Chris Cornell Hype

Comments

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "He did some songs with PJ in the early days.. this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper, Sleater-Kinney and all them... if there is a slight PJ connection then uberfans pick-up on it and just think its amazing without really formulating their own thoughts on it."

Well Soundgarden and Pearl Jam both released popular albums round about the same time, and they were lumped in the 'grunge' catagory so I'm not surprised there are a lot of fans of Chris Cornell. Not everything has to be brought back to Pearl Jam.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    i see so much talk about chris cornell on this board. i'm assuming there are a lot of old grunge fans here since it is a pearl jam board but i just don't understand this. i think soundgarden was a descent band and cornell has a great voice but other than that everything post soundgarden i've heard from him has been shit in my opinion. i listened to his new album on myspace and it just sounds like the same old bland bullshit rock you hear on the modern rock radio stations all the time. i even think it's worse than audioslave which i also think was a pretty boring band. can someone please explain to me what is so great about this guy besides his voice (which you could say the same about shitty artists like daughtry), or is this just a loyalty issue. does anyone else agree that this guy is way overrated as a musician? don't jump on me here please, i'm just stating an opinion and want to hear an explanation.

dude, CORNELL IS GOD. don't you know anything?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Different strokes and all that noise... But really?:p

I would have thought that was Cornell's universally-acknowledged triumphant moment.
    Yep. Really. Have the album...never listen to it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    dunkman wrote:
    he said 'besides eddie' :rolleyes:

Cornell is vastly over-rated and the love for him on this board is so incestuous that it makes me NOT want to hear his new stuff...

He did some songs with PJ in the early days.. this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper, Sleater-Kinney and all them... if there is a slight PJ connection then uberfans pick-up on it and just think its amazing without really formulating their own thoughts on it.

this liking things by PJ-osmosis was evident recently when Ed inducted REM into the Hall of Fame. some fans on here were out buying REM records the next day... why? had they never heard of REM before Eddie eulogised them. :confused:

anyway, Cornell is in that boat... he is idolised because he has a PJ connection... and uberfans simply cant NOT like him

Its all personal opinion obviously, so saying '...this is why he recieves his demagogue status...' is complete nonsense, in my personal opinion.

I love Soundgarden and liked them before i knew of any connection with Pearl Jam. I like Sleater Kinney but didnt know there was a connection between them and Pearl Jam. I know there is a connection between Pearl Jam and Ben Harper, but havent heard enough of Ben Harper to discuss him. Finally, im not really a fan of REM.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    I actually think Cornell is a better singer than Eddie to be honest. Pearl Jam are my favourite band but Cornell's voice is good just now, and was out of this world with TOTD and Soundgarden.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    dude, CORNELL IS GOD. don't you know anything?

no i guess i don't know anything. but thanks a lot for the enlightenment. after that little bit of information i think i might have to go buy every album cornell was involved in. you really taught me something new, and for that i am thankful.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    dunkman wrote:

Cornell is vastly over-rated and the love for him on this board is so incestuous that it makes me NOT want to hear his new stuff...

He did some songs with PJ in the early days.. this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper, Sleater-Kinney and all them... if there is a slight PJ connection then uberfans pick-up on it and just think its amazing without really formulating their own thoughts on it.

this liking things by PJ-osmosis was evident recently when Ed inducted REM into the Hall of Fame. some fans on here were out buying REM records the next day... why? had they never heard of REM before Eddie eulogised them. :confused:

anyway, Cornell is in that boat... he is idolised because he has a PJ connection... and uberfans simply cant NOT like him

Right, and i said along with...
    To me, they're pretty darn equal and not because of any pj connection
    I Love Chris's music and LIVE i get same chills I get seeing/hearing Eddie, especially this tour
    If Carry On doesn't do anything for you, listen to Live in Sweden and see if you don't become a convert
    Give us some credit for forming our own opinions...we're not sheep

PJ has definitely exposed me to music I might never have heard, but I'm not buying/supporting anyone I'm not into

and can everyone get over bashing Sleater Kinney
    2 x I saw them live (not with PJ) they were incredible
    Maybe they just had off night?
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    dunkman wrote:

I'm just as big a PJ fan as I am Cornell fan, always have been. His music moves me in the same way that PJ's does.

