Chris Cornell Hype

LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
edited June 2007 in Other Music
i see so much talk about chris cornell on this board. i'm assuming there are a lot of old grunge fans here since it is a pearl jam board but i just don't understand this. i think soundgarden was a descent band and cornell has a great voice but other than that everything post soundgarden i've heard from him has been shit in my opinion. i listened to his new album on myspace and it just sounds like the same old bland bullshit rock you hear on the modern rock radio stations all the time. i even think it's worse than audioslave which i also think was a pretty boring band. can someone please explain to me what is so great about this guy besides his voice (which you could say the same about shitty artists like daughtry), or is this just a loyalty issue. does anyone else agree that this guy is way overrated as a musician? don't jump on me here please, i'm just stating an opinion and want to hear an explanation.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I love Soundgarden, Audioslave and Cornell solo, its not a loyalty thing with me, i just really like his music. But i do have a few friends that would totally agree with you. To each his own i guess.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I just like the guy (the artist), his voice, his words and the combination thereof.

That's about it.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    i see so much talk about chris cornell on this board. i'm assuming there are a lot of old grunge fans here since it is a pearl jam board but i just don't understand this. i think soundgarden was a descent band and cornell has a great voice but other than that everything post soundgarden i've heard from him has been shit in my opinion. i listened to his new album on myspace and it just sounds like the same old bland bullshit rock you hear on the modern rock radio stations all the time. i even think it's worse than audioslave which i also think was a pretty boring band. can someone please explain to me what is so great about this guy besides his voice (which you could say the same about shitty artists like daughtry), or is this just a loyalty issue. does anyone else agree that this guy is way overrated as a musician? don't jump on me here please, i'm just stating an opinion and want to hear an explanation.

I have been thinking that exact same thing lately....I enjoy Soundgarden....Audioslave (blah!) don't hold up to anything by Rage (just my opinion and I agree they did sound like generic rock) and the solo stuff...let's just say I can find better things to listen to...but again each to their own.....
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    can someone please explain to me what is so great about this guy besides his voice (which you could say the same about shitty artists like daughtry)

woah woah woah, hang on a second there - if you don't recognise the difference between a bog standard 'nu-grunge' voice like Daughty and the vastly superior talents of Cornell, you really don't have that discerning an ear.

The hype surrounding him at the moment is mainly due to his current live shows, in case you haven't heard, he's on incredible form, busting out some of his best performances in years - plus playing songs that he hasn't played in a very long time - which is very exciting for people who didn't get to see Soundgarden/TOTD.

Euphoria Morning has plenty of good stuff on it, very well written songs, albeit very different to the more explosive stuff he did with Soundgarden. The new album isn't that great, but it certianly has its moments.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    besides eddie, that man is going to save the world.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    woah woah woah, hang on a second there - if you don't recognise the difference between a bog standard 'nu-grunge' voice like Daughty and the vastly superior talents of Cornell, you really don't have that discerning an ear.

i knew someone would give me shit for that comparison. i'll agree with you that cornell has a better voice than daughtry, and i would rather listen to his music as well. the point i was trying to make is in my opinion, other than his great voice the music is just sounds like bland corporate rock to me, like all the other shit. is it as bad as daughtry or nickelback? no. but i just don't hear any substance.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i knew someone would give me shit for that comparison. i'll agree with you that cornell has a better voice than daughtry, and i would rather listen to his music as well. the point i was trying to make is in my opinion, other than his great voice the music is just sounds like bland corporate rock to me, like all the other shit. is it as bad as daughtry or nickelback? no. but i just don't hear any substance.

Well then you might has well have just joined one of the many other discussions about the new album instead of creating another thread. I don't mean that in a horrible way or anything, but if your main gripe is about the new album, it seems senseless starting a new thread. The hype (at least from my point of view) is just from having seen him live a few weeks ago, and he was amazing. Go see him live on this tour if you get a chance, and then see how you feel about it!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131

you need to really understand cornell as an artist and writer to appreciate the new album. plain and simple.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    you need to really understand cornell as an artist and writer to appreciate the new album. plain and simple.

