    Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned
    Wings>10,000 Days
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Aenima

10,000 Days is my favorite tool album so far - I've been calling it their Wall - so I was glad to see a lot of new songs played. The graphics and lighting were awesome right off the bat, but got even better about 1/3 of the way through the show when they added the lasers! The shitty seats paid off here because we had the advantage of being able to see the lasers in their full glory. The production of this show was probably the best that I have ever seen.

As far as the performance goes, I thought they nailed every song perfectly. I read a couple of other reviews that said Maynard seemed kind of out of it, but since I have never seen them before last night, I didn't have anything to compare the performance to. However, tool is now a band that is officially on my "will travel to see" list. I'm gonna to say that they just made their way right up to second place on that list, right behind PJ.

I took some videos and photos with my phone, but I forgot it at the house this morning, so I haven't really had a chance to see how any of them turned out. If they are worth a damn, I'll post some links, but I'm not too hopeful because like I said before, our seats were shit.

I've been to some really good shows since moving to TX, but this one has been the best yet. Cornell was good a couple weeks ago, and I'm sorry everyone, but he ain't got shit on tool. I almost want to hop in the truck and haul ass down to San Antonio on Monday...

Anyone who has not seen this band live yet, what the fuck are you waiting for?!?

Thanks jdub!! Awesome review! Everything that a girl could want to know!! :)
    I wondered if we'd have a convert? Looks like you loved it! As I suspected you would! :) I saw them 3 or 4 years ago now after waiting and wanting to for over 6 years and they were superb and certainly still in my minds eye one of the greatest nights of my life concert wise. Excluding PJ of course!! :D
    I missed them on the most recent tour here earlier in the year, but they are coming back and I'll be there with bells on! I can't wait!! So glad you enjoyed it! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    jdub3001 wrote:
    Unfuckingbelievable!

Jambi
    Stinkfist
    46 and 2
    Schism
    Lost Keys>Rosetta Stoned
    Wings>10,000 Days
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Aenima

Thats awesome jdub! Thats the same setlist we got in Dublin except Jambi was the third song played. What did you think of the actual song 10,000 Days? I thought it was the best of the night, just incredible. Oh yeah I agree with the list, in fact as soon as they announced some club shows in London I bought tickets :D and I've only travelled for Pearl Jam. Also I bought nosebleed seats for the show I saw and I agree, if you're in a place around 10,000 capacity or less those seats will pay off!

Dublin 08/06