You say he's over-rated, but from my point of view there are barely any singers out there that can do what he can do with his voice, so for me he is a bit of a rarity, and hearing him at the moment on such great form totally confounds how I feel about his music.
  • i bought vs and totd at the same time, btu already had ten and superunknown. its not about pitting pj and cc against each other but totd was, in eddies own words: 'a beautiful way to be introduced to the whole family' Cornell asked him to duet on hunger strike before pj had played a show together.

so stop whining, there is an undeniable connection between pj and cornell. like ive said many a time: if you dont like it, dont post on it.
  • cornells new album extremly pop based, but i think its pretty obvious that that was the direction he wanted to go in. the mans been making riff rock based music for over 20 years, he's allowed a change. even if its not going to please everyone.

i still find it hard to see how people are getting annoyed about someone else being excited. it doesnt make any sense.....

oh and im one of those people who got to know cornell thru pj, and i think tarantula is a killer song....hope thats ok? wouldnt want to aggrevate anyone else with my excitement over both these artists present and future works... :S
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
    i bought vs and totd at the same time, btu already had ten and superunknown. its not about pitting pj and cc against each other but totd was, in eddies own words: 'a beautiful way to be introduced to the whole family' Cornell asked him to duet on hunger strike before pj had played a show together.

so stop whining, there is an undeniable connection between pj and cornell. like ive said many a time: if you dont like it, dont post on it.

There is an undeniable connection between them, but someone claimed that the reason for Cornell being so popular amongst fans on here was just because of his connection with PJ, which is rubbish in my opinion.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    you need to really understand cornell as an artist and writer to appreciate the new album. plain and simple.

Artist?

The new album is bland generic shite.

Basically.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    you need to really understand cornell as an artist and writer to appreciate the new album. plain and simple.

I actually think the opposite. I think the people that really understand Cornell as an artisit are the ones saying they don't like the album. It's so different from anything he has ever done. I think it's a good album, just not typical Cornell as far as the style goes. You have to listen to it with an open mind.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

i love these types of reply.. you've just come on a thread which you know is going to be slagging off Cornell... why? if YOU dont like it, then dont post on it....

everyone is entitled to an opinion.. why the need to defend him i'll never understand.

if someone slags off The White Stripes or says they are shit, then i just think "brilliant, one less person needing a ticket" gives me a better chance come gig time :):)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    i love these types of reply.. you've just come on a thread which you know is going to be slagging off Cornell... why? if YOU dont like it, then dont post on it....

everyone is entitled to an opinion.. why the need to defend him i'll never understand.

if someone slags off The White Stripes or says they are shit, then i just think "brilliant, one less person needing a ticket" gives me a better chance come gig time :):)
    But would you defend PJ? I think many place him in the same high esteem as they do Eddie and the boys (I don't, but i'm still a fan).
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

audiodave wrote:
    But would you defend PJ? I think many place him in the same high esteem as they do Eddie and the boys (I don't, but i'm still a fan).

nope... i've had friends of mine take the piss out of me about PJ.. my friend text me the other day (he's coming to the gig with me) and said that he likes some of the slower ones but on the faster ones "the singer" sounds like he's the guy from Slayer falling out of a building.

i dont care if people dont like PJ.. i dont care if people dont like any of my bands... i might not understand it but i'm not going to waste breath and time trying to 'convert' them... the only thing i do is correct people on here about strange Beatles things they think are true... but if they dont get the music then its no difference to me
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • im defending cornell against backlash on a pj board because the man paved the way for vocalists like vedder.

stugee is spot on, its the other way round. NO cornell and mother love bone = no PJ
    im defending cornell against backlash on a pj board because the man paved the way for vocalists like vedder.

and i'm pointing out the irony of you posting on a thread that is clearly going to be about the lambastation of Cornell and your post tells us that if we dont like cornell threads, dont post on them... thats a bit hypocritical

stugee is spot on, its the other way round. NO cornell and mother love bone = no PJ

thats pure supposition.
    dunkman wrote:
    and i'm pointing out the irony of you posting on a thread that is clearly going to be about the lambastation of Cornell and your post tells us that if we dont like cornell threads, dont post on them... thats a bit hypocritical

thats pure supposition.