I like Chris and I haven't heard the record yet but if that's true then it must not be very good. If you need the background of the artist to like it, there's something missing.
    That said I could easily like this record.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I really liked Soundgarden.
    Audioslave was decent.
    His solo album is pretty bad IMO.

I think he's a really talented guy, but something is def. missing with this album.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

you just made my case for me. i guess you have to be a big fan to like his music. good music is good music, i shouldn't have to even know who chris cornell is if it's any good. plain and simple.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I saw him play one of his new songs on the Henrey Rollins show a while back. I was really stoked at first, but then I realised that it totally sounded like a leftover from the last Audioslave record. His new stuff is just no good.... His last GREAT record was the first Audioslave disk. I am trying not to buy into the hype of Cornell right now even tho I am a huge fan. If the new album is no good then I am not going to force myself to like it. That what I think is what some people are doing with the New Smashing Pumpkins. They are forcing themselves to like "Tarantula" just because its from "the Smashing Pumpkins". Who Cares who its from? If it sucks, it sucks!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    does anyone else agree that this guy is way overrated as a musician? don't jump on me here please, i'm just stating an opinion and want to hear an explanation.

yes, I agree. without Kim Thayil on guitar and Ben Sheppard on bass, Cornell is VERY average. his high voice against Soundgarden's very heavy and dark rhythm is a thing of beauty. but with Rage's "experimental" type sound and his boring solo music, it's bland like you say.

I read somewhere that Soundgarden broke up mostly because Thayil wanted to continue down the heavy path while Cornell wanted to go to a more melancholly emotional type sound (like a 'less heavy' sound for lack of better terms). in hindsight, I can sure as hell see Thayil's point.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Chris Cornell was cool before he destroyed his voice and became Derrick Zoolander with a guitar. I have absolutely no desire to listen to his new album.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    hailhail82 wrote:
    I like Chris and I haven't heard the record yet but if that's true then it must not be very good. If you need the background of the artist to like it, there's something missing.
    That said I could easily like this record.

i hope i didn't ruin it for you .. but seriously it's great. i think a fan will love it. but hey, first time i heard soundgarden i didn't really like it. over time i started listening more and thought they were the most amazing thing out there. from there all chris works were genious to me. maybe a better way to put it is that its an aquired taste. that sounds more like it. it's artistically different than the usual chris. many people are turned off to that. i respect and love it. he's done so much great music and his maturity and musical horizons are only expanding. trust me it's great.

everyone should stop bashing this album because it's different. i think its great.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    for the most part i agree... especially about Audioslave... as far as solo albums I like Euphoria Morning... and his new album although as a whole can come off a tad generic i think works a lot better live

as for Badmotorfinger, Superunknown and Down on the upside... these are classic albums and some of my favourite albums ever and everything post soundgarden doesn't even come remotely close
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Cornell needs to get back to doing hard rock before his voice is gone for good. He reminds me of Robert Plant in the 80's, wasting his talent singing mediocre mid tempo songs.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    besides eddie, that man is going to save the world.

along with eddie :)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    culot4 wrote:
    Chris Cornell was cool before he destroyed his voice and became Derrick Zoolander with a guitar. I have absolutely no desire to listen to his new album.
    oooh ouch, now I'm not a HUGE Cornel fan.
    But the live recordings I've heard lately show his voice is in top form
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    PJ Habit wrote:
    oooh ouch, now I'm not a HUGE Cornel fan.
    But the live recordings I've heard lately show his voice is in top form

yeah its actually recovered quite a bit since audioslave.. he's been pullin out shit like "slaves&bulldozers" so it damn well better be lol
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    culot4 wrote:

hahahah that is funny shit right there!!!!!!!
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    mauichick wrote:
    along with eddie :)

he said 'besides eddie' :rolleyes:

Cornell is vastly over-rated and the love for him on this board is so incestuous that it makes me NOT want to hear his new stuff...