So is saying people only like Cornell because of the Pearl Jam connection.
    stu gee wrote:
    So is saying people only like Cornell because of the Pearl Jam connection.

i cant argue with you... you're from Scotland :)

i think my supposition that some fans only like Cornell cos of the PJ connection is a bit more realistic and measureable in direct comparison to stating that without Cornell there would be NO pearl jam... thats crazy talk and offers a uncalculable scenario.. its subjective to the max or whatever kids say these days
    dunkman wrote:
    i cant argue with you... you're from Scotland :)

i think my supposition that some fans only like Cornell cos of the PJ connection is a bit more realistic and measureable in dorect comparison to stating that without Cornell there would be NO pearl jam... thats crazy talk and offers a uncalcuable scenario.. its subjective to the max or whatever kids say these days

Im not arguing really, just saying. Some people might like Cornell and Soundgarden because of the PJ connection but that's not why i listen to them and credit them as being one of my favourite bands along with PJ. Cornell is, in my opinion, an awsome singer and pretty unique. Im not saying there would be no PJ without Cornell, was just disagreeing that he is only popular because of the connection.
    dunkman wrote:
    nope... i've had friends of mine take the piss out of me about PJ.. my friend text me the other day (he's coming to the gig with me) and said that he likes some of the slower ones but on the faster ones "the singer" sounds like he's the guy from Slayer falling out of a building.

i dont care if people dont like PJ.. i dont care if people dont like any of my bands... i might not understand it but i'm not going to waste breath and time trying to 'convert' them... the only thing i do is correct people on here about strange Beatles things they think are true... but if they dont get the music then its no difference to me
    Fair enough, and I agree to a certain extent. If someone doesn't like a band I like, I don't give a damn, and I won't waste my time trying to force them to. However, if someone tells me that they are crap, I will most likely call them out on their ignorance of the matter. It really annoys me when people call something crap just because they don't like it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    dunkman wrote:

Well, that's just like your opinion, man.
    ii44 wrote:
    Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

thats it is... and its damn awesome if i do say so myself ;)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    dunkman wrote:

That's just insulting to 99% of Cornell fans on this board, myself included.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    That's just insulting to 99% of Cornell fans on this board, myself included.

then my work here is done :)

lighten up for fuck sake
    dunkman wrote:
    then my work here is done :)

lighten up for fuck sake
    :eek:

But it's a messageboard...and...words hurt! :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    To be honest, I think the whole "people only like him cause of the Pearl Jam connection" claim, is pretty tenuous to say the least. More like, he was in a band that happened to be one of the big four bands from Seattle, and a lot of people who got into one of those bands, naturally migrated to the other bands too. They all sang about similar themes and wrote moody hard rock music, so it's totally understandable that people into Pearl Jam would likely be into Soundgarden and thus Cornell too.

The reason why there is so much Cornell talk here, is because Pearl Jam are the only band still going from that scene (ok I know AIC are kind of back together, but it's still not quite the same) and Pearl Jam have a well established message board, with a lot of people to talk to.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    To be honest, I think the whole "people only like him cause of the Pearl Jam connection" claim, is pretty tenuous to say the least. More like, he was in a band that happened to be one of the big four bands from Seattle, and a lot of people who got into one of those bands, naturally migrated to the other bands too. They all sang about similar themes and wrote moody hard rock music, so it's totally understandable that people into Pearl Jam would likely be into Soundgarden and thus Cornell too.

The reason why there is so much Cornell talk here, is because Pearl Jam are the only band still going from that scene (ok I know AIC are kind of back together, but it's still not quite the same) and Pearl Jam have a well established message board, with a lot of people to talk to.

logic is neat
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    CC has one of the great rock voices of all time
    not sure about his instrumental talent, but that dude has some serious pipes

people like him because soundgarden and audioslave(less so) were great rock bands, and because his performances have more or less been getting good reviews

of course there is some bias towards CC for his involvement in TOTD and the fact that he is/was also part of the same seattle scene as PJ