He did some songs with PJ in the early days.. this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper, Sleater-Kinney and all them... if there is a slight PJ connection then uberfans pick-up on it and just think its amazing without really formulating their own thoughts on it.

this liking things by PJ-osmosis was evident recently when Ed inducted REM into the Hall of Fame. some fans on here were out buying REM records the next day... why? had they never heard of REM before Eddie eulogised them. :confused:

anyway, Cornell is in that boat... he is idolised because he has a PJ connection... and uberfans simply cant NOT like him
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
    I thought the same - I was a bit sketchy as to whether I wanted to go and see a singer when the last great album I really liked from him was down on the upside... but go and see the live show... WOW... you'll be converted!
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557

I'm not a massive fan of his solo stuff, some of it yes but prefer his Soundgarden / TotD material. Not made my mind up about the new album yet but I think the hype has been more about the live performances.

I saw him at the Astoria last month and it was such a great performance both by him and the band, live they put on a superb show...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    dunkman wrote:

".....this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper......."

sure enough pearl jam introduced me to his music, but i like his stuff.
    had i heard his music without th PJ connection i'd maybe even like it more.
    savvy?
    but i agree with your main point.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    dunkman wrote:

Cornell is vastly over-rated and the love for him on this board is so incestuous that it makes me NOT want to hear his new stuff...

He did some songs with PJ in the early days.. this is why he receives his demagogue status... like Ben Harper, Sleater-Kinney and all them... if there is a slight PJ connection then uberfans pick-up on it and just think its amazing without really formulating their own thoughts on it.

this liking things by PJ-osmosis was evident recently when Ed inducted REM into the Hall of Fame. some fans on here were out buying REM records the next day... why? had they never heard of REM before Eddie eulogised them. :confused:

anyway, Cornell is in that boat... he is idolised because he has a PJ connection... and uberfans simply cant NOT like him

IT IS NOTTTT because of pj that i love chris cornell ans soundgarden blah blah. when i discovered chris in his works it had no connection whatsoever with pearl jam. i think he is a brilliant musician, great lyricist, vocalist, and every band he was in including his solo stuff is fantastic. i'm sure many other fans think that as well. similar styles of music so maybe thats why lots of pj fans like chris and his works. but trust me, your theory is wrong for 3/4 of the people.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    dunkman wrote:

It takes quite a bit of work on my part to associate Cornell with Vedder/Pearl Jam.

The relationship among them (if one even exists) doesn't even register with me. I like it that way.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • it's not hype. He really is talented...but like anything that has a large fanbase there is the backlash. so most people who like his music (in all forms - that doesnt mean we are blind it just means that we dont expect every song to sound like Slaves and Bulldozers) will share their admiration - and that turns into defending him from people who get very angry about any Chris Cornell mention here. (this is in the OTHER MUSIC section tho - so lighten the hell up!)

that being said, his latest album has a closer tie to Euphoria Morning (which was horribly abused when IT came out) and has very little resemblance to Audioslave. Additionally, I read here that someone called AUdioslave's music "experimental" I think it was redundant...especially the guitar solo...but each is own.

Rolling Stone Magazine didnt give the album good reviews (so that means it actually is pretty good!) but in the process of dissing it they claimed Chris Cornell was only good for "mindless wailing" which should tell you where they stand on him in general...underrated overrated, hyped, abused...these are all subjective.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    dunkman wrote:

I suspect this may be the case for many a PJ fan, especially with artists like Ben Harper and Sleater Kinney, neither of which do anything for me, but I don't think it's the case with most Cornell fans.

I was a fan of Soundgarden long before I had heard any PJ songs other than Alive and Even, flow, and the same goes for Audioslave. Audioslave were a decent enough band, and I reckon people like to bash them as much as they do as it seems to be the done thing.

I also love Euphoria Morning, but I have to say, Carry On isn't doing a thing for me at all. I would still like to see him live though.

Oh, and I'm really not a fan of his loose PJ connection band, TOTD.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodave wrote:
    Oh, and I'm really not a fan of his loose PJ connection band, TOTD.

Different strokes and all that noise... But really?:p

I would have thought that was Cornell's universally-acknowledged triumphant moment.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.